It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI report finds officers ‘de-policing’ as anti-cop hostility becomes ‘new norm’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Source

Some folks saw this happening and from my perception, was the logical next step.

“Departments — and individual officers — have increasingly made the decision to stop engaging in proactive policing,” said the report by the FBI Office of Partner Engagement obtained by The Washington Times.

FBI spokesman Matthew Bertron said the study was written in April. “Nearly every police official interviewed agreed that for the first time, law enforcement not only felt that their national political leaders [publicly] stood against them, but also that the politicians’ words and actions signified that disrespect to law enforcement was acceptable in the aftermath of the Brown shooting,” the study said.

There are two driving factors to this. One is the media. In its pursuit for clicks, likes, shares, upvotes etc., they will be the first to find and exploit these types of stories. In many cases before all the facts are in and speculation still runs amok. Second only to the reaction from certain factions within the public who go off those initial reports and see any action against local authorities as justified.

The report examined 50 of the 53 incidents last year in which officers were killed in the line of duty, excluding the three cases that involved minors or perpetrators who remain unknown. Most of the assailants who used deadly force against officers did so in an effort to avoid being taken into custody, but 28 percent were motivated by hatred of police and a desire to “kill law enforcement,” in some cases fueled by social and political movements.

Sure, there is no shortage of egotistical officers with a lust for power and a desire to wield it. We have seen it before and will likely see it again, however that should not represent LEO's as a whole. Conversely, there a far more anti- types of groups out there.

Finally;

While racial tension has been the focus of deadly police encounters since the Brown shooting, nearly half of the assailants who killed officers in 2016 — 48 percent — were white, the FBI study found.

Of the rest, 36 percent were black, 14 percent were Hispanic, and 2 percent were Native Alaskan. Nearly all — 86 percent — had criminal histories; 60 percent had used drugs, and 32 percent were under the influence at the time of the attack.

In addition, 26 percent were under active warrants, and 24 percent had known gang affiliations. All were men.

Strip all of the labels away and what you have is most were breaking or had broken the law which would facilitate the need for the authorities presence.

Here's to hoping we don't have another summer like last.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Lmao good, the less of them on the street the better.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

You may get your wish..someday.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Is "de-policing" the same as letting yourself be beat into a near-coma, like the Chicago police officer was last year? She was afraid of the public backlash, so she let bad-guy pound her against the concrete until backup arrived.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Not soon enough.

These jerk offs run around like Terminators most of them. They instigate the hostile situations they are in 9/10. I DO NOT CARE about the crime they speak of that exists as it too is mostly caused and allowed to happen thanks in part to Uncle Sam not giving 1 hooten Da** about the problem et-all. We all risk life and death the moment we wake up so cry me a river and quit if you cannot handle being hated like DS because you act like DS to everyone.

No man is Judge, Jury, Executioner...and If you believe you art..well..the stats speak for themselves..don't they.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

How did a situation like that transpire other than the pip squeak likely thought she was = to a man?

Playing Cowboys and Indians may get you scalped. Find another profession.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Is "de-policing" the same as letting yourself be beat into a near-coma, like the Chicago police officer was last year? She was afraid of the public backlash, so she let bad-guy pound her against the concrete until backup arrived.

The report cited an example in which an officer was slammed to the ground and beaten but refused to shoot the assailant “for fear of community backlash.”

The article mentioned it.

+12 more 
posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Not soon enough.

These jerk offs run around like Terminators most of them. They instigate the hostile situations they are in 9/10. I DO NOT CARE about the crime they speak of that exists as it too is mostly caused and allowed to happen thanks in part to Uncle Sam not giving 1 hooten Da** about the problem et-all. We all risk life and death the moment we wake up so cry me a river and quit if you cannot handle being hated like DS because you act like DS to everyone.

No man is Judge, Jury, Executioner...and If you believe you art..well..the stats speak for themselves..don't they.

This has to be the most ridiculous post I've seen in a long time. I guess you failed to read how the ones the police are killing are violent CRIMINALS 99% of the time.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Aww? Needing to result to insults already?

Pics/Video of said violent criminals or cop is lying.

Peace.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

These jerk offs run around like Terminators most of them. They instigate the hostile situations they are in 9/10

Citation needed. Sounds awful opinionated.

