It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U Of Washington Study Links ‘Microaggressions’ To Whites-No Whites included in study

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

"Ya, gotta keep 'em separated".

one of their best tunes, i like pretty fly to, do you think that's micro or macro aggression. here lets listen.

edit on 29-9-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: fiverx313

If they are not comfortable to speak up (about Micro aggressions) , how are we to take their opinion about a vanilla statement seriously.

Seems like kid gloves created this issue.

link   
i just find it pathetic that you guys have to create this 'manufactured race war' narrative to bend over backwards maintaining your delusion that racism doesn't exist or doesn't cause problems.

and i know for a fact that as an ignorant white person raised in an all-white rural area, i committed micro-aggressions out of total ignorance when i was a young adult. no one called me on them at the time but i know them for what they were, and i'm immensely grateful to know better now, so i can be less of a thoughtless jerk.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

If they are not comfortable to speak up (about Micro aggressions) , how are we to take their opinion about a vanilla statement seriously.

if people are afraid to speak up, it is because speaking up turns them into targets. just look at your own reaction in even thinking about micro aggressions, you're dismissive and rude and touting racial conspiracy.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

you guys

Boom micro aggression, you need to think about my feelings. What if I am questioning?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

you guys

Boom micro aggression, you need to think about my feelings. What if I am questioning?

i would have no way of knowing that. if you told me that you preferred to be referred to another way, i would do as you requested. apples and oranges, and a very weak attempt at an analogy.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

Yes, actually.

I know this, because last week I had to do mandatory annual training for my job, and now we have a course about "Overcoming Subconscious Bias" that focuses a lot on micro aggression. It was the biggest load of sh*t that I've seen in a long time, and that's saying a lot, as much as I'm on ATS.

Did you know that I can ask two women who are leaving together for lunch, "Hey ladies, are you off to go shopping?"

Bot the term "Ladies" and asking if they're "shopping" are micro-aggressive terms.

I mean...holy hell.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
i just find it pathetic that you guys have to create this 'manufactured race war' narrative to bend over backwards maintaining your delusion that racism doesn't exist or doesn't cause problems.

and i know for a fact that as an ignorant white person raised in an all-white rural area, i committed micro-aggressions out of total ignorance when i was a young adult. no one called me on them at the time but i know them for what they were, and i'm immensely grateful to know better now, so i can be less of a thoughtless jerk.

So, the fact that we don't agree with you implies we are all pathetic and ignorant. That there is a microaggression too buddy. See how that works. Any word used in any context can be twisted and used against you if you label it a microaggression.

What good does it do, really? All it does is serve to divide and shut down conversation.

That is not being enlightened, it is being bound and tied to all words being potentially offensive. Without words, how can open communication happen?

But then, I am just a pathetic ignorant American here.

edit on 9/29/2017 by Krakatoa because: spelling

ETA: Oh, and your avatar is also a microaggression against people that are not "ripped" and an offense to being overweight. It appear to me he is in the process of aggressively striking down all those people that struggle with their weight and self image. And with a smile on his face no less! Quite shameful.
edit on 9/29/2017 by Krakatoa because: Added additional thought

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Learn to understand your own language would be a start. He refered to himself as ignorant.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

if people are afraid to speak up, it is because speaking up turns them into targets. just look at your own reaction in even thinking about micro aggressions, you're dismissive and rude and touting racial conspiracy.

Micro agressions exist in th eoffended persons mind alone. unless you know a persons heart you cannot 100 percent say they are being agressive to you. Saying you can is a dam lie.

link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
So, the fact that we don't agree with you implies we are all pathetic and ignorant. That there is a microaggression too buddy. See how that works. Any word used in any context can be twisted and used against you if you label it a microaggression.

that's not actually how that works, because we're in the marketplace of ideas. i can characterize your ideas as i see them.

please, do continue to misconstrue racism for your own purposes. it just proves my point all the more.

no racist, no racist, you're the racist e_e

link   

Excuses excuses.

The point of the post was simple words like guys-fellas-girls can get you in deep doo doo.

And the addressing/grouping of people as guys is indeed a Micro A. I think it is silly, but hey it's colleges.

Fancypants College: Equating Hard Work With Success And Saying ‘You Guys’ Are ‘Microaggressions’ Now
dailycaller.com...

HEY GUYS, CHECK OUT THIS MICRO-AGGRESSION!:
pjmedia.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Micro agressions exist in th eoffended persons mind alone. unless you know a persons heart you cannot 100 percent say they are being agressive to you. Saying you can is a dam lie.

sure, and when i committed micro aggressions i didn't have an aggressive intent. i was ignorant. but the cultural presumption that led me to think what i said was okay was symptomatic of a larger cultural aggression towards minorities -- a dismissiveness toward their very existence as authentic people, since they're different from my mainstream, white life.

don't get too hung up on the name.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Excuses excuses.

The point of the post was simple words like guys-fellas-girls can get you in deep doo doo.

yes, for example if i deliberately misgendered a trans person, that would be wrong. but you're looking for what you think is the dumbest single example, so you can dismiss all of it. that's intellectually dishonest.

link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Learn to understand your own language would be a start. He reffered to himself as ignorant.

Yes, and this was in reference to him now being more enlightened. The fact is finds it pathetic that we are not as enlightened as he is implies we are ignorant.

Perhaps you need to view the larger context on how these microaggression claims are made. Otherwise, your post also implies I am being ignorant as well. How very microaggressive of you.

link   

Yes, and this was in reference to him now being more enlightened. The fact is finds it pathetic that we are not as enlightened as he is implies we are ignorant.

Perhaps you need to view the larger context on how these microaggression claims are made. Otherwise, your post also implies I am being ignorant as well. How very microaggressive of you.

I would say you're more malicious than ignorant, if you want my opinion

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Boom micro aggression, you need to think about whether or not I have the cognitive ability to think about such concepts, or if I have the ability to experience empathy.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

You can't commit a micro aggression without intent.

So actually you're wrong.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I would say you're more malicious than ignorant, if you want my opinion

No, I am using sarcasm to make a point that the microaggression concept is complete BS. It grew from the teachings that everyone is a victim. Frankly, I see that as a submissive approach to life. Frankly, I refuse to allow someone to control my feelings. So, sarcasm is a tool to shine a light on that which is ridiculous.

Unless, of course, that hurts your feelings. Then, that is on you to resolve as nobody can make you feel anything. That is a personal decision.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I have no issues calling people stupid. To deny racism exists is ignorant. To ignore the point of the study we're talking about is stupid.
I don't like stupid people. That's a macroaggression for you.
Haha funny right?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join