It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London underground tube staff aren't allowed to say 'Ladies and Gentleman' anymore

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane
a reply to: elementalgrove

That's what i don't understand either..whether you are gay,lesbian,transgender,transvestite etc one would still identify as either a gentleman or lady or even both if you're a hermaphrodite ffs..i don't see how ladies and gentleman do not fit everyone?

I've been called a lot of things in my life but never a gentleman. On a serious note this is well outdated even in speeches now they avoid ladies and gentleman because mostly it was a class distinction at the time. The word "Gentleman" refers to a man who does not himself have to work for a living. So "ladies and gentlemen" is a way of flattering your audience by implying that they are of a high social class. By the way ladies are Maried to gentleman as they don't work either.

They were never about gender like many here seem to believe.
edit on 7/17/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

I wouldn't say it's outdated...more that its meaning has changed. It's now (at least in my experience) more of a gender + personality based statement.

Hence the mild insults - "Well you're certainly no lady" or "That's not a gentlemanly way to act".

So Ladies & Gentleman nowadays reads more as 'Good, well behaved men and women' possibly not entirely accurate, but polite.

To be on-topic...yes there were obviously people who wanted this change, but I'm sure I could also get a petition going to call everyone attack helicopters (To use the stereotypical 'joke' gender). I'm not sure such minor things, especially when they are polite, need changing. And agree with some other posters sentiment that it's actions like this, that turn people (rightly or wrongly) against minorities such as this.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
It's kinda silly, I'll grant you that, but it's not anything I'm going to get upset about.

There are plenty of other things much more important to get, and to be, upset about. IMHO, of course.

Exactly. So why get upset about train announcements where someone says 'Ladies and Gentlemen'?

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder

but why is it so important to you that it stays the same?

Why should things change?

This community of people are very hypocritical.

Oh... the irony. They can complain but we can't??
edit on CDTMon, 17 Jul 2017 06:47:21 -05000000003106x121x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: _R4t_
a reply to: elementalgrove

Seriously?

I think that's complete none sense...

I know somehow who "identify" as a cat, walks around with a cat tail butt plug and car ears... What am I supposed to do? Feed her delusion and enable her so that she grows more into the "pseudo persona" she's created for herself because she's afraid to be anything else but who she really is because shoving reality down her throat is "the bad thing to do" here?

I think before trying to force other people to accept whatever they believe they are, they should first start to accept themselves the way they are in first place. How can you ever be happy chasing an impossible dream? Regardless of what you do, you will always know, remember whether you were born with the shovel or the hole...

www.youtube.com...

"I don't wanna be an adult right now" just because you don't want to be an adult or you want to be something else doesn't mean you can and are... I'm sad at where this world is going...

Now there's "gender fluid" seriously? One day its a he and the other a she and at other times somewhere a he/she... seriously wtf... Somebody needs to wake them the hell up... you don't get to go left and right on the gender scale or up and down in the age scale at will... Your born the way your are and you age the like anything else whether you like it or not and for as long as
you try to deny that to yourself your never going to be happy...

Well said.

Totally agree.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Its the NWO way.
The divisions will be endless. Then comes the violence. By the time we've realised we've all been used it will be too late.
We are doing their work for them.
All us useless eaters will have to make way.

But I'd have to be a crazy conspiracy theorist to believe we could ever be so predictable.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Is that what you guys call them over there???

Tube staff!!!

Comedy gold!

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Don't forget that London operates on its own, completely independent of the rest of the country it resides in. They don't call em "luvvies" for nothing. It's nice to see that Tfl has decided to be at the forefront of the "gender wars". This whole gender nuetral thing, whilst in essence is fine, needs to be taken down a notch in terms of social integration. It's not taboo, but then neither is getting your clit pierced, but we don't all have conversations about that or put clit piercings on the general agenda for young people. But hey, in London, being completely skew-iff about your gender is not only fine, you should also be making as much noise about it as you can, and making sure the two genders as defined by history and science, are no longer valid. All part and parcel of being a progressive bunch of
...khants?
edit on 17-7-2017 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

why should things change? change is the nature of the universe.
without change, you'd be sitting in a tree flinging excrement
instead of doing it over the internet.

why is it up to you to dictate exactly how much change is acceptable?

i'm not saying you can't complain. clearly you can and do and we're subjected to hundreds of identical absolutely interminable threads on the subject.
what i'm trying to get at is WHY you're complaining.
a small change has been made and now some people feel more accepted in public.
maybe it's a large number of people, maybe small - i find that totally immaterial.
the point is now some people feel more included.
nobody has been alienated, public language has just been expanded slightly to be ever so slightly more considerate.
what's so bad about that?

i get it, change is scary.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane
a reply to: SoEpic

That's true.I am,for instance,very sympathetic to the LGBT community but things like this just causes resentment especially among those who are not sympathetic in the first place.

It is a mistake to attribute this sort of bullpuckey to the LGBT or any community other than the very small minority of screeching, perpetually offended adult-sized children who are incapable of existing with the rest of us in any meaningful way other than to cause trouble. The real issue here is that the authorities are stupid enough to listen to them.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

it's because they dont feel included in that statement !

and people wanted to feel included and want to feel connected.

yet despite their best intentions they are creating further division.

