It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Big cat' spotted in Somerset, UK.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

That would be only as unlikely in the UK, as would discovering a wandering panther.

Bear or panther, the fact is that neither thing is part of the natural habitat of this country, and even if there ever were native populations of either animal here, they were hunted out of existence. The bear species we used to have here dwindled to the point of non-existence at least one thousand years ago, and if there ever were native big cats, and I mean properly big cats, not overgrown housecats, then they have not been seen in these Isles for a great deal longer than that.

If this IS a panther or some other similar creature, it is an import which has escaped from a private collection or a zoo at some stage. Of course, something like this roaming a country like Britain would have to be leaving some fairly significant evidence behind it, of what it has killed and eaten. It would be a farmers nightmare, because our dairy and meat farms are not the huge, hundred mile territories that some ranches in the states have been known to comprise. Oh no. Smaller land, means smaller land parcels. Our hedgerows would make it very difficult for even a large cow to plough through in order to escape a ravenous apex predator like a panther, and so you would expect farmers to be reporting the deaths of cattle and sheep, goats, pigs and the like. A panther sized black cat would have to consume a significant number of animals annually, and foxes and badgers would not be large enough prey to sate its appetites for long.

If this thing is really some kind of big cat, then it must be leaving a mark on someones livestock, a mark they have seen. Now, a bear of some sort could live out in the sticks someplace and be more inconspicuous than a big cat, because bears are capable of living off a wider variety of foods, and hunting in a wider variety of ways, than are big cats. Big cats are "See food, chase food, kill food, eat food" types. Bears though, they fish, they dig out stuff from within rotten trees, they have a more diverse diet too.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: blackbird9393

We have big cats here in Australia. Apparently they are synonymous with the yowie (Big foot) which myself and several of my friends have witnessed. At least one of my friends have seen a big black cat.

We didn't even bother trying to take photos. I didn't think of it. I was gobsmacked at what I was looking at.

Don't know why they are kept secret. May be same reason as aliens.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Interesting. A video would answer the story in two seconds, so why no video?

The first thing I looked at was the gait. It doesn't look like a big cat, they are more lithe and graceful, and it looks far too big and powerful for a dog, and i've seen a 200 pound mastiff. My gut tells me this is an escaped circus bear, there are many stories of circus animals on the loose. But I could be wrong, The weird thing is looks like a giant Hyena-A cryptid maybe? better get Mulder on the phone...

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
It looks feline to me although I'm certainly no expert. There is however, one feature that has me leaning toward my conclusion...

I could be totally wrong so correct me if anyone here knows better but the way its shoulder blade is raised in the above image strikes me as how a big cat appears whilst walking.

Like I said I could be totally off but that feature doesn't seem as prominent in canines.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Interesting. A video would answer the story in two seconds, so why no video?

The first thing I looked at was the gait. It doesn't look like a big cat, they are more lithe and graceful, and it looks far too big and powerful for a dog, and i've seen a 200 pound mastiff. My gut tells me this is an escaped circus bear, there are many stories of circus animals on the loose. But I could be wrong, The weird thing is looks like a giant Hyena-A cryptid maybe? better get Mulder on the phone...

Look at the tail, have you ever seen a bear with a tail that long?

Warmest

Lags

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Black Jaguar.

The inward pointing front right paw as it steps forward... the high left shoulder blade...
the long tail, the shiny coat, and the funny face (Jaguars have a funny shaped face)...

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that it's a Black Jaguar.

What it's doing wandering through the English countryside on the other hand LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I have no idea.

But I am so glad we finally have photographic evidence, albeit a bit grainy, after all the sightings.
edit on 15-5-2017 by 0racle because: (no reason given)

Dislcaimer:

Could be a pet dog.
edit on 15-5-2017 by 0racle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I'm with others, my first thought was a smaller bear, or the picture is just bad quality

Second thought a panther but I'm not sure if you all have panthers over there in that area?

-Alee

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0racle
Black Jaguar.

The inward pointing front right paw as it steps forward... the high left shoulder blade...
the long tail, the shiny coat, and the funny face (Jaguars have a funny shaped face)...

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that it's a Black Jaguar.

What it's doing wandering through the English countryside on the other hand LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I have no idea.

But I am so glad we finally have photographic evidence, albeit a bit grainy, after all the sightings.

Dislcaimer:

Could be a pet dog.

Now you've got me thinking. I'd think it'd be possible that it could be a Jaguar, and a pet. Perhaps someones exotic pet that they let go (sadly people do that a lot) or that got out some time ago and has been living off the local land?

-Alee

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Looks kinda like a big cat,but I`d bet it`s a dog,probably a lab.Photo isn`t really good enough to be positive.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

It's not a cat or a bear. It's an obvious hoax.
edit on 15-5-2017 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

It's not a cat or a bear. It's an obvious hoax.

It actually could be but for the moment no CGI expert has come along yet to debunk.

Warmest

Lags

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Yep, I'm no expert but the way the cat tail mingles with the bear head. It's either a weird model someone built or a bear model with a cat tail shopped in.

I don't need to be an expert to see it.

Edit to add: Whether it's a model or a Photoshop, the 'cat tail' is part of the fencing. Maybe it really is a real bear. Stranger things have happened.
edit on 15-5-2017 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
just a prop

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

nope, no bears, no big cats over here, just stupid myths, check out Beast of Bodmin

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
many of people have stated the fact we dont have big cats or bears over here but you all still carry on with "its a bear, its a big cat" bs

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Yep, I'm no expert but the way the cat tail mingles with the bear head. It's either a weird model someone built or a bear model with a cat tail shopped in.

I don't need to be an expert to see it.

Edit to add: Whether it's a model or a Photoshop, the 'cat tail' is part of the fencing. Maybe it really is a real bear. Stranger things have happened.

Sorry but I don't see fencing when zooming in and I must respectfully disagree when you say bear head.

Warmest

Lags

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

No worries mate

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Dude you got me thinking too

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TOMFROMOZ

It looks feline to me although I'm certainly no expert. There is however, one feature that has me leaning toward my conclusion...

I could be totally wrong so correct me if anyone here knows better but the way its shoulder blade is raised in the above image strikes me as how a big cat appears whilst walking.

Like I said I could be totally off but that feature doesn't seem as prominent in canines.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
That picture is most obviously depicting a bear.

How in the f people are getting feline out of this beats the hell out of me.

And makes sense for a bear to show up at a picnic to take your picnic basket.
edit on 15-5-2017 by Jimmycrackerson3 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join