It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone here own a jeep, or has done ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I want to buy a new car and i have been looking at jeeps,the grand Cherokee in particular, mainly because its a great price compared to say a toyota, but toyotas are super reliable and i have heard the jeep is not so much.

I was hoping to get some feedback. I see them everywhere, they are quite popular.

I have spoken to a few jeep owners here and they love them, its when i read up about them it paints a different picture, and that could simply be media protecting the local car market.

Any input would be welcome .

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I've never owned a jeep, but every friend of mine that has ends up working on them.
Not saying they don't have a cool factor, though I mean more along the Wrangler line. Cherokees can be cool, but I usually only like them after they've been modified.

I just bought the wife a Subaru. They're everywhere too, and nothing special, but I like it. It's a manual transmission and all wheel drive. That's all I really wanted.

No matter what you get, I think all of four wheel drive is a must.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   
When Mercedes owned Chrysler they make some real junk, paint issues, drivetrain problems, 125000 and get out of it. Toyota has a stellar reputation 300000miles plus is common. My 2007 Toyota mini van had 230000 when I was rear ended by a BMW doing 50mph. Van was destroyed but I survived, I'm sold. Let me touch on the buy American thing, I bought a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel, what a P.O.S. paid $50,000. I wanted to support the American worker, day I picked it up I looked on the door and there it was 'Made in Mexico'! Now I buy the most reliable vehicle, American auto manufacturers don't care about American workers it seems.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

Subaru's are nice, i really want a larger car, i drive a landcruiser now and i need something that i can stretch out in, im fairly tall and my back is stuffed, i find stepping up into the vehicle helps keep me pain free.

The Cherokee is less than half the price of a landcruiser and looks better

Cheers

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Let me touch on the buy American thing, I bought a 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel, what a P.O.S. paid $50,000. I wanted to support the American worker, day I picked it up I looked on the door and there it was 'Made in Mexico'! Now I buy the most reliable vehicle, American auto manufacturers don't care about American workers it seems.

Thats a shame, one would think a vehicle made in the states would be top notch.

I agree with you about toyota's, they are bullet proof, fantastic reliable vehicle just very expensive, i guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the input

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I used to think jeeps were crap, but I have a wrangler for a work vehicle and that little bastard will cut through anything in 4wd. Think I might buy it at auction when it ends up being surplused.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

I used to think jeeps were crap, but I have a wrangler for a work vehicle and that little bastard will cut through anything in 4wd. Think I might buy it at auction when it ends up being surplused.

The last guy i spoke to had a wrangler and he said it was great, he drove round Australia in it and loved, had no issues at all.

Cheers

Cheers

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I love my Liberty... and I loved my Cherokee back in the '90s/early otts -- but it wasn't a Grand Cherokee. And my niece laughs because when I visit, I'd rather drive her Wrangler than her mother's Firebird or Benz. We just replaced the transmission in the Liberty at almost 100,000 miles, but that's the only problem I've had with it. We've talked about getting a new vehicle, but I don't want to give up my Liberty! Even for a new one!!! It's a lot of fun to drive. Not as fun as the Wrangler, but I still love it.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
A Colonel I worked for has had one (Grand Cherokee) in his garage for as long as I can remember. I'd have to guess he's on his fourth now. Never heard him complain. That's Hope-Not-Fear.

Ready for the bad news? Every time you have to get in it you'll be reminded of Elizabeth Warren. LOL

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Maybe a vehicle made in the stats would be top notch, mine was made in Mexico. I've had bad ford experience also, they rust out like no other car on the road. I've had 3 97 to 05 explorers and all had bad frame rot. Im in the northeast, loads of winter salt.a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
Maybe a vehicle made in the stats would be top notch, mine was made in Mexico. I've had bad ford experience also, they rust out like no other car on the road. I've had 3 97 to 05 explorers and all had bad frame rot. Im in the northeast, loads of winter salt.a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

A buddy of mine at work is looking at the new F-150. Aluminum ... no rust.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

The firebird is that an old one ? Im betting it is somewhat of a beast i would love to drive one.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Good to know, i had to look Elizabeth warren up, im not all that familiar with American politics, other than the Trump show of course

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Yeah fords are pretty average here as well, i put them in the same category as holdens, my mechanic says he puts his kids through private school because of ford and holden, to him either honda or toyota are the way to go .

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I've owned a Jeep for all but 1 year of adult life. I sold my CJ 5 for a Harley Fatboy. Dumb move!! I have an 06 Unlimited Rubicon now (bought it in 08), and I love it. I hate driving my new GMC truck, I would alway rather be in my Jeep!
Go for real Jeep. Go for the real deal! It needs a drop top, in-line 6, a lift, and roll bars.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
My Toyota experience:

I've owned a Highlander (passed down to son), a Sienna (passed down to daughter) and a Tundra.

The Sienna was the best driving and most versatile of the three. As long as you're on a road, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a vehicle that outperforms it. You might find something that goes faster and a truck might haul more, but the all around versatility of a van with double sliding side doors, seats that fold flat, and that flat-out ingenuity that goes into Toyota ...

The Tundra is one-helluva truck. Gas guzzler. Doesn't turn like the Sienna. ETA: Changing the oil requires a degree in mechanical engineering now ... and a lift. Everything else about it is bad-ass.

My 2¢

Good luck!!

edit on 1122017 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I've owned several Jeeps and LOVE them.. My last, a Grand Cherokee, is parked for now as I blew the engine after 320 thousand miles..

I picked up a Chevy Z71 and while it's a nice vehicle, I can not wait until I get the Jeep rebuilt..

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Own a Cherokee sport and I love it my biggest gripe is it is a bit of a gas guzzler.

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

They do love their fuel...

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Frame is made of steel on new f-150's according to fords website, im also talking a few years ago.a reply to: Snarl

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join