It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House has paperwork ready for Joe Arpaio pardon

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Looks like it's going to happen. Trump is going to pardon someone for ignoring the federal court system. Arpaio is guilty of contempt of court for running an illegal program, and continuing to run it after the courts stopped it. This is unique among pardons because it's not a pardon for committing a crime. It's a pardon for ignoring the authority of both federal and state governments.

I was hoping he wouldn't do this. In my mind, authority figures deserve even more scrutiny than anyone else, and I have zero tolerance for mistakes from people in authority (the ability to not screw up, is presumably why they're in charge afterall).

Instead, with this Trump is saying do as I do, not as I say. It totally undermines the court system.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Sweet!

Free Sheriff Joe.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Might as well release Sheriff Joe early. O.J. Simpson committed far worse crimes, and he was released early.

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Trump: The Law & Order President (unless a friend breaks the law)

GOP: The Party of Personal Responsibility (but not actually)

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Trump has been undermining the court system since he was a candidate. He clearly has no respect for it. Plus he is most likely doing this to strike back at all the criticism for his words on Charlottesville. Though this is just going to make more people hate him, or hate him even more. Watch, when he signs this, it'll blow up in his face and he'll be battling yet another controversy he created because he doesn't think things through.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Do I smell a birther reunion tour coming??

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Might as well release Sheriff Joe early. O.J. Simpson committed far worse crimes, and he was released early.

While OJ Simpson killing 2 people is pretty heinous, Sheriff Joe tortured people and detained them unconstitutionally. Then he ignored federal orders to stop. His crimes are borderline traitorous. The fact that Trump is entertaining pardoning him at all is a slap in the face of any ideas he is trying to foster to heal the divides in this country.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I disagree. OJ likely killed two people. He stood trial for that. Later he committed a robbery and served time. The courts in that case sentenced him and gave him early parole.

Serious crimes, even murder, pale in comparison to the seriousness of being a crooked law enforcement official. Arpaio executed the law in a racist and partisan manner in order to protect the groups he likes and affect the people he dislikes. His enforcement of the law was struck down by the courts as being unconstitutional.

Pardoning Arpaio is in essence saying that the Constitution takes a back seat to sheriffs own biases, and supporting the executive branch.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Yep. The clearest case of malicious prosecution in a long while. Based on the Left arguments, Lynch/Comey/Clinton are guilty of much worse.

While I belive prisoners should be treated humanely, I am quite comfortable with prisoners NOT being given benefits I don’t even have while working 50-60 hours a week.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Trump has been undermining the court system since he was a candidate. He clearly has no respect for it. Plus he is most likely doing this to strike back at all the criticism for his words on Charlottesville. Though this is just going to make more people hate him, or hate him even more. Watch, when he signs this, it'll blow up in his face and he'll be battling yet another controversy he created because he doesn't think things through.

One has to wonder. Is Trump doing this only because Arpaio was a powerful white guy who liked to target minorities? I never believed Trump was a racist but after Charlottesville and now this pardon I'm starting to wonder. Would Trump be offering a pardon if this were a mexican woman using the IRS to target Republicans after the courts told them to stop doing that.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

"White House has paperwork ready for Joe Arpaio pardon..."

I wouldn't be surprised if Obama had the paperwork ready to go before he left office.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

I wouldn't be surprised if Obama had the paperwork ready to go before he left office.

Why?

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Trump is clearly desperate for a "win". Anything to take the microscope off his back or at least something to redeem himself in the eyes of his base. Arpaio is an Alt-Right/Trump supporter hero. So he sees this as an easy win to regaining some of his lost credibility. I doubt it has anything to do with racism (or at least mostly). He just wants to do something to make the left mad and his supporters happy. Like the good ole days of the election. Too bad, when you do things like that as President you only foster division and just make the overall sentiment in the country worse. Trump has yet to learn that yet (if he ever will) and is why the 25th Amendment needs to be triggered asap.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Why?

Because Arpaio, Trump, and Neil Abercrombie all ran interference for Obama, in late 2010 & early 2011, and buried the truth about his fraudulent short form birth certificate.

I watched them do it.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm waiting for one of Trumps supporters to actually speak out against this. Arpaio is guilty of breaking the constitution, and he was given a pass on that. He was told to knock it off though. Instead, he got emboldened by that, continued, and even ratcheted it up. For that, we have a sheriff who said the constitution doesn't matter, and he rightfully went to jail for it.

I'm amazed we have a President pardoning that. It's essentially saying that the Constitution has no legal basis to exist. If one can ignore the will of the courts, then does that mean we can all ignore the will of the courts, or is it ok only when you're a high profile Trump supporter?

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Wait are you suggesting that some of the biggest pushers of the racist Obama birther conspiracy actually helped cover it up? Lol. I thought your continued belief in that load of horse# was outstanding but this took the taco.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Giving a pardon to Sheriff Joe is a bad idea....

The good Sheriff was adamant about if you do the crime you do the time.....I agree Sheriff Joe, so do your time!!

Besides we all know the Sheriff will have a very easy time in jail. Because of his notoriety and being ex LE he would never be in general population to begin with.

link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Yep. That's exactly what I am suggesting.

I don't care what you think. You fell for their tricks.

+7 more 
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Arpaio didn't break the law, he only failed to kneel and kiss the ring of a bigot in federal judges robes. He's an admirable man, not a criminal.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Huh? Why? Sycophants don't base their logic in reality. Only in their cult of personality.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join