It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida sheriff "if you have an outstanding warrant and show up at a Hurricane Irma shelter"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Don't think it really counts as a "trap" if he point blank says "come see us and we'll put you in jail."

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
great way to make sure people are in more danger... but i'm sure it'll find fans among those do-or-die, it's the letter of the law and not the spirit-types. way to go, sheriff... you really protected the people, didn't you.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Unfortunately, its an example of of the leos where I live-in Georgia and I say this with a number of my relatives as deputy sheriffs, state troopers and even in the FBI.

They are purely embarrassing here-one chief even shot his wife in bed while she slept and blamed it on medication. They'd just hired him from Floriduh.

And, no, I don't even have a traffic ticket to my name-no jailbirds in my family. Know too many of these leos personally though.

Too many examples-take offense if you will. Everyone's got an opinion just like everyone's got----other things.

This was a dumb announcement by this Florida sheriff and shelters-agree or not.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Was it a wise move though? Opens him up for criticism needlessly and alerts people to stay away, when without the announcement they may have been caught.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Sounds like a local problem, not a national one. I'd not compare elected officials to the in the trenches officers either.

In this case it's an elected official.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Don't think it really counts as a "trap" if he point blank says "come see us and we'll put you in jail."

The announcement is pretty new, So i'm sure there's plenty of people who aren't aware of this.

So to them, it could very well seem like a trap.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
Tough call. Clearly these people are criminals and they've been trying to hide that fact.. but you also add the fact that with people knowing this, they may ride out the storm in a bad location and die.

I guess if its petty drug charges, then it's kind of messed up... but on the other hand, if its some really deplorable people, then its a good idea.

Most warrants are for unpaid traffic tickets.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

One of the other tweets from the SO state that they're not going to have sex offenders and predators hunkered down in shelters with women and children. I think, in his opinion anyway, that if it keeps a chomo out of a shelter, he's going to call it a win.

I'd be pretty surprised if they actually went to the lengths of trying to transport people during the storm. They'd probably detain them and keep them separate, but I don't see them trying to brave 150 mph winds to drive somebody to the jail.

For my part, I think it was a pretty dumb thing to announce.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

This will get innocent people killed.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Then, that says even more about the voting public, doesn't it?

This guy would rather people with warrants take a chance on dying than living to face a day in court.

Unfortunately, these power hungry types have a black/white mentality which often causes serious pain and suffering when not necessary.
edit on 7-9-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Yep, turn yourself in where you belong, and stop taking rescue resources away from people who are innocent and slammed with tragedy.

Tough world, tough love

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I'm in agreement with you here. Never play your hand until you have to. I certainly don't see any issues with arresting people with warrants, regardless of the underlying circumstances, at least within reason.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Its about saving lives right now...I feel he is being out of line. I mean folks can have a warrent for unpaid parking tickets, now he has made them afraid to seek shelter? all warrants arent for dangerous criminals, his saying this could create a life or death circumstance for not just the individual but any family attached to them...I think it was ridiculous and bravado for no good reason and I usually support quite harsh responses to criminals.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Heres what most would/should/could do straight from the Criminal playbook:

Give a fake name, you lost all IDs in the flood and you dont know your SS#.

I dont feel too sorry for them. The Sheriff is a tool for announcing it, and I think its a bad idea to follow through lock up for every offense.

Hopefully hes bluffing or intends to parse through charges on the warrants and weed out the violent offenders

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I'm good with the reasons for it.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yeah, if there is any logic to announcing it I can't see it.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Yea. This is one of those times I see both sides. This could keep that family of five out of a shelter because dad has unpaid speeding tickets. It could also keep the guy who's got a warrant for diddling his 8 year old neighbor from trying to get into a shelter.

But there's other ways to handle it without putting up a sign about it. That's just pure showboating.
edit on 7-9-2017 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I get why people agree, I just disagree.

This just encourages the mindset of "Find forgiveness in the lord, you shall find none here".

I get that criminals are criminals though. Still, seems quite inhuman.

Edit: It seems so incredibly petty.

edit on 7-9-2017 by Jonjonj because: addition

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

This is exactly my point, guy was being a blowhard imo at entirely the wrong time.

posted on Sep, 7 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

As Shamrock6 pointed out, there are good reasons for not wanting dangerous people in shelters.

I'm fine with them checking ID's to protect the others and arresting those who should be arrested.

The reason they are put in jail is to protect the public, which is law enforcement's job. That has nothing to do with me saying announcing it was wrong. I hope your not misreading what I posted? This Sheriff may well be very good at his job, but just made a wrong decision during a time of stress.

I'd rather a predator stand right in front of a pile of debris as the eye wall hits it, than be in a shelter unrecognized to take advantage of the situation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join