It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statue of Confederate General R.E.Lee Removed.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Yes...........it really is!

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Why no, no they haven't... But there is a history of doing just that for "uncomfortable" facts, isn't there? Not just in totalitarian states, but here in the "Land of the Free, and home of the overly sensitive".

So perhaps we should add a "Not as yet" clause to the sentence?

These statues serve as memorials to both good and bad, either separately, or together. People are far too quick to see only one side to the issue.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

How far do you want to go?

Remove the 13 stripes from The U.S. Flag. It reminds people of The 13 Colonies which where built on slavery.

Remove The U.S. from the face of Planet Earth. It reminds the world it was founded on slavery.

And on and on you can go.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: Lucidparadox

You apparently dont know the reason behind the Civil War......and are apparently a student of revisionist history......

The Civil war wasnt just fought about slavery......

No historian would ever agree that without slavery there is no civil war..

No it wasn't started over slavery.. it was started of fear mongering southern elites who sold the south on Lincoln:

"freeing the slaves and giving them white slaves after forcing marriages between slaves and white women!!"

When Lincoln had absolutely no desire to abolish slavery...

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: strongfp

How far do you want to go?

Remove the 13 stripes from The U.S. Flag. It reminds people of The 13 Colonies which where built on slavery.

Remove The U.S. from the face of Planet Earth. It reminds the world it was founded on slavery.

And on and on you can go.

Exactly why I prefer the treason argument.. the slavery one gets muddy fast.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Attempting to erase history.......so sad to see this.....

Whats the difference between this and what ISIS is doing? Trying to get rid of things that make people uncomfortable......

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat that.........remember that when you try to wipe it clean......

I was at Gettysburg last summer. At the Lee on horseback monument, about to take a picture.......and from out of nowhere a black lady came and sat down right there in front. Very odd it was.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: JoshuaCox

A) from an americans pov it is glorifying treason...

Revolutionary War. Are you against it?

So there isn't a glorious history to protect.. it is protecting a very specific FU meant to tell the world they will not intergrate quietly.

History is only glorified by those as portray it as such. History is history, by that I mean all the tearing down and attempting at erasing to ease fragile minds will not change it.

If I were British, yes... I'm not britush..

The confederacy rebelled against America..in an American..

Assuming it is being remembered as it happened..

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I have figured out how to get all of the potholes fixed across the nation.

Simply spray paint the name of Confederate generals on them, then some butthurt liberal that knows nothing of history or the civil war will get the city to remove them!!

Winner winner chicken dinner.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Cancerwarrior

I think you're on to something.

just rename all illegals as "Robert E. Lee" and the censoring leftists will kick them all out themselves!

Rename ISIS as "The Confederacy" and leftists will be screaming to nuke them.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
After the statues, what is next item. Books?

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: Spider879

Yes...........it really is!

Put it to you like this, unacknowledged and irrelevancy are two different things , what you are talking about is unacknowledged history, there is simply no American history without so-called Black history as the two are deeply intertwined and is in fact the same thing, one can choose to acknowledge it or not, but that doesn't make it irrelevant.
edit on 20-5-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
After the statues, what is next item. Books?

Well they won't burn themselves!

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I don't think a statue comemorating a traitor is really a good thing to have on display. The only place I can think of appropriate would be a museum.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior
I have figured out how to get all of the potholes fixed across the nation.

Simply spray paint the name of Confederate generals on them, then some butthurt liberal that knows nothing of history or the civil war will get the city to remove them!!

Winner winner chicken dinner.

??????????????????
If you remove a pothole, all you get is a bigger hole in the road, surely?

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
I don't think a statue comemorating a traitor is really a good thing to have on display. The only place I can think of appropriate would be a museum.

Lets keep in mind the statues were meant to be a giant middle finger to the U.S.A , even though the man himself warned of such divisive stance and jingoism.

This message, something that he wrote in order to make the nation whole again was simply ignored and the racist treasonous stuff above was put in place.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Why?

Was she supposed to realize what/who the statue was and recoil in horror, or something similar...?

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Speaking from personal experience, if the pothole isn't fixed properly, that's precisely what one gets. A larger hole.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Sanitizing history serves no purpose other than to make it easier to rewrite it in the future. To avoid repeating the mistakes of the past, we need the past front and center in our faces, so I'm torn on my opinion.

I can see removing them I suppose, as long as they end up in a public venue where the story and history can be preserved. I can understand how they would be a poke in the eye to many, presented as they were.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Sanitizing history serves no purpose other than to make it easier to rewrite it in the future. To avoid repeating the mistakes of the past, we need the past front and center in our faces, so I'm torn on my opinion.

I can see removing them I suppose, as long as they end up in a public venue where the story and history can be preserved. I can understand how they would be a poke in the eye to many, presented as they were.

Yes I opt for a museum.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

No one is forcing them to view them.

If people aren't willing to take the time to learn the history as it was, and the ramification upon what is--who's to blame?

I submit it ain't Robert E. Lee, or Stonewall Jackson...or any of the other Confederate soldiers commemorated in stone.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join