It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone here own a jeep, or has done ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Currently have a restored 85 CJ7 Jeep Renegade.
Also had a liberty - flipped it: rolled twice,
A Des back on its wheels. The bead on the passenger front tire came off and blew the rubber loose. We changed the tire and drove home.
Also there was a period when I would just rent vehicles for months at a time. I would usually get a jeep or a Dodge Charger.
Love my current jeep.
The newer jeeps aren't so much maintenance as compared to my 85. You can count on something needing to be worked on every month or two with my 85.
But hthry are so easy to work on due to their complete simplicity.

Get a jeep

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: Boadicea

The firebird is that an old one ? Im betting it is somewhat of a beast i would love to drive one.

I think it's an '00 or '01 -- no comparison to the Firebird of the '70s! That was a real muscle car
Never owned one or drove one though... I did have a '71 Camaro, and that was a blast to drive! So I'm betting the Firebird was too.

She bought hers not long after we bought an '00 Monte Carlo. They're fairly similar to drive, but I liked my Monte much better! Much better response. And I liked my seat more too. It kind of hugged the driver and I liked that.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Ive had a jeep wrangler for two years. Its awesome. Only thing i might like better is a particular restored classic truck that runs 80 grand. Rather out of my price range haha.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Do you want everyone to think you are easy to take advantage of? ........ if so... buy a jeep.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   
There was a Jeep advertisement on this site for a while and it was the most horrendous thing ever to the point it induced severe anxiety and rage that many of us swore to never ever buy a Jeep even if our lives depended on it.

I'd go with another manufacturer simply due to their aggressive advertising.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies

The more i learn about jeeps one thing is for sure, people that drive them love them and that's a pretty positive sign.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Enough said.

Jeeps are nothing more than a polished turd.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

Have you ever owned or driven one, or you just dont like them ?

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

That certainly gives the jeep ad a whole new perspective

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   
My wife owns a Jeep Patriot, it's a pile of crap but then again I live 8,000 feet up the mountains and it sucks for our snowy weather. I'm buying a Sport Wrangler and she will be getting a Range Rover within this year.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Here in Australia they have the WORST reputation.

They are known for looking nice and the Cherokee driving nicely - when it works. That bloke destroyed his because he's had enough of it - it spent more time at the dealership than being driven and Chrysler refused to replace the car.

When they break (and they all do) the backup service is appalling. Even a motoring column who was given one for a long term (6 month) test suffered catastrophic failures in their's. I'm talking things like being at highway speed and the thing just shutting down, refusing to start, instrumentation blacking out mid drive etc etc.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 03:58 AM
link   

I have heard these things and yeah, hence the thread.

Holden and ford both have similar stories to what old mate had in the vid so it is not like crappy treatment from dealerships is specifically a chrysler problem. Still food for thought

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   

70's Holdens are awesome.....

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapTheGinkels

Indeed, one of my favorites

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Why not look at the Colorado 7 or the Ford Everest then? The Everest is a classy option and was designed here in OZ.

I avoided Jeep when I purchased in 2014 and went for a tiny Korean brand. It's been the best thing ever - 50,000 km, so far and not the slightest hint of trouble.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 04:37 AM
link   

I haven't really been all that happy with the holden purchases i have made in the past, and have never really considered ford.

I will go and test drive them for #s and giggles however i suspect i will be buying something different.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
I want to buy a new car and i have been looking at jeeps,the grand Cherokee in particular, mainly because its a great price compared to say a toyota, but toyotas are super reliable and i have heard the jeep is not so much.

I have heard well of Toyota, and have had nothing but excellent service from my Jeeps.
I just drove off a ten story building and dropped straight down until the ground broke our fall.
We were in my '92 Wrangler ragtop.
My son was with me.
No airbags or that sort of happy crappy, but we were both wearing our seat belts!
Totalled the Jeep!!
Really smushed it!
Busted a bunch of my ribs and a vertebra, but in about two months, back up and running!
Me, not the Jeep.
The reality of that 100 foot fall, was that it was off a mountain, and we bone jarringly plummeted through trees, watching the windshield 3D tree coming at you movie, until one stopped us.
That was one solid built vehicle! It took a lickin' instead of us!
Good design!
Now, son bought me an '01 Cherokee Classic and we can be warm driving in the winter!
Such a sweet ride, dependable!
I'd recommend Jeep to anyone.
The new Jeep pickups look interesting, but the SUVs have always been at the front of every true Murrican's Xmas list! *__-

I have spoken to a few jeep owners here and they love them, its when i read up about them it paints a different picture, and that could simply be media protecting the local car market.

