It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: British PM Theresa May to make major announcement (Early Elections)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scouse100

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Scouse100

Sure, the accountancy costs can be prohibitive for some small businesses, but every legal framework to avoid paying tax, such as Amazon and Google enjoy, is available to small business.
Tax avoidance is legal, tax evasion is not.
I am self employed, I work within the law and exploit any legislation which helps me pay less tax.
It is up to the people to force government to change the laws they are unhappy with.

I am also self employed but do not believe in exploiting tax laws. I agree with you about people forcing the government to change the laws, which is why I will be voting Labour!

The law allows me to claim a loss on tools etc, that is simply legislation.
Which legislative regulations do you oppose?
Those which simplistically allow us to avoid tax, or those which require considered legal application, such as creating limited companies etc?
Why?
Following law is good enough for me, and if the people want those laws changed then vote for it.
...labour would be a wasted vote in my constituency lol
edit on 18.4.2017 by grainofsand because: clarity

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

That's not exploitation is it. You know what's fair and what is not (legal does not always mean fair or moral). Now of course corporations will exploit the law to make as much profit as possible but I don't agree with this as it is almost always at someone else's expense.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Okay I'll rephrase it.
I'll employ any legal framework to avoid tax.
You claim expenses so what is wrong with employing any other legislation to avoid tax?
Whine and vote about the law, not those who negotiate said law.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Yes I agree to make a change the law needs to change, that's why I won't vote Tory, they are in bed with these people. I reserve the right to moan, but I accept that won't serve as anything except maybe self-therapy.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I do actually admire your commitment to the cause secretly.
Shh, you ain't seen me okay.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Might be worth actually voting against my current MP, around 62% voted to leave and he voted remain so a slight boo boo is detected, the funny thing is when I worked at the local council I did an half day on voting theory (voluntary but did include coffee and biscuits
and was easier than arsing around changing password etc) )but I've never bothered to slap the X actually myself as when I look at the choice I just think theres some idiots around if they vote for X
edit on 18-4-2017 by Maxatoria because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-4-2017 by Maxatoria because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I called it in March : shouldn't May be calling an election to solidify her position ?

At that time, i felt that for "democracy's" sake it was a given
(for May) to be able to legitimately implement Brexit given that :

y'all voted,
Dave's resigned
I'm the unelected One
who's gonna do stuff in the party's name

Legitimacy seemed to lack

Whatever, May is playing her cards right

May 'should' win by a landlside....
Labour should be dumped out.
Foot, Benn, Kinnock ... Corbyn
^¨^

The only dream
sloppy wet-one
is to vote en masse for the LibDems
Really

(Okaay ... Crazyshot .. Truebrit! )

Heuuufffftthhtffttftt ?

The only way to fully, truthfully
put Brexit comfortably to bed
Is to vote Labour
(seriously)

It'd be at least a mealy mouthed apology, y'know?

rather than a stark choice between grim
and grimmer.... or even, grim with glimmers of ..
.....nada !!
edit on 18/4/17 by Damiel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Do you want a Muslim in at no 10? You'll get that eventually if you vote to the left and when they get in their foot in the door, we'll have big probs and all those on the left will be changing to the right..

They already run a lot of councils in the UK and put their people up the ladder into council housing ahead of anyone else.

posted on Apr, 18 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scouse100
Could this be one reason why May called the election in such a hurry?

Exclusive: CPS considering charges against over 30 people including Tory MPs over expenses

Yes it could . Could be channel4 weighing in against Brexit as well . Exclusive

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Do you want a Muslim in at no 10? You'll get that eventually if you vote to the left and when they get in their foot in the door, we'll have big probs and all those on the left will be changing to the right..

They already run a lot of councils in the UK and put their people up the ladder into council housing ahead of anyone else.

Just a few reality check's for you to ponder, the Islamic community in particular (And definitely NO I do not but reason what I say here) is outpacing our own in child birth rate's, educational standard's and has a strong will and belief that they will someday take over our nation, now I have nothing racist against them but I am British and a Christian and Islam is an abomination in my sight, any religion in which a so called prophet married a six year old child is most definitely so.