Surely ladies and gentlemen is inclusive of everyone , because are trans people wanting to remain trans forever , as in an intermediate state between sexes or do they actually plan on becoming male or female , I thought they wanted to be either or , not trans forever

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

trans isn't a gender in it's own right, it's just a descriptive.
for example, i'm trans, but i'm definitely a girl and i always have been. 'trans' just gives context and describes my relationship with womanhood a little to make it easier for people to relate to me.

not everyone participates in the gender binary though.
some people identify as neither male nor female, and use gender neutral pronouns.
i can only assume that this change was made to make what is generally a quite bitter life [just look at the things people are saying in this thread!] a tiny bit more comfortable for them.

let me reiterate for the third time in this thread, i don't think it was exactly a pressing or greatly important change to have made, but it's been done.
now some people feel more included.
where is the harm?

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
Is that what you guys call them over there???

Tube staff!!!

Comedy gold!

They have tube riders as well. And somehow a fag is a cigarette. Boy I'm sure that confused a lot of amaricans in the past. And bangers and mash come on that can't be PC. Lol

But have to admit the London underground is a great name for a night club.
edit on 7/17/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   

where is the harm?

The harm is that it is an extremely small minority of people who desire this change and it's not that bitter of an existence, they simply choose to make it that way. Removing terms we are all familiar with and disenfranchising everyone else is not the answer and sooner or later there will be a push back.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

Actually, I feel excluded.😞

No one asked me what I thought, and after all it is the culture and language I grew up with, and live with come to that.

Maybe I'll buy a pair of spike heels to wear at weekends, and then I can have a legitimate say, valid opinion.... and be valued in 'the right places'.😊

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: GusMcDangerthing

what's being removed? who's being disenfranchised?
isn't this whole thing just that drivers are now saying things like
"this is the last stop, will all passengers please disembark"
instead of anything specifically gendered?
how much ado can we make over absolutely nothing?

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

You guessed it... that dumbass community of LGBT people have complained and their complaint has been upheld, now tube drivers can't say ''ladies and gentlemen we have a delay' or 'ladies and gentlemen we are being held here because of an incident up ahead... etc'

This is getting ridiculous if it wasn't already.

Why did these people form this community?

What we are seeing is actually an attack on "science."

Scientists, calling themselves biologists, "claim" to be able to distinguish between male and female.

Archaeologists look at the fossil record, examine some bones of animals and people, from thousands of years ago, and "claim" to be able to tell whether they were masculine or feminine, and hence "deduce" what roles they must have played in the society etc...Anthropologists do the same etc..

The problem is that science is a difficult subject, and most people find it hard to learn the math, physics, chemistry, and logic required to "reason" and "understand" these things.

So, these people, who find science "tough", see the "scientists" as no better than "priests" of a "religion", attempting to "impose" a "bigoted" view on the masses, to control the people.

Notice that it's the very same people who oppose religions, that are now opposing scientists.

They want the Church, to say that homosexuality is not a sin, but rather a blessing that everyone should be proud of. They want the scientists, to deny that there's any objective way to tell the difference between a male and a female.

To the Church, they say the scriptures deceive us. To the Science, they say our "objective observations" are in error.

In other words, nobody has any more right to tell me what is "truth", than I myself, who am the only person that can "define truth."

That is the underlying "doctrine" of these new "modernists."

Do not try to put me into a "pigeonhole", for I am not this and not that, I am unique.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: continuousThunder

This is a term which is familiar to our parents and grandparents, in fact to the grandparents of our grandparents grandparents. It is not good and right to simply change things like this just to satisfy the perpetually outraged, or the whims of the tiniest of tiny minorities.

As for who - everyone else. Surely that isn't difficult to figure out and I don't believe you needed to ask that, really. If there's no ado to be made then why ask for it to be changed in the first place?

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: GusMcDangerthing

where is the harm?

The harm is that it is an extremely small minority of people who desire this change and it's not that bitter of an existence, they simply choose to make it that way. Removing terms we are all familiar with and disenfranchising everyone else is not the answer and sooner or later there will be a push back.

You're not familiar with the term "passengers"? How does using the term "passengers disenfranchise everyone? Isn't everyone a passenger on the underground?

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

a reply to: GusMcDangerthing

what's being removed? who's being disenfranchised?
isn't this whole thing just that drivers are now saying things like
"this is the last stop, will all passengers please disembark"
instead of anything specifically gendered?
how much ado can we make over absolutely nothing?

I understand where you are coming from , in terms of people not wishing to be either male or female

as for the whole much a do about nothing, non trans humans feel exactly that , trans humans are making a fuss over nothing
because it doesnt include them as a minority of humans.

Why does it matter if its gender specific as it is , why does it have to be gender neutral ?

so as far as I understand it , some humans have gender dysphoria and want to be a different gender than their natal gender, then there are other trans people who dont want to be any gender. So they are upset because it doesnt include them if its gender specific
as far as I understand most trans people want to be a specific gender and only a smaller amount of trans people dont want to be a specific gender , or have I got that wrong and there are just people who dont want to be a specifc gender at all by choice ?

Or is there another type of gender dysphoria where you dont want to be any gender ?

Just trying to wrap my head around it

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join