It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigrant groups target CMPD, demand police money cuts and ending road checkpoints

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Believing “immigration status should not affect our rights,” a group of immigrant advocates released a list of demands for Charlotte and Mecklenburg County officials on Wednesday, most of which call for protecting and giving benefits to people in the country illegally.

Among the demands: ending all Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police motor-vehicle checkpoints and decriminalizing “minor” offenses such as driving under the influence of alcohol.

The list was created by the Southeast Asian Coalition, Comunidad Colectiva and Alerta Migratoria, all of which are pushing city and county leaders to defy laws that call for the arrest and deportation of people who are in the country illegally. In Mecklenburg County, experts estimate that could be as many as 54,000 people.

Source: Story Here

My thoughts... They should write these demands to Trump and get his thoughts.

Apologies if this has been posted previously.

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Thu Apr 20 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
So...."Stop enforcing the law and give us the money you'd have spent doing it"......."Oh and let us drive drunk too...it's just a minor offense....nobody gets hurt if I have a few too many, so..yeah, don't be takin folks to jail for that."
Right..

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I completely support the banning of road blocks. Drunk driving doesn't need to be decriminalized though, that's kind of weird.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Believing “immigration status should not affect our rights,” a group of immigrant advocates released a list of demands for Charlotte and Mecklenburg County officials on Wednesday, most of which call for protecting and giving benefits to people in the country illegally.

People that willfully break, and ignore the law should not expect to get rewarded for it, and are not entitled to a damn thing.

What they have a RIGHT to is ?

Getting kicked out,

Do not pass go.

Do not get to collect $200.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408

Yep.

This is what happens when you open your borders and allow cultural Marxism into your country to destroy it!

Unbelievable!!

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Mark my words, the moment you make what was a previous serious crime "more minor" you are on a slippery slope.. Case in point is Europe and London in particular, they did it the late 90's and I have seen a massive increase in peoples attitudes to offences. People steal knowing they will get away with it, youths use the fact they are under 18 and not subject to the same procedures as a adult. Really this subject would need its own thread!!!...

I would ask anyone that has lost someone to drink driving what they think???, is it a good idea, next it would be driving under the influence of drugs!! and so the goal post move again.

The sad fact to all this is the very first point of the argument, defending people that are in the country illegally, I would be sh1tting myself if I was illegally in a country, let a lone driving as how would you gain a legal licence? yet this situation is not meant to be addressed???..

I can only think the current rhetoric where we see foreign nationals flooding in really is straight out of a conspiracy theory of attempting to water down the local population to a multi cultural soup that in the long will be easier for the higher up's to manipulate...

RA
edit on 20-4-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982
Mark my words, the moment you make what was a previous serious crime "more minor" you are on a slippery slope.. Case in point is Europe and London in particular, they did in the late 90's and I have seen a massive increase in peoples attitudes to offences. People steal knowing they will get away with it, youths use the fact they are under 18 and not subject to the same procedures as a adult. Really this subject would need its own thread!!!...

I would ask anyone that has lost someone to drink driving what they think???, is it a good idea, next it would be driving under the influence of drugs!! and so the goal post move again.

The sad fact to all this is the very first point of the argument, defending people that are in the country illegally, I would be sh1tting myself if I was illegally in country, let a lone driving as how would you gain a legal licence? yet this situation is not meant to be addressed???..

I can only think the current rhetoric where we see foreign nationals flooding in really is straight out of a conspiracy theory of attempting to water down the local population to a multi cultural soup that in the long will be easier for the higher up's to manipulate...

RA

It isn't a conspiracy at all!

Peter Sutherland on his discussion with the pope from 2015!

This is a globalist agenda and not a conspiracy at all....
edit on 20-4-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
How about free trips back to country of origin.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
That's some pretty strong demands considering they are in country illegally, they should be entitled to exactly jack shize in my opinion and the drink driving being labelled a minor offense just totally bulldozes anything that could of been a credible demand anyway.

I'm pretty sure if one of their family members or friends was mowed down and more than likely killed by someone under the influence they wouldn't view drink driving as a minor offense, and besides this i shudder to think what other things they would also view as a minor offense if they think drink driving is OK

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU0408
This is why people don't take groups like these seriously--their "demands" are asking to be ridiculed by the world.

To be a bit more serious, though, they're taking the fight to the wrong people. If they have demands about laws on the books, they should be demanding something from their legislatures, not the people sworn to uphold the laws that they create, and citizens choose to break (then demand police pardons for it).

Again--asking to be ridiculed.
edit on 20-4-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
These are the same groups that have said ICE was conducting raids in the city, to include raiding elementary schools, as well as setting up roadblocks all over the city to conduct citizenship checks (pro-tip: they haven't done either of those things).

Same groups that say CMPD is "enforcing immigration law" alongside ICE (pro-tip: it doesn't.)

