It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single-payer healthcare plan advances in California Senate-without a way to pay for it

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SBMcG
Of I fully agree. In fact, what you just said pretty much mirrors what I said to mom the first time she went there for that purpose about ten years ago. Colombia is hardly third world, but I am more comfortable here where there are multiple redundant agencies for quality control, and the monetary incentives(hefty fines) to stay up to code.

Lately she only goes to visit relatives. My Grandma's sister just came back today. I hear the land is beautiful, the climate is superb, and the people very friendly. Someday I may take their insistent advice and visit.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: underwerks

We are # 37 with health outcomes, there are a lot of countries who have much better systems.

The media has lied to us.

Our system is painfully expensive and piss poor. By design.

We need to get this under control, and in a hurry.

I didn't find that out until a couple of months ago. Living in America, you just kind of take for granted that the healthcare here is top notch, when it really isn't compared to the rest of the world.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

We suffer from USA #1 syndrome. It is and isn't our fault. We believed our corp controlled media, and they lied.

Now the word is finally getting out and the next step will take someone with big boy pants on.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

We are # 37 with health outcomes, there are a lot of countries who a=have much better systems.

Tort reform and liability caps.

The current US legal system allows anyone to sue a doctor for anything and for any amount. Almost daily massive judgements are levied by juries against physicians who did everything right. It's almost as if people are to the point where they will sue God for their bad genetics.

I have 2 MD's in my family -- one in California (GP), and one in Ireland (pediatrician). Cousins both...

The one in California can be sued for anything! He was sued a couple years ago for "pain and suffering" after removing a little girl's wart. Rather than make a claim against his $120,000/year liability policy, he (and his clinic partners) settled with the family for $25,000.

My cousin in Ireland pays NO LIABILITY INSURANCE. Her "physician's group" pays for a blanket liability policy that's capped/regulated by the government and that is just a part of doing business in the Irish system. She has been in practice for 17 years (both in public hospital and private practice) and NEVER been sued.

In Ireland, the average doctor is sued only once in their career -- many are never sued. The cost of ligation is born by the plaintiff if it fails. Liability is capped if it is successful and the government's private insurer then pays the claim.

I am not saying the Irish system is preferable to ours here in the US, but from the standpoint of insurance and liability it certainly is.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

What is the average # of actions against a DR.?

How many are settled?

How many go to a jury?

How many are in tort reformed states?

How many are thrown out?

How many are frivolous?

What is the average cost to a Dr for liability insurance?

Any sources?

?

link   

Not everyone is super excited about this bill.
Tom Bayhill (who has life time free govt funded insurance) believes that the private sector is better suited to "provide" healthcare.

There's how you know people are not being genuine. Having single payer system has NOTHING to do with who is providing the healthcare. Insurance companies do not provide healthcare. They administrate the paperwork around healthcare. Big difference.

I guarantee you the healthcare cartel is just good old fashion American corruption. The CEOs who own the hospitals also own the healthcare insurance companies. The hospitals raise pricing forcing the healthcare companies to raise healthcare premium taxes. Hospitals are charging Pentagon toilet seat pricing times 10.

I hope the California plan is successful.

link   
I'm a married Californian with 3 kids and a mortgage who is already getting pulverized by taxes and Obamacare. I'm starting to think that if I want decent healthcare, I may have to run for public office

link   

originally posted by: underwerks

We are # 37 with health outcomes, there are a lot of countries who have much better systems.

I didn't find that out until a couple of months ago. Living in America, you just kind of take for granted that the healthcare here is top notch, when it really isn't compared to the rest of the world.

I go to the number two hospital in the world for all of my medical issues. I am always treated professionally and receives the best care in the world. Several times while my family has been in for extended stays we have crossed paths with world leaders getting care.

I really don't care about you, but me and mine are doing just fine and you won't be spoiling what we have.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Was Hillary right back in the 1990's?

If so I have egg on my face.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Colombia is hardly third world...

I will admit the term "third world" is a little antiquated these days, and it is certainly subjective, but after a little quick research, I think you will find that Columbia is widely considered to be a "third world" or "developing" nation.

Not that it matters... I would love to visit Columbia someday.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG

I will admit the term "third world" is a little antiquated these days, and it is certainly subjective, but after a little quick research, I think you will find that Columbia is widely considered to be a "third world" or "developing" nation.

I've lived for sort and long terms in several "third world" countries. Give the choice, I'd choose many of them over the US any day.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

What is the average # of actions against a DR.?

How many are settled?

How many go to a jury?

How many are in tort reformed states?

How many are thrown out?

How many are frivolous?

What is the average cost to a Dr for liability insurance?

Any sources?

?

Which country -- US or Ireland?

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

I've lived for sort and long terms in several "third world" countries. Give the choice, I'd choose many of them over the US any day.

Great. To each their own...

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Not everyone is super excited about this bill.
Tom Bayhill (who has life time free govt funded insurance) believes that the private sector is better suited to "provide" healthcare.

There's how you know people are not being genuine. Having single payer system has NOTHING to do with who is providing the healthcare. Insurance companies do not provide healthcare. They administrate the paperwork around healthcare. Big difference.

I guarantee you the healthcare cartel is just good old fashion American corruption. The CEOs who own the hospitals also own the healthcare insurance companies. The hospitals raise pricing forcing the healthcare companies to raise healthcare premium taxes. Hospitals are charging Pentagon toilet seat pricing times 10.

I hope the California plan is successful.

Uh yes it does. The best of any profession seek and deserve to be paid more than all others. If you limit compensation you will limit the skilled workforce in that area. California will see a migration of the best and brightest to areas that will pay them fairly. The result will be the same as in Canada where skilled practitioners are limited in quantity and thus professional care is rationed and waitlists for treatment of life threatening conditions a real thing.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: BestOf

If this is the case, then how are 36 other countries out performing the US in terms of health outcomes and cost?

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Go for it or are you just talking trash like most liberals living their internet fantasy?

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

If this is the case, then how are 36 other countries out performing the US in terms of health outcomes and cost?

The same way Harvard is considered the best college in the world but the US is ranked poorly in education. Freedom provides for both success and failure. I wouldn't have it any other way, but I understand why those on the other side of the tracks may feel differently.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The only way to make sure national healthcare is done right, is to require the politicians who vote and come up with the plan to use it for them and their own families.

Otherwise, it's just about politics.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

The problem is everyone is paying for a Harvard Education and getting a GED.

Meaning we pay for #1 health care, and get well, terrible health care.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

They don't care what plan it is. They can pay cash-or other favors wink wink.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join