It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Republicans admit defeat on health bill as Collins declares her opposition

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

BREAKING: Senate Republicans admitted defeat late Monday afternoon in their latest attempt to undo the Affordable Care Act, even as they aired the plan’s details at a raucous hearing before the Finance Committee.

The panel’s chairman Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah) told reporters that he did not think the measure would come up for a floor vote by the end of the week, after which point Republicans lose the budget authority they need to pass a health-care bill by a simply majority. A short time later, Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) announced she would not support the legislation.

Senate Republicans admit defeat on health bill as Collins declares her opposition

Looks like the latest attempt to repeal Obama Care has failed as Senator Collins has said she will vote no. I wonder how many more times they will try this. For all the complaining about Obamacare for years its obvious that beyond the complaints, the GOP and Trump had nothing planned to replace it with.

edit on 9/25/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
They have until the 30th of this month.

ARE WE TIRED OF WINNING YET

How's that wall?
And Hillary's cell?
ISIS?
We still giving arms to Saudi Arabia?

Is America Great Again yet?

Lol. The Trump administration is an epic, epic failure.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

We need to replace the people in Congress with men and women that have some balls. It isn't Trump's fault that the Republican establishment has a bunch of do nothing Globalist a-holes.

We the People need to fix this come election time.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Someone buys you a sandwich, or you pay even less for that sandwich than market price, however someone else does indeed make up the costs.

Then that sandwich could be taken away but it's currently illegal to not have a sandwich! Meanwhile those that made the sandwich are receiving subsidies as well as compensation from others who pay full price for said sandwich.

Of course it's going to remain unchanged. Did I mention is is a $hyte sandwich?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I hope people learn from this experience. I am hopeful reading some of the wise posts of many here

Sober and honest reflection in the end will allow one to see the truth

McCain and Collins will go down in history as heroes who prevented a human tragedy this bill would have resulted in.

McCain is far from perfect, indeed but there’s the old story of the gangster who near the end of his life risked his own life to save someone else’s and by that deed many of his past sins were erased so God let him in heaven.

Good deeds are what we need to do for each other every day of the week

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

They do but they will not bring it to a vote if they know its going to fail. They don't want another repeat of McCain walking up and giving his dramatic "No" vote.

it effectively dead and Im curious if they will be able to come close on tax reform which is going to be a bloodbath

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
That's what you get when you, really, have almost 10 years to work on a healthcare bill and do nothing.

Obama was elected on the cornerstone of Healthcare reform. A forward thinking politician or strategist would, I would have thought, started planning republican healthcare reform almost as soon as Obama took office or won the election. But....I suppose not.

Why do we keep electing the same idiots to congress decade after decade?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

We need to replace the people in Congress with men and women that have some balls. It isn't Trump's fault that the Republican establishment has a bunch of do nothing Globalist a-holes.

"The buck stops at Trump."

"We the people," keep on attempting to convince one another that "this time, it's gonna be different!," despite it clearly always being more of the same.

It is undoubtedly us, we the people's fault.

Imagine for a second, if you will, 300,000 people SILENTLY protesting Washington D.C. like these football players did yesterday.

What an incredible message that would send...

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

I wouldn't gloat just yet. There's still plenty of time for them to implement a lot of their policies. And I won't trust any of their opposition to this bill until they actually put it to a vote. When dealing with politicians, it's safe to assume that every vote is for sale if the concessions are high enough.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

They do but they will not bring it to a vote if they know its going to fail. They don't want another repeat of McCain walking up and giving his dramatic "No" vote.

it effectively dead and Im curious if they will be able to come close on tax reform which is going to be a bloodbath

Interestingly the country will have enormous bills because of the hurricanes.

I wonder how a huge tax cuts for the rich will look alongside the suffering in Florida, Texas and Puerto Rico

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Of course it's going to remain unchanged. Did I mention is is a $hyte sandwich?

I'm no fan of Obama Care. I pay a ton more (want a ton quantified? about 8000 US more per year) for worse coverage than before. However, no Iteration of Trump Care or Ryan care etc would have made that better. I would have been far far worse off.

I am so very disappointing with the GOP on this. You had years to figure out an acceptable replacement but you ended up messing the bed on this one.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
All of you shut up!

Obamacare is amazing!

It provides everything you need!

That's why all the politicians who voted for it and against it's repeal are also on Obamacare, damn it!

So now you people......wait a minute.....

edit on 25-9-2017 by Black_Fox because: SpeLLing of CouRse

link   

The President can't make laws...it's on Congress.

link   

originally posted by: amazing
That's what you get when you, really, have almost 10 years to work on a healthcare bill and do nothing.

Obama was elected on the cornerstone of Healthcare reform. A forward thinking politician or strategist would, I would have thought, started planning republican healthcare reform almost as soon as Obama took office or won the election. But....I suppose not.

"BECAUSE THIS TIME, ITS GONNA BE DIFFERENT."

Trust me, guys, this guy is "anti-establishment, he's going after Wall Street, closing Guan. Bay, helping college students, legalizing cannabis and gay marriage...."

"BUT THIS TIME, ITS GONNA BE DIFFERENT!"

Trust me, guys, this guy is a "Washington outsider, businessman not a politician, he's gonna lock Hillary up, end ISIS, repeal Obamacare..."

"BUT THIS TIME, ITS GONNA BE DIFFERENT!"

Trust me, guys, this guy is....

"BUT THIS TIME..."

And around and round we go on the merry-go-round.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

The problem is that they didn't really want a good bill.

They wanted a cheap monstrosity. It wasn't in their hearts

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

When folks finally, hopefully, realize that congress is the root cause and problem, we could have a chance to move forward as a country.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

The President can't make laws...it's on Congress.

I'm aware, I'm just pointing out yet another propag-campaign promise that turned out to be as hollow and empty as each and everyone before, and after.

What ever happened to "Republican majority?"

Ah, I digress, it's the deep States fault.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
It's like I told my hysterical Hillary-supporting friend who thought that the ACA would be repealed or replaced. It was never going to happen. Trump is longtime friends with the Clintons, he was a lifelong Democrat and once supported a healthcare system based on Canada's, he played interference for Obama with regard to his buIIsh*t fake birth certificate, both parties are in collusion and have been for decades...

...And Congress would NEVER repeal or replace any legislation that gave them money to spend and caused a great dependency on the federal government. Never.

Trump knew it would never be repealed or replaced. He didn't care if it wasn't.

It's all a show to keep up the appearance of a two party divide.

edit on 9/25/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

I wouldn't gloat just yet. There's still plenty of time for them to implement a lot of their policies. And I won't trust any of their opposition to this bill until they actually put it to a vote. When dealing with politicians, it's safe to assume that every vote is for sale if the concessions are high enough.

I'm gloating?

My apologies.

The ACA is trash. Republicans (I'm a registered Republican) have had.... how many years, now, to work on something better?

About a decade. And here we are.

I'm not gloating. It's a shame. And further proof that both (R) and (D) don't give a # about you, or me.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

So by your own admission you are aware of the problem but want to fall in with the current socially acceptable (and praised) Trump bashing?

Maybe government was never the problem. Afterall, with biases and dissonance such as this, they were simply growing unchecked as designed.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join