It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take University's ‘white privilege’ quiz- Students Will Get Extra Credit

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

So does this privilege apply to all white people universally?

If yes what exactly is the privilege and what is it worth?

Of no then what excludes a white person from the privilege?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Some kinds of privilege could apply to virtually all white Americans (like the assumptions, etc). This does not make a person racist nor is it an accusation of racism... that's where so many of you here are confused.

If you read the list and can mark "no" on all of those, then I suppose you don't have that privilege. But I don't see how that would be possible for a white person to do (I could honestly only mark "no" on one of those and it was more like a "maybe").

As for what is privilege worth? Nothing if you refuse to even see it. It's easier to just let that "flesh"-colored band-aid cover it up instead of ripping it off and seeing that the wound you've been using as a false-equivalence isn't even real.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Looks like a survey which are quite common around university campuses, and since it involves a social issue, of course it is in a sociology class. Graduate students do them all the time; they have to to gather information for research papers.

Doesn't say what the 'extra credit" is, but this is also not uncommon. Nobody wants to take the time to do a survey, so they will add a point or two to your final totals for your grades. This is no big deal.

Otherwise, it's simply trying to get students to "think". Not a thing in the world wrong with this. Nada.

So your premise is that someone's race is a social issue?

Isn't that a wee bit racist?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Find music of my race represented? Not sure what that even means..

edit on 19-9-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

As for what is privilege worth? Nothing if you refuse to even see it.

That statement implies the so-called privilege is only good if someone trades on it.

If that's the case, then does it really exist at all outside of the minds of those who attempt to project it on to others?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
God, what a crock of ....

Must be hell to have to go to college as a white kid and know that every action, every damn word yiu say, everything you wear will be scrutinised to the nth degree to see if someone can find something offensive in it.

I'd seriously be thinking of a white only college just so I wouldn't get accused of cultural appropriation for eating a vindaloo, wearing pyjamas or some such or being a racist for telling someone bugging me about it to go and do one.

All this talk of micro aggression that goes on as well, how bloody aggressive is it to create an environment in which one group is constantly picked on for bloody existing?
edit on 19pTue, 19 Sep 2017 13:29:19 -050020172017-09-19T13:29:19-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

It's not about creating an environment that's less racist, it's about getting revenge.

This is what they perceive has been done to them, so they're now creating conditions where they can get their perceived own back.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Find music of my race represented? Not sure what that even means..

Even got a Canadian group.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

As for what is privilege worth? Nothing if you refuse to even see it.

That statement implies the so-called privilege is only good if someone trades on it.

If that's the case, then does it really exist at all outside of the minds of those who attempt to project it on to others?

No, it implies that, if it is ignored or not seen, it does no good and only perpetuates the harm it causes.

In other words, I was answering what "good" is it, not whether or not it has an effect. It has an effect, either way but the only "good" it can do is by being an object of study and discussion.
edit on 19-9-2017 by Abysha because: clarificationalizinalization

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

This is the only Canadian band..

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Some kinds of privilege could apply to virtually all white Americans (like the assumptions, etc). This does not make a person racist nor is it an accusation of racism... that's where so many of you here are confused.

If you read the list and can mark "no" on all of those, then I suppose you don't have that privilege. But I don't see how that would be possible for a white person to do (I could honestly only mark "no" on one of those and it was more like a "maybe").

As for what is privilege worth? Nothing if you refuse to even see it. It's easier to just let that "flesh"-colored band-aid cover it up instead of ripping it off and seeing that the wound you've been using as a false-equivalence isn't even real.

So if a white person and a black person who come from the same socioeconomic place, and many many people do come from the same place in life, why is the privilege described as white? Or is this your idea of privilege?

I would invite you to any large corporation and see the faces of many colors as it should be. It is not 1960, and perpetuating this is silly and vengeful.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Here's a list of free things I've gotten for being born a whitey:

The End.

You forgot

1. Being called racist.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Seems like some professors in colleges are instituting the grass is greener on the other side to these teens and young adults. Just the fact that these kids are in college means they are already privileged.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

So if a white person and a black person who come from the same socioeconomic place, and many many people do come from the same place in life, why is the privilege described as white? Or is this your idea of privilege?

How much of that quiz is related to socio-economics?

Black = childhood poverty is a statistical correlation, not a fiat on a person's destiny.

But this quiz (and much of discussion surrounding privilege) is not entirely about that. It's about seeing it and then extrapolating cause-and-effect, if that's even where the discussion leads (which isn't always the purpose).

Some black children are raised in obscene wealth and some white people are raised on the streets. That doesn't mean the rich black kid sees more representation nor is treated better by strangers. The poor white kid will still see history books filled with white people.

What you just said could be another thread but what you posted in the OP is not about that.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: SprocketUK

It's not about creating an environment that's less racist, it's about getting revenge.

This is what they perceive has been done to them, so they're now creating conditions where they can get their perceived own back.

I can't believe they don't see this creating a situation where they are shunned and excluded.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

My Iron Man band-aids are sexist I guess.
Or unfair to DC Comics or something.

The thing is, reverse racism is still racism. Positive stereotyping is still racism.

It's ironic..In trying to combat racism, all they're doing is ensuring that racism doesn't die out.

Seasonal, remember the thread you posted the other day about decorating with cotton stalks?

It doesn't matter what that person had in their house. Cotton stalks, Wonder Bread, Spike Lee's Do The Right Thing on Blu-ray, Bob Marley poster etc. whatever

Hell, I have the complete collection of Roots Original and New Generation. I also collect African drums and percussion instruments. I'm seen as white but have a Hispanic heritage.

It depends on how anyone wants to interpret all these objects, images, signals etc.

Anything can be given a racist spin if you want to spin hard enough.

The people trying to find racism are the ones fueling the fire.

Let it die out, let it die out. It will if you let it!

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Now... I like some BNL but...

How dare you forget RUSH!!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

What would you suggest we fill (I presume) US history books with? In High school history I recall had Clarence Thomas, MLK, Mandela (not effect) and Ghandi.
The US was founded by white people, it would stand to reason that US history would be filled with white mostly men til the mid 20th century with all the for real racism that was in place. Just as I would imagine Chinese history classes are filled with Chinese people, mostly men.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

a reply to: StallionDuck

Seems like some professors in colleges are instituting the grass is greener on the other side to these teens and young adults. Just the fact that these kids are in college means they are already privileged.

I can attest to that. When I went to college, white privilege meant that I had to pay full tuition while others we simply handed free admission because they were deemed minority. Guess that would be a different color privilege?

What about people with tattoos. Once upon a time they were looked down on and thought instant criminals. Now says it's almost criminal to NOT have a tattoo. Piercings have been the same. Didn't matter if you were white. Guess they get white privilege taken away once you put a ring in your nose or wear certain kinds of clothing.

People are just.... Too many adjectives come to mind....

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Now... I like some BNL but...

How dare you forget RUSH!!!!

I was thinking the same thing:

Oh, and screw Nickleback.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join