It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida sheriff "if you have an outstanding warrant and show up at a Hurricane Irma shelter"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Thoughts?
I think the bad guys will show up with no ID, give an alias for their name and stay there with no repercussions.
What would they do? Turn them away?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Kaileena

If you're willing to steal something small enough for it to be "petty shoplifting" as you say, I see no reason they would against stealing things more valuable. If they're so desperate they have to steal, say shampoo, whats to stop them from stealing old Ms. Robinsons necklace when she takes it off for bed?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Desperate people made even more desperate knowing they have a warrant and how many are armed?....what could possibly go wrong?

www.rawstory.com...
edit on 7-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Desperate people made even more desperate knowing they have a warrant and how many are armed?....what could possibly go wrong?

www.rawstory.com...

I'm sure in their desperation they will sit around singing and holding hands and waiting for god to save them.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Not super smart to announce your strategy, also you would think during a hurricane there might be more important things to do?
Are they demanding ID when people arrive for shelter?

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Outstanding warrant could be a guy with two tickets.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

So you would be okay with people charged with any number of crimes were there sheltering with your friends and relatives?

I see the Sheriff's point. He's trying to keep the bad guys out of the shelters to protect the people who aren't crosswise of the law. If they keep the known bad guys out of the shelters the chances are better that order will be maintained at the shelters. Any small edge in this situation is a good thing.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Outstanding warrant could be a guy with two tickets.

Could be much worst, but lets say two tickets. Why would the outcome of that person going to jail for a day bother you if that was what would have happen if he got caught any other time? My advice is not to run around with outstanding warrants...lol

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Last thing I want in the cot next to my daughters at a shelter is a criminal; so if this keeps the shelters even a little bit safer because some might be to scared to go there than I'm ok with his statement.

I guess that sucks for the guy who didn't pay his parking tickets ... sorry.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

It doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Just making the point that some people with warrants are not all super criminals.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Why announce this?

Now people with warrants will avoid shelters, making it more difficult to persecute them.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Just making the point that some people with warrants are not all super criminals.

Cool understand...I gotten a good number of tickets in my 60 years but never a warrant. I don't think a night in the pokey will hurt them and either way there is some law issues there.

I'm also not a big defender of cops and I have criticized them many time, but there are also people who do not follow the law very well too...

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Cool understand...I gotten a good number of tickets in my 60 years but never a warrant. I don't think a night in the pokey will hurt them and either way there is some law issues there.

I'm also not a big defender of cops and I have criticized them many time, but there are also people who do not follow the law very well too...

Are you saying you never didn't pay a ticket.

Cause where I come from any unpaid ticket you get a warrant on you

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Cause where I come from any unpaid ticket you get a warrant on you

I never didn't pay for a ticket because the repercussions was not something I wanted. One thing that I do not like about our legal system is that it will up the anti anytime you get into it and do not take measures to get out. As I said this is not something I totally agree with since you can reach a point it takes great effort and extreme challenges to over come, but it is what it is...

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Yep, turn yourself in where you belong, and stop taking rescue resources away from people who are innocent and slammed with tragedy.

Tough world, tough love

I thought the system down there was based on innocent until proven guilty. A warrant doesn't make one a felon. They have as much right to shelter as anyone else.

They do, but they will be processed in due time.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
So they're going to scare people away from seeking shelter from a deadly storm. Then if these people do show up this sheriff is going to send his deputies out in to a deadly storm to bring them to jail. Then, as we learned from Katrina, these people will be left to drown in their cells when the waters rise.

What a great display of humanitarianism.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

I agree, often it has nothing whatsoever to do with safety, more about generating revenue..the sheriff is a dolt.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Perhaps they should Evacuate the jails. I bet A lot of prisoners got trapped and died in the Islands.

Actually the Citrus County jail gets to house, feed these prisoners. Me, being a resident of the County, gets to pay for it..

Interesting note: When I moved here 13 years ago, the County Jail was run by the Sheriff and most of the folks were released on a citation (Promise To Appear) now that it is a 'private jail' run by what once was CorrectionCorpofAmerica™, ALL those folks now get "booked" which includes a 'Booking Fee' paid by the citizens of the County..

Now what makes Me look like a BIGGER IDIOT? That I get dinged for some turd that 'could' be released on a Citation or that I'm currently paying for a Nuclear Power Plant that 'may' be built in North Carolina in the year 2064 when I'll be 101 years old?

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I'd support some type of legal action against this. This is wrong!

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
I'd support some type of legal action against this. This is wrong!

SUIT FILED TODAY...

A man who claims he was denied entry to a shelter unless he underwent a background check is suing Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd, who got national attention after saying on Twitter he would jail anyone with an outstanding warrant who tried to seek shelter from Hurricane Irma.

Judd called the lawsuit “frivolous” and said he would not change his policy.

The sheriff said his stance was to prevent registered sex offenders from entering shelters. But the suit filed by immigrant rights group Nexus Services states Florida driver’s licenses already clearly mark someone as a sex offender. They claim the policy was discriminatory and violates Fourth Amendment rights against unlawful search and seizure.

Full Article here: www.msn.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join