It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single-payer healthcare plan advances in California Senate-without a way to pay for it

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
So Cali is leading the way in the US with a single payer system.

A proposal to adopt a single-payer healthcare system for California took an initial step forward Thursday when the state Senate approved a bare-bones bill that lacks a method for paying the $400-billion cost of the plan.

The proposal was made by legislators led by Sen. Ricardo Lara (D-Bell Gardens) at the same time President Trump and Republican members of Congress are working to repeal and replace the federal Affordable Care Act.

Not everyone is super excited about this bill.
Tom Bayhill (who has life time free govt funded insurance) believes that the private sector is better suited to "provide" healthcare. He doesn't trust the govt (again free govt funded health care for life) to run health care, what has the govt ever done right (again free govt funded health care for life for good ol'Tom).

Republican senators opposed the bill as a threat to the state’s finances.

“We don’t have the money to pay for it,” Sen. Tom Berryhill (R-Modesto) said. “If we cut every single program and expense from the state budget and redirected that money to this bill, SB 562, we wouldn’t even cover half of the $400-billion price tag.”

Berryhill also said the private sector is better suited to provide healthcare.

“I absolutely don’t trust the government to run our health system,” he said. “What has the government ever done right?”
www.latimes.com...

With the US being (by far) the most expensive system, and having a dismal #37 in health outcomes (behind Columbia) I think we maybe should start to look at other options. Is this it? I can't say, but the states are supposed to be the incubators of innovation.
edit on 2-6-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal
My parents home country of Colombia haas better health care outcomes than the USA?? No wonder my mom and her friends always flew there to get cosmetic procedures. I always figured the cost of the plane would negate any savings, but I guess its cheaper AND safer.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

World Health Organization Assesses the World's Health Systems
www.who.int...

It is a sad story of how the US medical system is super expensive and super bad.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
So, California would have to triple its tax revenue (or more) to pay for this scheme?
The financial implosion will be powerful enough to pull California under the ocean.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

I think whether or not they do this is is going to collapse, the health care system is not going to last.

I will describe the collapse to you.

Joe and Jane 6pack have 2.3 children and look at their monthly medical insurance bill next to their mmortgage. They look at each other and say they need a house, but they MAY not need heath insurance (depuctable,copays,out or pockets,pharma). They sh-can health insurance.
The system collapses.

We are now looking at peak health insurance.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

This is the direction I thought should have happened years ago when they were just starting to talk about Obama care. Have the states come up with their own plans, and when something works and is proven to work, see about adopting it on a federal level if need be, or just let other states copy the plan.

This particular plan sounds like a crack head came up with it, not understanding that money isn't something you just reach into a barrel and pull out whatever you need.

I hope they can find a way to make it work. It would be nice to see Cali output something other than crybaby celebrities and herb.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Agreed.

Was Hillary the faint right back in the 1990's. I shudder.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
All they got to do is triple the sales tax on everything.

voila

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

The price is roughly 10,000 a head. This is without cost of service reduction.

Seems single payer has cheaper prices (if that is the correct term) and better out comes.

If health insurance was our cable provider, we would have switched a long time ago. Why haven't we?

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Sadly, in a FOR PROFIT healthcare system, I don't see how it could go back to anything other. In fact, all I can think of happening is that the money gets shifted around and WE The People are the ones who wind up suffering as quality declines.
Doctors won't be schooled how to cure but rather how to prescribe and how to charge.

We are so screwed.

Except Congress of course. They'll have free and unlimited access to the best care possible, mainly because WE the People are such big pussies that we don't do a thing about it.

sorry...hard to stop once I get started.
have a great weekend :-)

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

1000% right.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

this is being done for all the illegal mexicans destroying the healthcare industry in cali. they are gonna make taxpayers pay for it and i'm sure try and pressure the feds in some way to get money even though they don't want to play by the feds rules.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: luke1212

Do you have a source for that?

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

My private coverage I had on me and my family for over a decade...went away.

mg

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
My parents home country of Colombia haas better health care outcomes than the USA?? No wonder my mom and her friends always flew there to get cosmetic procedures. I always figured the cost of the plane would negate any savings, but I guess its cheaper AND safer.

Crazy isn't it? A girl I know has been trying to get me to move to Bogota for a while, and in my research about Colombia that was one of the things I was surprised by. Their healthcare, doctors, and hospitals are so much better than the U.S.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

This is related to dental care, but part of the same monster.

I lived in Outer Mongolia for ten years. My mother needed major dental work and it was going to cost thousands. I had her fly to Outer Mongolia and set up appointments with a well known trusted dentist there who'd studied in Germany. Her dental work and all travel costs were substantially less than the dental work in the US. This included several molar crowns. And she got a two week vacation in Outer Mongolia with a locally knowledgeable guide (me).

The kicker was that a few months after returning to the states, she went in for a check-up. Her dentist - who'd tried to warn her off of going to a "third-world country" for dental work - took on look at the work from Mongolia and said, "That's some damn fine work. Where'd you get that done?"

My daughter was a teen while we were there and needed braces. We used a woman Mongol dentist who'd been trained in Cuba. (Yes, thata, Fidel Castro and all that.) The whole course, soup to nuts, was only a few hundred dollars and the results were perfect.
edit on 2017 6 02 by incoserv because: I could

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Pass.

Columbia is a third world country that spends less than 2% per capita as the United States on healthcare .

I suppose if one were a penny-pincher and only wanted some light "cosmetic" surgery, Columbia might be a viable option, but if there was something really wrong with me, the only place I would want to be treated is here in the United States.

That being said, I fully encourage all liberals who think socialized medicine is a great thing to go ahead and try their luck in Columbia or Canada or Cuba or any other country that begins with a "C"...

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

We are # 37 with health outcomes, there are a lot of countries who have much better systems.

The media has lied to us.

Our system is painfully expensive and piss poor. By design.

We need to get this under control, and in a hurry.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SBMcG

Ahhh ignoring facts.

That is how we have arrived at $1000 a month health insurance payments, $3000 deductible per head, co-pays, in network, out of network, and massive out of pocket costs. All while coming in after Columbia in health out comes.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Ah, California,
the land of fruits and nuts.

Yes, if it is going to be gov,
then it should be the same health care plan
that the congress has.

Say it isn't so. S&F

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join