But not to drift off track, you are hating Labor because of the Islamic Labor Vote's, is that right, what about the Islamic Conservative vote's etc.

Now back to what I was saying, there community has more children per household, they are per household often better off than us, they have been wrongly by ALL government's and local authority's prioritized for welfare AND social housing ahead of our own kid's when in fact that Welfare paid for out of OUR tax is meant for OUR people and NOT these immigrant's with there alien culture and tradition's, now once again you are going to say Labor and I am going to respond by saying this, IF OUR GOVERNMENT PROVIDED SOCIAL HOUSING, PROPER GOOD EDUCATION, CHILD SUPPORT, SUBSIDISED INDUSTRY for our OWN People as it was intended when the social system's were implemented after WW2 and NOT for people from other nation's and part's of the world then our family's would be big again would'nt they, our young would be available as a ready workforce, our skill's would be number one in the world again and our REAL economy not the doomed city of london one which is about to move to Germany after brexit and just keep a foot hold in the city of london and which does not benefit our people one bit, only the ultra elite and foreign non british tycoon's, OUR REAL ECONOMY would rise again.

Now cutting child support, forcing both parent's to work, ridiculous cost of rent's are TORY legacy's not Labor Legacy's, the TORY's call the poor people SURPLUS population and DISPOSABLE population, they always have and they are not interested in a Great Britain only in there own personal GREAT BANK ACCOUNT's so do not delude yourself.

Also I have no problem with people of other races, incompatible culture's and religion's yes but not race and you do realize we are an island don't you, a girl in every port goes both way's, What exactly is British.

Also make absolutely no ball's about it, if the Tory's win Britain is Finished as a unified great nation, first Scotland will break away then the Welsh once England is on the back foot also not wanting to be dominated by Tory's in the ENGLISH parliament will also call for independence and they will get it, the Former UK will become a group of individual nation's on the edge of europe, in time those nation's may even choose to go back into the EU if it will accept them on IT's term's which will mean that the Debacle the Tory's have caused will end the UK once and for all.

Oh and given the relative birth rate of the Islamic community, the number of weak minded English converts to it and the relatively low birth rate of the native population how would voting for the Tory's prevent a future Islamic leader if and when they gain enough percentage of the population to put one into our parliament, how will the Tory's with there own Islamic MP's ever stop that.

Social justice pal, use our welfare system correctly, pay for all children of family's (our familys but prioritise working familys to recieve more as there are some true lay about's that have ruined it for the genuinely needy) who earn too little so those kid's are clothed and fed, restore free school meal's for all kid's oh and I wont be liked here bring bag corporal punishment the kid's these days are out of control, removing corporal punishment did not create a utopia of flower loving hippy's but it did create an anarchic society which was also already suffering from exually devient judges letting scum bag's off after they committed some pretty horrific crime's and by the run away drug culture which has compounded the problems because kid's do not have a future thank's to the Tory's and NEW LABOR so the turn to any escape they can, we don't have enough kid's and yet what few we do have are being destroyed by these right wing policy's.

I would suggest you get a fan and blow some of that blue mist away because the truth is apparently not what you think it is.

edit on 19-4-2017 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Election it is!

Wow,
another attempt to derail our referendum result perhaps?
Or is she seeing it as her chance to gain a huuuuuge majority now that Labour is in such a mess?

The liberal Democrats just gained 1000 plus members minutes after this announcement so I think not.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: defiythelie

I have a personal dislike of Cleg the former leader, family matter but I wish the rest of the Liberal's and there new leader well and would otherwise vote for them myself, that said I am voting Green because they are speaking more common sense than most party's these day's despite being tiny as of yet, they too will likely gain a lot of vote's this time around.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Yes, it would alter the methodology and it would alter the kind of Brexit Britain gets. I understand the social principles you have in your heart, there are many that I share, having experienced the hardships of unemployment and being thrown on the scrapheap. I'm working now, however, 4 years of unemployment took its toll on me, but I will not belabour the struggle I went through.

