It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exceptional Bass. Exceptional Horns.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
While I could see an orchestral version of this being absolutely stunning, this is a more "dubby" version.

Enjoy. Oh, and make sure to crank it to 11.

edit on 24-9-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

Sentences are not threads here my friend! Um...what, why etc.?????

www.abovetopsecret.com...

*"IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For ...

Opening posts that contain minimal content, links with little or no explanation, YouTube videos with no commentary, images with little or no ..."

Going forward? Just explain ...and why anyone should...go forward....Thanks!

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Those aren't horns, they are synthesized (as was the whole piece except for the vocal loops).

The synthesis itself was not particularly 'full' or textured. For a computer generated piece, its instrumentation was very lacklustre (come on, it's the 21st century).

The bass line was mixed back and largely was the repetition of a single note behind the kick (bass) drum beat and I suspect was triggered from the same 'note on' event.

The kick drumbeat (being so loud) was poorly recorded and showed significant digital clipping, but perhaps that was intentional to stand in for the absence of dynamics. Similarly, the whole piece was either overcompressed or actually had no real dynamics (I would posit that it was overcompression from the 'breathing' effect after the beat).

Lyrically, it was crap. Good lyrics can stand on their own and can carry subtlety of emotion. A loop of "Pay for what", repeated far too frequently, was empty.

I liked the syncopation but you need to watch the quantization of the other instruments which disconnected from the syncopated beat several times, when they could have really carried it strongly. Instead it sounded fumbled.

Also, repetition of the same phrase with different mixes of instruments detracts from the piece (a standard of dubstep). What it really needs is to establish a hook, go somewhere, musically, and then return to the hook.

The musical structure should have some real change, like different verse, chorus and bridge sections, or use a Jazz A-A-B-A form if you want to keep it very simple, even some melodic counterpoint or transposition would work. As it was it was very 'samey'.

I had higher hopes from the title. I was hoping to hear some really tight horns and cleverly figured bass.

edit on 24/9/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Yeh, not the best trap song

edit on 24-9-2017 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

This one is one of may favs at the moment, keen for your opinion, how ever brutal it may be.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Just read your reply and laughed my arse off through every single line! You were so spot-on about every single point mentioned! Ive spent a large part of my life in and out of studios.

Great, perfect and factually analytical opinion you made there! Awesomely...but factually based...mild sarcasm at its best...Because you were right!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Lol.

Have a good week fellas.

edit on 24-9-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 04:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Just read your reply and laughed my arse off through every single line! You were so spot-on about every single point mentioned! Ive spent a large part of my life in and out of studios.

Great, perfect and factually analytical opinion you made there! Awesomely...but factually based...mild sarcasm at its best...Because you were right!!!

I know, I've also done a fair bit time in studio.

... and I'm an old timer musical curmudgeon in a world with all these totally brilliant kids.

Almost makes me feel that I was wasting my life to see the talent around today.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightAssassin

This one is one of may favs at the moment, keen for your opinion, how ever brutal it may be.

Yes I like this. The YouTube version has its usual nasty compression but the SoundCloud version was far nicer.

soundcloud.com...

The piece had a sense of 'air' in places due to the good choice of reverb/s and mix. The levels were good, not much clipping that I could hear. It could, perhaps, have been even sparser but that is where it comes down to personal preference as a recording engineer/producer rather than a criticism.

I really like the modal nature of the melodies. Something that you don't always see in modern music. It gave an ambience of sadness and resignation without simply being in a minor key. It also tied together the different parts by giving a common feel.

If anything, the structure of this piece is nicely complex and also has a 'shape', rising to a crescendo just before resolving and then returning to the hook.

I also liked the synthesized 'chiff' sounds (for want of a better description) rather than traditional hi-hats as they are more in character with the electronic nature of the piece.

edit on 26/9/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

join