It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force monitoring increased Iodine-131 in Europe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

"Dirty bombs" don't produce I131

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Kola?

That could mean, though not necessarily so, one of those subs that've been sitting for years...is leaking?

As far away as Spain, this can't be good. All over western Europe which means it's at least as widespread eastwards, too.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

It is used for medical purposes.

One of the easier ways to obtain radioactive materials for a dirt bomb is from medical facilities...

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Explain, please?

...and remember, small words, for those of us (me) that lack anything remotely resembling expertise in these matters.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Maybe someone set off a weapon and we decided not to say anything about it.

China had that happen a long time back, they didn't say anything about it and neither did anyone else. All you heard about it was a blurb about I131 being detected.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Just pulled into work. Will comment more if I get a chance otherwise tomorrow night when I get up.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Coolio!!

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Or maybe just...
Iodine131 - It is associated with nuclear energy, medical diagnostic and treatment procedures, and natural gas production
en.wikipedia.org...
and...
The Shtokman field (also Stockman field), one of the world's largest natural gas fields, lies in the northwestern part of the South Barents Basin in the Russian sector of the Barents Sea, 600 kilometres (370 mi) north of Kola Peninsula. Its reserves are estimated at 3.8 trillion cubic metres (130 trillion cubic feet) of natural gas and more than 37 million tons of gas condensate
en.wikipedia.org...
Or maybe just aliens farting....

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Bedlam knows his stuff.

Back in 96 forsmark detected this.

And that turned out to be Chernobyl.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
The Nuclear Regulatory Commision even specifically mentions 131
On their "dirty bombs" page.

www.nrc.gov...

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Oh, I know.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
The Nuclear Regulatory Commision even specifically mentions 131
On their "dirty bombs" page.

www.nrc.gov...

from your linked site:

Since the use or release of radioactive iodine from an RDD is highly unlikely, KI pills would not be useful.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: choos

Did you miss this part where they talk about treatment?

Why would they bother to mention treatment for 131 if there was absolutely no possibility of exposure due to a dirty bomb?

There are some medical treatments available that help cleanse the body of certain radioactive materials following a radiological accident. Prussian blue has been proven effective for ingestion of cesium-137 (a radioactive isotope). In addition, potassium iodide (KI) can be used to protect against thyroid cancer caused by iodine-131 (radioactive iodine). However, KI, which is available “over the counter” offers no protection to other parts of the body or against other radioactive isotopes. Medical professionals are best qualified to determine how to best treat symptoms.

edit on 19-2-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
So whats the chances of this coming from Fukushima? Considering they just located the melted fuel perhaps they inadvertently released something?

Or, Chernobyl has recently had the new sarcophagus rolled into place, could this new airtight containment have (again) inadvertently caused radiation to leak some other way prompting higher readings?

... just pondering

hell, perhaps ISIS are really in ''insane'' mode have tested a micro nuke and now plan to drop a couple somewhere? Would worldwide monitors detect a minor nuclear explosion in the middle of a mountainous area?

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

And of course younselectivley edited out the preceding sentence that puts your sentence into context.

. KI should only be taken in a radiation emergency that involves the release of radioactive iodine.

So there is a chance 131 could be used in a dirty bomb and iodine tablets should only be taken when 131 has been confirmed.
edit on 19-2-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

And of course younselectivley edited out the preceding sentence that puts your sentence into context.

. KI should only be taken in a radiation emergency that involves the release of radioactive iodine.

So there is a chance 131 could be used in a dirty bomb and iodine tablets should only be taken when 131 has been confirmed.

theres a reason i didnt post that.. because the quote i did post makes it redundant..

the treatment is only used where radioactive iodine is involved.. but they clearly mention that the use and even release of radioactive iodine is highly unlikely for dirty bombs
edit on 19-2-2017 by choos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards personally. If they went over to monitor this, and it would be a hell of a coincidence that an aircraft happened to go to an area seeing increased radiation levels on an unrelated mission, then it's an ongoing release. They went that way over the weekend it looks like, so there's still something there releasing the I131.

posted on Feb, 19 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
What's the wind pattern like in that area of the world?

Might give some insight.

posted on Feb, 20 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Let me guess another crapy russian sub has broke.....
edit on 20-2-2017 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join