What you want to see in society is the same thing I want, but that kind of society is not for this time, it really isn't, there are too many mindsets around who reject it, and it isn't just the Tories. For you and I to see the society we want, we have to recognise the path to be taken to get there. There is no magic wand that can be waved to bring it about. The society we want is for another, more civilised time, and that is many decades away.

And how many years are you prepared to wait for the kind of society you want? How many years of passivity, offering permission to government to inflict grinding, brutal and unnecessary hardships, how many unemployed, disabled, elderly or mentally ill people have to literally die, before the body count becomes to great to bare? My grandfather, once he had returned from war, and became a shop steward at Ford Dagenham, campaigned for workers rights all his life, for the welfare of the needy, for the plight of the sick. He did not do these things so that his grandchildren, and their children, would have to contend with THIS! He did those things to ensure that not only would future generations cease to contend with these hardships, but also to remove the yoke from around the necks of people in his own generation.

There is no justification for postponing the progress that we require in order to achieve the society that we NEED, and now, regardless of, or perhaps precisely because of the situation we face at present, is most absolutely the time to ensure that the future this nation deserves begins IMMEDIATELY, with NO waiting, NO watching to see what scrap might fall from the high table. There will be no future worth living in for any of our children, or for ourselves, if we allow ourselves to be fooled into permitting the hand that starves us to continue to do so. People are dying NOW. People are suffering NOW. No government unprepared to address THAT situation, can be permitted to continue in its role, leave alone one which is a decent portion of the cause of that suffering, these deaths, the victimisation of the defenceless.

We need the most successful brexit we can achieve, and only the alleged 'corporatist swine' currently leading Britain can set down the 'Brexit' path that will lay the foundations to the society we want. The Tories are the only party more united than the other parties, who are fractured and divided by mindset.

A party divided by mindset, but at least containing a shred of morality and decency, is going to be a damned sight better for us long term, than a party who is united, but united only by avarice, contempt for those it considers lower class, disdain for the life and death struggle that their policy forces upon the citizens. There is no way for the Conservative Party to lay the foundations of the nation that I want, that people all over the country want, because no one, given the bald facts, would choose a society founded upon phobia, greed and tyrannical treatment of the voiceless. Many people, perhaps the only people in this country worth a damn, would rather see the nation crumble to ashes, than exist in such a state of utter anguish as would be the result of runaway Conservative policy.

This coming snap election is not about parties, it is about country, it is about what is best for Britain, not just in years to come, but about right now, this present moment. We cannot allow ourselves to think and act in a partisan way, we have to recognise that a strong Britain now, gives us a greater opportunity to change it to the society we want down the line. Any other way is to push it further from our grasp. It may not be a palatable thing to taste, but it is the way.

I hope you can see this and accept it?

This is, as you have correctly identified, not actually about partisanship. It is, again as you have correctly identified, about here and now as well as tomorrow. You could take the party names out of the equation, erase their history entire from the mind, and I would still come back to this:

The party with the most principled members, the most compassionate members, the most hardworking and willing slaves to the people, must ALWAYS win. There must NEVER be a self interested party in government. The government must be not only elected by, but given direction by the will and the needs of the people, and by no other driving force, for anything less than this would be tyranny. That is not partisanship, that is about principle. I do not want to live in a country run by people who have their own interests at heart, I do not want to live in a country run by corporatism, I do not want to live in a country where public services are run by private companies at a premium, and I do not want to live in a country where the poor starve to death, while those elected to lead them guffaw at their plight.

The whole reason I voted to leave the EU, was to cut off part of the corporatist support network that the UK government had been enjoying the benefits of. The next blow in this battle is to ensure that a REAL Labour government is installed in its place, which will make certain that what follows will NOT be a total disaster for the only people in this country who actually keep it going, the hardworking, but utterly under appreciated citizen, the underpaid, the overworked, the three jobs and no hope backbone of this country, who are the REAL wealth creators. This country cannot transition away from the EU with Conservative ideals driving policy decisions, without absolute catastrophe for the majority of citizens, because the majority of citizens are riding a knife edge, if not already having slipped and cut themselves badly. This cannot continue for ONE more year, leave alone another term. It must not, it cannot, and if there is a shred of sense in the electorate, it will not.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

So who you voting for then?

