It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis and the islands of Azores

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
www.ocean.cf.ac.uk...

Check out this pic it shows the outline of a bigger island could it be atlantis.
you can see in grey the islands in modern times but the islands are the perfect place for atlantis. in between the med and america, with a island here you can easily trade. also look carfully in the bottom right you can see a rounded area of land like atlantis. tell me what you think.
[edit on 10-2-2005 by sonicX007]

[edit on 10-2-2005 by sonicX007]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Here is a site that is interesting for Atlantis locations, including the Azores.

www.mysteriousworld.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   
thx dude, cool site you sent me i see what i can find

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
One of the ten sons of Poseidon was named Azaes. Could the region of the Azores have been Azaes' dominion? The possible reason why everyone is concluding they found the sunken atlantis is because ten different areas around the world sank.

www.sacred.texts.com...

See The Phoenician connection to Atlantis.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
within the next 2 years i will be involved with exploring the coast lines and waters of the Azores.....if you can wait a bit (lol) are findings will be made availble.....should show up some intresting finds....perhaps not a lost city and kingdom....but....hey.....who knows?

Regards!

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Altiplano, Bolivia...check it out...
www.geocities.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Azores is incredible. I had no idea it existed until my Portugese flatmate showed me picture of it.

But there is still one question that I have connecting Azores to Atlantis. If these were the islands of Atlantis, then where did the civilization go? West to the 'New World' (Americas) or East to Europe?

[edit on 2/12/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Key-rect.

Fits not only Plato's descritpion, also fits in with what is known about the Basques, the pre-Columbus voyages to the 'new world', the underground structures found at Bimini, the magnetic field disturbances in the Bermuda Triangle area, and the Mayan book, named the Dresden Codex, that tells of the escape from the sinking land of Tollan.

english came from nowhere.........english came from nowhere......see Marlowe and Shakespeare ( or Bacon, whatever grinds your beans )

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace
One of the ten sons of Poseidon was named Azaes. Could the region of the Azores have been Azaes' dominion?

I dont think theres a name connection in there, Azores comes from the name of a bird found on the islands: Açores.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
Azores is incredible. I had no idea it existed until my Portugese flatmate showed me picture of it.

And its a lovely place to visit! The islands are volcanic...the beaches have black sand. I've been to the island of St. Michael (Sao Miguel)...Ponta Delgada a great place to party.

There's a place called Furnas...where you can have the equivalent of New England boiled dinner...cooked in the ground. The dig a big hole and bury a pot of cabbage, meat, sausage and potatoes. Six hours later and voila...lunch is served.

Amazing blue-green lakes too...the sulphur in the water makes the water these amazing colours.

Had some of the best pineapple I've ever eaten in my life there.

From what I understand the people of the Algarve in the south of Portugal were the first to go live there.

Travelling is grand, isn't it?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I always had a feeling that Atlantis may have been on the mid-Atlantic ridge. Kind of disappointing to have only found out about them until now. Recently I have believed that Atlantis was build on shores that were above water during the ice age but have since sunken. But I’ve never been able to determine whether it could work since none of the ice age maps show anywhere near the Caribbean and the Atlantic ridge, there all just on the land bridges near Alaska and such.

But there is still one question that I have connecting Azores to Atlantis. If these were the islands of Atlantis, then where did the civilization go? West to the 'New World' (Americas) or East to Europe?

In my mind they went both ways.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   
ATLANTIS is the key to our species, of who we are. It is located in the Indies.
This website will explain all, and will change the way you look at who we are as a people!

www.atlan.org...

[edit on 17-2-2005 by pantha]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   

[edit on 2/12/2005 by Simulacra]

I believe that the survivors went several ways, ending up in South America, Europe, Egypt, Western Africa, Far East, etc
There is so much in common between these various regions like the pyramidal structures, the incredible engineering accuracy, alignment of structures to star constellations. These various regions also have similar myths and legends about visitors from a distant land sent to pass on their knowledge.
In my mind, all these similarities point to a group of people from a central point dispersing throughout the world, spreading their ideas, culture, knowledge, an I believe that this central point was "Atlantis".

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
[edit on 17-2-2005 by pantha]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
check out this pic it supports my theroy for islands of azores

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I fail to see how that continent is as large as Plato states, or how the capital could be midway along the contintent's longest side, as stated by Plato. Check my link above....if you disagree after that...well, to each his own...

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   

where did the civilization go? West to the 'New World' (Americas) or East to Europe?

The Azores are implicated in possible future megatsunami scenarios. Islands like this can undergo 'subsidence', in which a substantial portion of an island collapses into the sea, suddenly. A large alluvial plain could have fallen into the sea, 'sinking' both the portion of the Azores that fell into the sea, and huge areas of the Americas.

Nearby are Madeira and the Canary Islands.

According to Plato, the civilization existed both in an 'island' and the 'island as large as a continent' to its West. That would be the Americas. Also according to the Timaeus, they had already conquered Egypt 12,000 years ago.

But a megatsunami can ruin your whole Empire in a day.

Just found a wacky wiki on this in regards to terrorists: Talk:Megatsunami.

I think the Americas we know are the survivors of this disaster. And I think a lot of the early Mediterranean peoples, maybe the early Irish, Scots and English too, are mixed up with these seafaring Turkic people.

[edit on 24-2-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
According to Plato[/url], the civilization existed both in an 'island' and the 'island as large as a continent' to its West. That would be the Americas.

I think this is a wrong conclusion that I saw already in other posts here.
The "island as large as a continent" is often automatically thought to be the Americas. I think it would have been something between Europe and America and then it sank.

The Azores could be a part or remains of the ancient Atlantis; I don't believe they ARE Atlantis though. So to the guy who asked "where did the civilization go? East to Europe or West to America?" I would answer "none of the above". They did not go anywhere; they went down together with Atlantis self.

top topics

join