They have spent the last several months trying to make it sound as if the entire Hispanic community is afraid to leave their homes at this point. They've gone so far as to have "unnamed victims" claim that CMPD and ICE have pulled legal residents out of their vehicles at these supposed checkpoints and sexually assaulted them (pro-tip: the checkpoints don't exist so I'm not sure how one can be assaulted at a checkpoint).

Fun times.
edit on 20-4-2017 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

Mark my words, the moment you make what was a previous serious crime "more minor" you are on a slippery slope.. Case in point is Europe and London in particular, they did it the late 90's and I have seen a massive increase in peoples attitudes to offences. People steal knowing they will get away with it, youths use the fact they are under 18 and not subject to the same procedures as a adult. Really this subject would need its own thread!!!...

This is spot on
especially regarding the youth problem, which in the UK as a whole as gone down hill in a big way.
The lack of respect and just general decency from a large number (NOT all i admit) but a big old chunk of youths today is astounding and its exactly as you say... they know/think they are untouchable.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I along with a friend stopped a robbery where a group of 3 "children" no older than 14 had kicked a guy off his scooter and rather than just nicking it one of them pulled out a 10" knife and repeatedly attempted to stab the gentlemen in the chest..

The Police showed up and we scouted the area for them, I suggested going to the local McDonalds but the officers stated "we cannot do that because it would look like we are leading a witness!!!"

I then did my statement and he said this was the forth incident regarding a knife he had dealt with that night, as all where committed by "youths" these attacks where never heard about, the news outlets cannot post about incidents where a minor is the main suspect in case it damages that persons character when they are an adult (You cannot make the BS up), are the poor children do not know any better until their 18th Birthday!!!, what a load of horse #.. This is the reason that the along with Europe is a fu#king # hole...

RA

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
I completely support the banning of road blocks. Drunk driving doesn't need to be decriminalized though, that's kind of weird.

Can you give a solid argument for doing away with road blocks?

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

originally posted by: underwerks

Can you give a solid argument for doing away with road blocks?

The 4th Amendment.

In 1990, the U.S. Supreme Court determined that, despite their “intrusion on individual liberties,” being stopped in a DUI checkpoint does not violate a person’s Fourth Amendment’s protection from unreasonable searches and seizures. Despite this ruling, drivers continue to challenge the legality of DUI checkpoints, asking one very persistent question: are DUI checkpoints unconstitutional?

However, as several dissenting judges pointed out, the Constitution doesn’t make room for exceptions and, whether beneficial or not, DUI checkpoints are a clear violation of the Fourth Amendment, forcing drivers to participate in “suspicionless investigatory seizures.”

Ultimately, the U.S. Supreme Court decided to leave it up to each state to determine whether law officers could use DUI checkpoints to apprehend suspected drunk drivers. Following this ruling, eleven states passed laws to prohibit roadblocks, while the remaining 39 states continued to allow them.

www.duicheckpoints.net...

I don't believe the government has the right to snoop into anything I'm doing without probable cause. That includes random searches of citizens.

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I don't understand how some people think they are "entitled" for everything! Gimme, gimme, gimme. If you want to live here, come in legally. And as someone whose entire life changed in a couple of seconds by a drunk driver, I think making it a minor crime is ludicrous. While we're at it, make rape minor too! And what the heck? Stealing and prostitution are "survival" crimes? Let's just make gangs "social clubs!"

Wow. Just wow. 😡

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lolliek
I don't understand how some people think they are "entitled" for everything! Gimme, gimme, gimme. If you want to live here, come in legally. And as someone whose entire life changed in a couple of seconds by a drunk driver, I think making it a minor crime is ludicrous. While we're at it, make rape minor too! And what the heck? Stealing and prostitution are "survival" crimes? Let's just make gangs "social clubs!"

Wow. Just wow. 😡

Why did you have to go and give them ideas like that? Somebody will inevitably take those are serious suggestions

posted on Apr, 20 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Ahhh good ol' Mecklenburg county....

I lived there for 5 months last year/beginning of this year. It felt like "home". Home being southeast AZ on the border. No habla ingles
Some of the most killer Mexican food I've had in my life, and that is really saying something! I honestly am not trying to be sarcastic. I liked it there.

On a more serious note: this is absolutely dumb and I'm shocked (not really) that some people had the stones to try to get this thing taken seriously. As one poster pointed out, how can you be here illegally and think nothing of hopping in a car and driving? And being drunk none the less. "But yeah no biggie guys! Let's just try to make all of these things legal."

ETA: I never encountered police stops in my time there.

Crazy times.
edit on 20-4-2017 by Ilovemygreatdanes because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-4-2017 by Ilovemygreatdanes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I see a problem with your argument of 4th amendment violation. A stop to check isnt anything unless you are acting suspicious. They dont search you unless you give them a reason such as the smell of alchohol or something in plain sight which isnt unlawful or breaking their 4th amendment rights.

Also you can legally refuse by stating i refuse under my rights as a US citizen. COps can also Lie to you so do not believe anything they say about prosecuting you or them cutting you a break. the DA determines sentencing not them.

new topics

top topics

join