It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It takes a big pair to make the claim of atheism.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance
That's because God comes near to you when you come near to God. You're probably not doing it right.

How do you explain people that were doing it right, but are now atheists?

I did not become an atheist lightly, or overnight.

In fact I practically begged the Lord for a sign at one point, because all other proofs of his existence fell short. There is an assumption (not saying you're making it) sometimes that atheists must have a grudge against God, or that they never truly sought the Lord. Treated like they must not have really had their hear in it. We always hear how God reveals himself to those who seek to find him. I am here to tell you from experience, that is not true.

I love the stories about atheists crying out for a sign, only to have some seemingly miraculous sign from God or even an experience with God. They are hailed has as examples of a loving God. Yet people like me, who were part of the flock, who truly honestly believed in his majesty, get nothing when we cry out to the same God. Instead of it being evidence to suggest their God doesn't exist, it is evidence that we never really tried to know God.

Please....

Maybe it takes a pair to claim atheism. I can put my money where my mouth is.

People who do it right don't become atheists, but believers.

The point is also you need to remain yourself and don't try to leave everything to God. It's a submission to God, as the being you are, not a merging with God.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

Yeah, I know how it works.

Was a Christian for over twenty years.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Oh, that amazes me. So once you were submitted to God, and now you don't believe God exists.

Tell me how that works?

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Oh, that amazes me. So once you were submitted to God, and now you don't believe God exists.

Tell me how that works?

Well it started when I realized there are inaccuracies in the Bible. A selection of texts allegedly divinely inspired no less... That many of the stories aren't original but retellings of or inspired by, older stories. The Deluge, for example. Started learning about the history of the Israelites and other cultures and mythologies. Turned a skeptical eye on the character of God himself and realized how sugar-coated he is. He is a total psychopath if you actually look at his words and actions, after removing your fear of questioning him.

I can't really answer your question in one post because as I mentioned it was a process with many contributing variables. Eventually I decided I couldn't believe in something that had so much evidence against it.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Tell me how that works?

Well it started when I realized there are inaccuracies in the Bible. A selection of texts allegedly divinely inspired no less... That many of the stories aren't original but retellings of or inspired by, older stories. The Deluge, for example. Started learning about the history of the Israelites and other cultures and mythologies. Turned a skeptical eye on the character of God himself and realized how sugar-coated he is. He is a total psychopath if you actually look at his words and actions, after removing your fear of questioning him.

I can't really answer your question in one post because as I mentioned it was a process with many contributing variables. Eventually I decided I couldn't believe in something that had so much evidence against it.

I believe you having been a Christian or let's say believer was nothing but a delusion then.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I believe you having been a Christian or let's say believer was nothing but a delusion then.

Thanks for proving my point, regarding assumptions about atheists.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Thanks for proving my point, regarding assumptions about atheists.

Well, according to your logic you've always been an atheist then, but just a delusional one.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I am not sure how you figure that.

My parents became religious after conceiving me. I grew up in Church. Nothing was forced on me. A day came where I decided I wanted to accept the Lord Jesus Christ into my heart. Acknowledged I was a sinner. Wanted them washed away so I could be 'as white as snow'. I did this privately and on my own accord. It was the most powerful experience of my life for a very, very long time. In those moments, I knew the Lord had heard me because I felt a wind within me, as I knew he was with me from then on out.

I was a Christian first. There was no "before I was a Christian" part of my life.

ETA: Was probably around 7 years old when this happened.

edit on 10-2-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I'd been an atheist from the beginning. Grew up Catholic. Never bought a word of the buslls**t.

Ran into a woman-hating priest-in-training in 7th grade. Came home from catechism and told my mother I was never setting foot in a church again. She didn't argue.

It took a lot to convince me of "intelligent design", which happened in my mid-40's.
edit on 10/2/2017 by Lurker1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
See, really you just can't accept the fact that there are people who will leave Christianity. Any one who has ever left Christianity must not have ever been a real Christian, right? Because once you've formed a relationship with God, how could you ever turn away from that, right? This is why some Christians are so good at ignoring certain facts. Faith keeps them blind.

edit on 10-2-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Any God that would punish me for using my mind to question him and then conclude that he can't be real because in his omnipotence his best evidence of his existence is a shoddy book written by shoddy desert dwellers in bum# nowhere does not deserve an iota of my serious attention.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   

See, really you just can't accept the fact that there are people who will leave Christianity. Any one who has ever left Christianity must not have ever been a real Christian, right? Because once you've formed a relationship with God, how could you ever turn away from that, right? This is why some Christians are so good at ignoring certain facts. Faith keeps them blind.

I can very much, I just don't understand people who have experienced God one day wake up to claim he doesn't exist. It just doesn't sound logical to me. The only explanation would be dementia.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Any God that would punish me for using my mind to question him and then conclude that he can't be real because in his omnipotence his best evidence of his existence is a shoddy book written by shoddy desert dwellers in bum# nowhere does not deserve an iota of my serious attention.

See, you've never been a real believer, you only knew god from a book.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Well fair enough, you are allowed that opinion.

I can understand it from your perspective.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I disagree.

You do not know what my walk was like anymore than I know what yours is like.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Well fair enough, you are allowed that opinion.

I can understand it from your perspective.

Allowed by who? I don't need anyone to allow me such.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I disagree.

You do not know what my walk was like anymore than I know what yours is like.

Why did you leave God then, if it's not too personal to ask?

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

All I meant was you can have whatever opinion you want.

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

It's doesn't bother you, doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 2 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I can answer that. Look at the world we're living in.

"God" is a dick.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join