It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida sheriff "if you have an outstanding warrant and show up at a Hurricane Irma shelter"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

In this case there may well be no correct answer. I know I'd not want to be the one deciding.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I think I remember reading the number one hurricane survival tip was to be confined in a locked room.

Such a good man to provide this space for people, in no way will they be in incredible danger once the city is in ruin and looters are running free.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Yep, turn yourself in where you belong, and stop taking rescue resources away from people who are innocent and slammed with tragedy.

Tough world, tough love

I thought the system down there was based on innocent until proven guilty. A warrant doesn't make one a felon. They have as much right to shelter as anyone else.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I think the local constable should be more concerened with protecting Floridians and their property from the National Guard.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Seems pretty messed up. Intimidating people into risking their lives to avoid arrest. Everyone deserves due process.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Lazy cops.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
I think announcing it is stupid, but actually arresting people with warrants is their job and what they should do.

The Sheriff actually did those with warrants a favor and helped them not get caught.

He probably sees it as a win win, they show up they go to jail, they don't show up then chances are they die and his job is easier.

Florida is one place I would never live.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

a reply to: Justso

As Shamrock6 pointed out, there are good reasons for not wanting dangerous people in shelters.

I'm fine with them checking ID's to protect the others and arresting those who should be arrested.

The reason they are put in jail is to protect the public, which is law enforcement's job. That has nothing to do with me saying announcing it was wrong. I hope your not misreading what I posted? This Sheriff may well be very good at his job, but just made a wrong decision during a time of stress.

I'd rather a predator stand right in front of a pile of debris as the eye wall hits it, than be in a shelter unrecognized to take advantage of the situation.

A warrant doesnt mean the person is dangerous. It could be warrants for tax issues, traffic tickets, failure to appear for some minor thing AS WELL as violent things.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
If you arrested all the criminals in Fl you would have 10 cops bad idea .
Every ones talking about parking tickets lol such a criminal omg lock them up torture them .
This is Florida the second most corrupt state in The US . So corrupt the FBI puta fulol front page add in the main news paper in Tallahassee .
Jailing for funding is most county's mottos .
The county I live in jails over 16 k people a year out of 175 k in it .
That my friends is a HIGHER rate then even Sin city Las Vagus has .
This town just built a new 4 million dollar police station and B raged how they did not need a lone .
Ok people just were do you think they got that 14 million dollars
This county has 250 people a day in front of a judge ( pay use THIS or go to jail )
220 $ a day per person in jail A win 5000 $ fine they win over teh most petty stuff imaginable .

One women mentally ill only charge resisting arrest 1500 fine ( that women did not even know she was in court .
so another one in jail for 3 months .

Here you call 911 say man i am thinking off killing my self and need help it gets sent with flashing lights and you are JAILED .

Prison state and you cheer .

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

While I think this person made a bad call, it says not a thing about the people in law enforcement in general.

I agree, it was a buck stupid call, the twat should have just kept his gub shut...then he could do what he has to do.
We'll probably never know if someone turns up dead because they were afraid to go into a shelter, by having an arrest warrant against them for whatever reason many and varied.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

One would think a shelter has better things to do. I do agree if it is for murder or they are on the most wanted list, they should be taken away. But some will have missed appearances for traffic tickets and have a bench warrant.

I would hope there would be a balance as to whom is arrested upon seeking shelter.

I would think that those with a warrant for lesser crimes should be given a ticket stating they must contact the court and appear within 60 days.
edit on 7-9-2017 by Kaileena because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
They should go to jail if caught. I have never heard of a natural disaster suspending warrants.

This might be a better round up tool then the old... "You have won 2 tickets to the Superbowl. Come to this address and get them" ...

I agree, jail is rather safe from the storm too.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar

The county I live in jails over 16 k people a year out of 175 k in it .

Are the cops #ty, or the people #ty, or both.... I feel cops mirror the population they work in...

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

As a regular citizen there, I would feel a great deal of relief. Knowing that something has been done to deter criminals from going to a cramped place, in a time of high stress and tension, and emotions are running wild. Knowing that gang members, drug dealers, drug addicts, rapists, murderers, thieves, and other violent criminals have a reason to not go places packed with scared, probably exploitable people would give me piece of mind, and make me feel safer. At the same time, I feel bad for the guy that missed his court date over some BS traffic infraction and has a bench warrant because he forgot about a stop sign ticket.
Ideally, it would have gone more like, "If you have a warrant for a violent crime, theft, or a felony, you'll be brought to jail"

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Yep, turn yourself in where you belong, and stop taking rescue resources away from people who are innocent and slammed with tragedy.

Tough world, tough love

I thought the system down there was based on innocent until proven guilty. A warrant doesn't make one a felon. They have as much right to shelter as anyone else.

That is mostly true. But the warrant has given the police the right to arrest. I would hope the police use common sense (I have high hopes, lol) and only arrest the most dangerous seeking shelter. Those with felony priors, those being sought for very serious crimes, etc.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: MDpvc

Drug addicts? It's Florida....you gotta be kidding. Almost no one would get in.

Thieves...does that include those wanted for petty shoplifting?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
WOW ..anther BITCH down when actual LAWS on the books are used.
SCREW violent criminals.
They can die and ROT as penance,we'll pick up the trash later.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

The man will have blood on his hands and will probably glorify in it, until he meets his maker.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
SOLUTION: Stop breaking the law and receiving outstanding warrants.

Tah-duh.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join