It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Republicans admit defeat on health bill as Collins declares her opposition

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

"I'm aware, I'm just pointing out yet another propag-campaign promise that turned out to be as hollow and empty as each and everyone before, and after. "

100% agree.

They ALL lie.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: FredT

When folks finally, hopefully, realize that congress is the root cause and problem, we could have a chance to move forward as a country.

Congress is not full of machines who are untouchable deities.

The root cause and problem?

Americans consume one-hundred billion hours of television weekly.

WE are the problem (not necessarily we on ATS, we have more in common than we realize...) but we, undoubtedly, hold a lions share of the blame.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Maybe they didn't really expect to win?

I liken it to many of the Democrats who are suddenly pro-single payer. When Democrats had overwhelming majorities in both the House and Senate, they didn't give a crap about single payer. In fact, many of the Blue Dog Democrats opposed any changes at all to the healthcare system, which almost led to no healthcare bill being passed. Even Hillary was on record saying single payer would never happen just this 2016 presidential campaign season. But now that Dems don't control either chamber of Congress, the Presidency, or the Supreme Court, they suddenly believe in single payer.

In other words, I think that when either party is out of power, it starts pretending it cares about the policy positions that its base cares about. But once that party gets in power, it implements its actual intentions regardless of what its base wants. I could be wrong, but that's how I'm interpreting this.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox

"I'm aware, I'm just pointing out yet another propag-campaign promise that turned out to be as hollow and empty as each and everyone before, and after. "

100% agree.

They ALL lie.

Preaching to the choir, I vehemently opposed Obama.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
People here are complaining the GOP had ten years to do this.

When something just isn’t in your heart, it’s impossible to do it.

All they can do is come up with crap because they didn’t want to put in the effort to even try to make a workable bill with all the complexity to this issue.

Human beings have to be motivated to do something

GOP members are only motivated to cut taxes for the rich and pass huge defense spending bills

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

So by your own admission you are aware of the problem but want to fall in with the current socially acceptable (and praised) Trump bashing?

Maybe government was never the problem. Afterall, with biases and dissonance such as this, they were simply growing unchecked as designed.

Uh, sure, if that's how you see it.

I didn't support Bush. I didn't support Obama. I didn't support Clinton. I didn't support Sanders. I didn't support Trump.

I don't care what is and isn't socially acceptable and praised.

I don't support authoritarians. I don't buy into Trump's truckload of bull#. I don't know how any intelligent man or woman could.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

It sure seems that way. Americans have wanted healthcare reform, since Bill Clinton was in office. That was one of Hillary's pet projects as first lady and it was very popular back then.

Why can't we have healthcare reform? Because none of the rich old guys want it. Got it.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
People here are complaining the GOP had ten years to do this.

When something just isn’t in your heart, it’s impossible to do it.

All they can do is come up with crap because they didn’t want to put in the effort to even try to make a workable bill with all the complexity to this issue.

Human beings have to be motivated to do something

GOP members are only motivated to cut taxes for the rich and pass huge defense spending bills

You're definitely not wrong about the huge defense spending bills.

I at least expected them to TRY. They clearly didn't.

I find it funny how "the deep state," is the new scapegoat for all the GOP's failures though (considering its Republican majority, they can't blame the left as per usual).

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Sorry, it seemed like gloating. My bad.

I'm just saying that it's too early to write anything off, good or bad. It took the ACA roughly a full year of debate before it passed, and that was with a lot of amendments and public discourse. The GOP's healthcare bills this year haven't had nearly that much debate or public discourse.

I'm almost obsessed with a single payer healthcare plan so I don't particularly care for the ACA or any of the GOP's current alternatives. However there's still almost 14 more months before the mid-term elections, which means that they can still try to lock up Hillary, build the wall, repeal the ACA, bomb & invade ISIS-held lands, etc. That's why I'm taking all of these current "no" votes with a grain of salt.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Maybe they didn't really expect to win?

maybe but the optics on this are terrible, and it really threatens the conservative bases support for the more mainstream GOP. The Tea party can hymn and haw but they will never have the majority needed to run the GOP and the rest of the country without the moderates support.

Unless the Tea party elements want to use the failure to change the GOP leadership. But again, even with a tea party member as Speaker or Majority leader they still need the moderates

They would have been in much better shape if they had simply moved on or even pretend to have hearing etc. You cannot blame this on the Dems etc. You can only point the blame finger internally.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The issue is "Obamacare" IS the Republican healthcare plan originating in the Heritage Foundation in 1986, continuing with the plan offered in 1993 in variance to Hillarycare, and every plan offered up to and including the ACA in which Grassley and two others worked with three Democrats to craft the ACA ... and then bailed on it.

They don't have "another" plan because what we have is their plan ... to the great shame of the Democratic party.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Boy...your a clear thinker

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
They have until the 30th of this month.

ARE WE TIRED OF WINNING YET

How's that wall?
And Hillary's cell?
ISIS?
We still giving arms to Saudi Arabia?

Is America Great Again yet?

Lol. The Trump administration is an epic, epic failure.

What do you mean we?

Wall is coming , partially funded already

Hillary is still insane. Up in the air about what needs to happen . I say a round padded cell with one of those shirts with no sleeves

Its called Arms Sales...look it up...

If we can get shed of the miscreants and malfeasance . Look those up as well

All your questions answered and in one post. And I didnt even break a sweat.
Deny Ignorance.

edit on 9/25/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
The issue is "Obamacare" IS the Republican healthcare plan originating in the Heritage Foundation in 1986, continuing with the plan offered in 1993 in variance to Hillarycare, and every plan offered up to and including the ACA in which Grassley and two others worked with three Democrats to craft the ACA ... and then bailed on it.

They don't have "another" plan because what we have is their plan ... to the great shame of the Democratic party.

Your right, but beggars cant be choosers

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
When the two new ObamaCare taxes kick in on every non-poor American who has health insurance, even those who are cheering the Graham-Cassidy defeat will be pissed off. (But they won't blame the Obama Administration, who put these hand grenades in the law.)
edit on 9/25/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Perhaps someone in the GOP should look at the 1956 Republican Platform.

Lots of good ideas there to start with.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Time for Recall and Replace yet?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I think that's also the situation with Trump's tax plan. A lot of people don't seem to remember that roughly 82% of the Bush tax cuts were made permanent in 2013 during the Obama administration (HERE). In other words, the vast majority of the Republican tax plan is already in effect right now. So it's not hard to see why they haven't already pushed through a new tax plan yet.

Of course, there are still 14 more months until the midterms and roughly 16 more until the next Congress is sworn in. So there's still plenty of time for that too.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I wonder how CNN will re-cast the debate tonight between Bernie Sanders and Lindsay Graham?
The terrorist TV Network NEEDS VIEWERS!

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Time for Recall and Replace yet?

I like that slogan and want to make a bumper sticker like right now. and make no mistake it should be on BOTH sides. We need term limits and a low threshold to get rid of them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join