It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London underground tube staff aren't allowed to say 'Ladies and Gentleman' anymore

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha
a reply to: growler

originally posted by: 0racle
Ah, who cares... maybe they're right... ladies and gentlemen is a bit old fashioned...

I agree. Ladies and gentlemen are Victorian terms used to distinguish the 'important' people from those that were not considered ladies and gentlemen.

I think using 'everyone' is more friendly, and it will also include my dog who always feels left out by the announcements.

Ugly women will take offense to "Ladies, gentlement and dogs."

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

No. The Indie is a very left leaning newspaper in the UK and this news has been on the TV today.

Strictly speaking a Lady or Gentleman had a clear definition and is used in general terms to elevate the description of a mob of people too large to address individually.

It is actually complimentary....or was.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

I guess "everyone" does seem more friendly. I don't care if they use one or the other. I like "ladies and gentlement". It makes us feel proper and welcome. But that's just me. I am pretty sure that most people in the LGBT community don't care either or find this stupid. It's not really nice to paint the entire LGBT community in a negative light like the OP did.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

non-threatening.

Calling you a lady or gentleman is now a threat? Good lord, how much of a pansie do you have to be for that to be threatening?

I edited to rephrase my comment, lest it be taken wrong.
edit on 16-7-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Not I. They.

See post above.

Lost my Wi-Fi for a minute there but was trying to add that its probably preferable than shouting "Oi! You 'horrible little lot, yer bladdy trains late!"
edit on 16-7-2017 by Tulpa because: Add

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I'm going to sue.

I self-identify as a gentleman.

Excellent point. Why can't I demand to be called a gentlemen under this stupid pretense?

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I still dont understand why they have 'gay pride' festivals.... Its nothing to be proud of!

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
It is many years since I have been In London or on the railways, However

I think it is the PC brigade hyping this up as with everything they do.

If my memory serves me right I seem to remember announcements in the

distant past referring to *passengers* .... that covers everyone!!

and not offensive to anyone surely.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Can't wait for Sol to go supernova.

Clearly it's the only way to end all the bulls#it we have going on in the world today.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

The Indrpendent article says...

"The decision comes after various activists, including LGBT charity Stonewall, campaigned for the change for months, claiming that although "ladies and gentlemen" was "polite", it was "outdated" and "belonged to yesterday"."

The LGBT crew can't wholly claim credit for this sensitive change, much as I suspect they would like to.

More worrying, is the 'campaigners' see "polite" as being "outdated". Really? Lets reflect on where that throw away leads in this context....the Gays are saying its ok not to be polite now.

OK.

LGBT you are outdated, and being part of this just makes you look even more whining and pretentious than you usually are.

Was a time you did useful stuff like helping closet livers see the sun.

Now I think you're biggest struggle is to justify your excessive grant income.

Go away.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Because some people within 0.7% of the population MIGHT take offense to it.

WTF!

If someone is a male and 'wants' to be female then why should they get offended by such a generalization? Hell they get addressed doubly!

edit on 16-7-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Those who cannot control themselves always seem to want control over others.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
It's a shame things like this are changing. Iv worked in the hospitality industry for many years and this used to be the gentile way of addressing a room of people.

A lot of other "old fashioned" things have also gone. Try asking a 20ish year old female if they want a hand moving that heavy box there struggling with. And you'll be greeted by a snarl and accusations of sexism. Or holding a door open and be given a death stare and two fingers. It's made me want to stop bothering about being polite and friendly. As it only seems to make things worse.

Iv found the only way to avoid a court case is to make no mention of age, sex, colour, religion, or there choice in pencil cases. Actually, best not to interact with anyone anymore. We can all live in a little bubble and have everything exactly the way we want it.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Funem
A lot of other "old fashioned" things have also gone.

Like 'good manners'... a please.... a thank you ....and a smile!!

cost nothing, and makes all the difference?

Try asking a 20ish year old female if they want a hand moving that heavy box there struggling with. And you'll be greeted by a snarl and accusations of sexism. Or holding a door open and be given a death stare and two fingers. It's made me want to stop bothering about being polite and friendly. As it only seems to make things worse.

Please dont stop .... there are people who appreciate kindness and old

fashioned 'good manners' as I do, and there is little enough of it around.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Funem

It's pathetic though isn't it???

Next time i go for a beer i'll probably not see a mens room and ladies room, instead i'll have to go to the xxxxxroom and share with these groups of people... very scary indeed.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
It's kinda silly, I'll grant you that, but it's not anything I'm going to get upset about.

There are plenty of other things much more important to get, and to be, upset about. IMHO, of course.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I mean if it was bitches and hoes move to the side I could understand their gripe, but Ladies and gentlemen?
edit on 16-7-2017 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

I tend to find anybody mid thirties and above still do keep decent manners. Anyone less than that and p's and q's go out the window.
Happens a lot in work get a table of youngish people and they rarely acknowledge your there and demand things to be done for them. Get an older group and they ask for things and say please and thank you.
I think at some point in time people have gone from asking for things and turning the other cheek. To demanding everything and anything should be done for them. As well as having a hissy fit other some perceived injustice.
One if the other mangers work wanted me to throw someone out for calling her mate (very common saying round here). She thought he was being far to friendly and wanted him leave as it was upsetting her. Told her to do one.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
I mean if it was bitches and hoes move to the side I could understand their grip, but Ladies and gentlemen?

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Meh. Many trains/operators use the term "passengers" or stuff like "clear the platform" etc in their announcements anyway. It's just clearer, and surely helpful given how many semi independent folk there are with all manner of learning difficulties using public transport etc as well as folk who are what ever it's being called tonight

So how is it anything to get even slightly fussed about? It's just clarity. On rail announcements. Jesus folks.

Above Train Spotting we are not, evidently

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join