I DO NOT CARE about the crime they speak of that exists as it too is mostly caused and allowed to happen thanks in part to Uncle Sam not giving 1 hooten Da** about the problem et-all

Fine, good, you don't care about the crime. Should you or more importantly, someone close to you become the victim, I don't expect you'll give them a call. Perhaps take it into your own hands? Do you think that will play out in your favor? We are a society of laws afterall.

We all risk life and death the moment we wake up so cry me a river and quit if you cannot handle being hated like DS because you act like DS to everyone.

Some more than others.....clearly.

Well you got this one right, that's why we have laws and penalties.....and authorities to enforce them.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Why would you heavily police areas where it gets you criticized, fired, or killed? Darren Wilson was a warning to all police officers. Let these people feel the pain, eventually they will recognize your importance, or they kill each other off, either way, we will all be better off.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
Why would you heavily police areas where it gets you criticized, fired, or killed? Darren Wilson was a warning to all police officers. Let these people feel the pain, eventually they will recognize your importance, or they kill each other off, either way, we will all be better off.

Problem with that logic is that there is always collateral damage....in the form of innocent lives. A very hard catch-22.

+1 more 
posted on May, 5 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   

a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Aww? Needing to result to insults already?

Pics/Video of said violent criminals or cop is lying.

Peace.

Like Mike Brown? You mean the video of the 2 men saying "man he kept charging and he started shooting"

You mean tamir rice, where once the video was shown frame by frame, of this kid turning, lifting his shirt, and drawing?

Alton sterling, with the gun in his pocket?

Anyway I gotta go to sleep. Be well.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Problem with that logic is that there is always collateral damage....in the form of innocent lives. A very hard catch-22.

When there is enough collateral damage, the sane will outnumber and overpower the insane. Until then, what can police do? Once enough people are murdered, once enough innocents are killed, the communities will rise up and demand more policing. As long as these communities target police and feel they are too heavily policed, there is nothing law enforcement can do. Back off, let them see how bad things get without police, then when they want to restore order, police can come back in. It sucks that innocent people will have to be killed, but this is the place we are in these communities.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

From anecdotal evidence, I can say that is not the standing of the officers that I have encountered over the years. Protecting the innocent is still a virtue they share even if it does not outwardly appear so. It's also worth noting I've only known about 12 total.

The communities breed this and in a way enforce the rules of no police contact etc. Almost a Stockholm syndrome effect on the neighborhoods and the people.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

The report cited an example in which an officer was slammed to the ground and beaten but refused to shoot the assailant “for fear of community backlash.”

The article mentioned it.

Yep..thank-you for having a keen eye, and pointing that out!

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   

a reply to: carewemust

How did a situation like that transpire other than the pip squeak likely thought she was = to a man?

Playing Cowboys and Indians may get you scalped. Find another profession.

This officer was a 12-year veteran. But I know where you're coming from. Any of us can "burn out", if we're in a stressful profession that we don't really enjoy.

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   

When there is enough collateral damage, the sane will outnumber and overpower the insane. Until then, what can police do? Once enough people are murdered, once enough innocents are killed, the communities will rise up and demand more policing. As long as these communities target police and feel they are too heavily policed, there is nothing law enforcement can do. Back off, let them see how bad things get without police, then when they want to restore order, police can come back in. It sucks that innocent people will have to be killed, but this is the place we are in these communities.

I understand your point. I can't help but say the obvious which is that violence would spill over the sides of these communities and then we would have a serious problem with vigilantes. I could see it turning into an all out urban guerrilla warfare scenario, not that it isn't already in some of the worst areas.

Like the police or not, they ARE what is standing between order and complete chaos before the national guard is sent in. Whether they're there or not, criminals have to plan carefully not to get caught. I certainly do not wish to see the day they don't need to do that anymore.
edit on E31America/ChicagoFri, 05 May 2017 01:29:50 -05005amFridayth01am by EternalShadow because: a correction

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   

edit on 5-5-2017 by SR1TX because: (no reason given)

Really does speak for itself. There are lots more like this.

The Police here suck more often than not, end of story.
edit on 5-5-2017 by SR1TX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

Ah, biased youtube videos. While sometimes entertaining rarely fully factual.

www.odmp.org...

killedbypolice.net...

Have youtube videos for those ^^ ?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join