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I will be voting Labour in the upcoming election.

For all the problems they are having, they are the only party with the moral center required to ensure that the greedy do not use the transition as a means to damage the rights of the people.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: defiythelie

Ooh a thousand members?

Tell you what, if they get more than 12 MP's after the GE I shan't have a beer or a ring donut for an entire month.

I know quite a few people who voted for that snake, Clegg only to see the Lib Dems sell out every principle to climb into bed with Disco Dave. I was one of them.
I can't foresee a situation where I will ever trust that shower with my vote again.

For what it's worth, seeing the implosion of UKIP and the fact that there is only one party actually taking the line of pulling the UK from the EU entirely makes me think we are in for a Thatcheresque landslide.

I wouldn't be totally surprised to see the Tories pick up a couple of seats in Scotland too, Every time I have seen her on telly or heard her on the radio, Ruth Davidson has sounded more and more like someone with an antidote to the current SNP or nothing situation up north.

I did a little straw poll and my Mrs (who has never voted Conservative in her life) pulled a face and told me she is going to bite the bullet and vote blue too. So did a couple of guys from work.
Sure it's not Gallup or Mori, but I think it gives a good insight into what the upcoming election will be about.
edit on 50pWed, 19 Apr 2017 06:09:50 -050020172017-04-19T06:09:50-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   

All I'm going to say is 'be careful what you want here' and 'what sort of Society do you want your children growing up in?'

Also if you watch these elections... dont forget to view who is an mp in each constituancy?? Who is in the running? Check your Council and those up and down the Country!

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Labour would be a wasted vote in my constituency, lib-dems have the only chance to win over conservative, and as I said previously the candidate has been a fantastic hard working MP for us in the past.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
TrueBrit:

The party with the most principled members...

Where was Gordon Brown's principles while he stood behind the queen as she signed over our sovereignty to the EU? Where were Blair's principles when he ignored a million people who marched against a war in Iraq and took us into it under false and illegal circumstances? If you consider Labour to be principled, you need to look up the meaning of 'principle' for a reality check.

Your problem is your narrow mindset. You see through only one lens, and that is the lens of the so-called down-trodden. It's all the government's fault, and the so-called down-trodden have not got a chance to improve their own circumstances! There are many things I don't agree with the government, but I utterly loathe corporatism, I hate it with a passion, and for me Brexit was the first step to stick it back at them, along with many other reasons I voted out of the EU. Corporatism is global, but with Brexit the people have managed to alter the political landscape in their favour. It is only a slight alteration, but it has been achieved.

Labour will get annihilated at the next General Election, they will lose seats, not gain any. They will lose because they have turned into a 'fringe' party. They are no longer credible. Corbyn will open our borders to all immigrants, where instead we should be focussing on quality immigrants not low-quality who are unskilled, can't speak our language, are uneducated, and bring with them incompatible mindset and culture. We have 2 to 3 million of our own low-skilled workers in this country who we can train up and get back into work, but for all your socialistic spouting, going off your compass you don't want that.

Why you cannot recognise that the time is not right for establishing the society you want is beyond me. I have always taken you for an erudite and intelligent fellow, but you are not showing it here.

Mindset is everything, and currently it is against what you and I would like to see established, and will be so for many years. To beat corporatism you have to be strong, capable of independence, and you need the critical mass of the same mindset. At the election you will see just how far away from critical mass Labour have become.

I want a strong Britain, an independent Britain, one that has thrown off the shackles of the EU. If we control our borders, business and industry will have to look to our own people for workers, where they should always be looking in the first place. If Labour got in, they would sell us out to the EU, which they did in the first place.

posted on Apr, 19 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   

That may be true, but the Lib Dems have already made it clear that they would get into bed with the Tories again, despite the fact that this makes a vote for them a wasted vote, since the whole idea is to keep the dirty, scheming blue bastards out of government, not join them in it.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join