Now you 'read up' this one! *__-
No matter the car, if the driver is not being mindful, every moment...

Oh, I hit some black ice that morning I was comin' round the mountain...

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: WUNK22
Maybe a vehicle made in the stats would be top notch, mine was made in Mexico. I've had bad ford experience also, they rust out like no other car on the road. I've had 3 97 to 05 explorers and all had bad frame rot. Im in the northeast, loads of winter salt.a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

A buddy of mine at work is looking at the new F-150. Aluminum ... no rust.

Yeah, but wait until you get a dent in that thing. I've got a couple buddies who are autobody guys and they tell me all kinds of stories about how aluminum can't be fixed like steel can (it stretches, unlike steel). BTW, I'm a Ford truck owner (F250 turbo diesel, F150 also) and I'm very leery of the direction Ford is taking with the aluminum thing. I love my current truck(s), and don't want them to change, but I believe they will before I get ready to replace these.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

My sister owns a Jeep Liberty. We live in New England, and her job requires her to be on the highway at all hours of the night. She just told me yesterday, she could never go back to a car again. They handle snow and ice like a boss. She has had some electrical problems with the windows, radio, but has learned to live with that.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I've been a long time Jeep guy. In fact, this is the first time I haven't owned one in quite a while. Just love 'em.

We bought a new car recently to replace my Accord commuter (with 376,000 miles on it...and never spent a day in the shop). Loved the car, but we live way out in the country and I needed 4x4 or AWD. I did a lot of research. Jeep (in general) took a really bad beating in the reviews. (and I mean really bad too!) Pretty much across the board the reviews were thumbs down and 1-2 star reviews. Noise, mileage, quality and reliability seemed to be a universal constant across all the reviews.

I wound up going with a '16 Subaru Outback. Never owned a Subaru before and I have to say...I'm STUNNED at how good this car is!! It will go places my F250 turbo diesel won't even go, and that's no lie either! It actually has more interior room than the Renegade, Wrangler and the Cherokee. It's quiet, solid, problem free (so far, at 45,000 miles...yes, I drive a lot, 140+ miles per day). The fuel economy is excellent (28+ mpg)...and that damn thing will go anywhere!

Subaru's seem to attract a fairly liberal type client, so they kind of have that identity, and this kept me away for a number of years. However, when I researched and test drove everything else in the class the Subaru just blew everything else in class away, hands down! Plus, the price point is comparable (and possibly even less depending on equipment) than the Jeeps. So, needless to say, I got over the identity thing real quick, and will now be the first person to stand up and say I drive a Subaru (and damn proud of it too!). The choice was pretty much a no-brainer for me.

Oh, and another thing; I'm a big guy 6'4" 260lbs and the Subie has more comfort room inside it than anything else too. The layout is really well designed, nothing fancy, just pure function (which I really appreciate).

If you're looking for something to put a 6" lift on and do some hardcore four wheelin', stick with the Jeep, but otherwise I'd strongly recommend giving the Subaru a look. It's my first Subie and I can honestly say it spun my head around.

On a side note; we bought the wife an Audi A-8 back in '14. I call it the "supercar", but historically I've been a Ford, Honda and Jeep man. This frustrates the crap out of her dad who is a retired career GM man (and we could get the big employee discounts too...he about had a cow when we bought her the Audi). Right now we've got (2) Ford trucks, the Audi and the Subaru...oh, and a GMC Suburban (which is absolute crap/money pit so it just sits). The reason for noting this is, what car would you guess the wife is opining for now? You guessed it, an Outback just like the one I bought.

Take a look. And NO, I do not have any affiliation whatsoever with Subaru!

edit on 2/11/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join