It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgetown Islamic Studies Professor: Slavery OK, So is Non-Consensual Sex

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

a voice of reason- what a relieve !

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   
These teachings or Women's rights.

If that's a tough choice then you're on the wrong side of history.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This appears to be a critique by a Muslim of what was said by Jonathan Brown:
Georgetown Professor Jonathan Brown Defends Slavery as Moral and Rape as Normal in Virginia Lecture

I left this lecture deeply troubled this man had been given a platform to defend slavery and rape. I also left knowing that a Catholic Priest at Georgetown would be fired immediately if he defended the brutality of Catholic-led slavery in Latin America or defended rape. The same would be true of a rabbi at Yeshiva University. So, why as Muslims should we tolerate and invite someone like Brown to speak and why is Brown hideously exploiting Georgetown’s commitment to be inclusive?

Doesn't seem like his opinions are universally shared, anyway.

Does this breach the boundaries of civility, that his speech might invoke the wrath of the college?
The college wasn't where this happened, so perhaps not...
edit on 9Sun, 12 Feb 2017 09:57:26 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago2 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: seeker1963

I guess he forgot that we are in the US while is ok to rape, murder, kill women while marrying littler girls in his country here in the US he can try to do that and he will go to jail and depending the state he will be at the time of the crime he can even get the death penalty. Or perhaps now that we see that none American citizens have rights under their right to religion they are above the law to exercise all parts of perversion associated with it.

What joke, who hired this type of crap for the education of the young in our nation, religion of peace my big latino butt.

'His country' would be the United States of America. He was born in Washington D.C..
edit on 10Sun, 12 Feb 2017 10:08:59 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago2 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
a reply to: Grambler

If he wants to go through his holy book and use white-out on the portions of that book that are in contradiction to US culture, he's welcome to do so. Just like the Christians use white-out on the portions that have become out of fashion.

Use of force on another person to extract sex or labor is just wrong, no matter whose holy man says it's okay. People who don't stand up to those holy men and say "No more." are part of the problem.

I don't know if this dude was simply expressing the way it is in that religion, or was advocating. I couldn't tell from the link. I suspect he was just seeking publicity.

You sir, can't know the Bible then if you believe that. The New Testament IS the Bible to Christians. The Old Testament is for Hebrews and to teach the rest of us that EVEN GOD's chosen could not follow the 10 commandments. The old one teaches that even witnesses to his power were human and made huge mistakes.The new one teaches love and acceptance of us with all our faults. Plain and simple the Bible teaches love.

Therefore, IMHO it is FORGIVENESS by God that is now the story. By accepting that God is the one true God and believing in his son, the LAMB of God who was sent to die for our stupid mistakes, you are saved. You are saved by exactly how much you love and forgive those who sin against you. For the amount of love and forgiveness, you will receive the same. Says so if you read it carefully in the "Lord's Prayer" that Christians learn as children.

That is what the Bible teaches. Your welcome...
edit on 12-2-2017 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: glowdog

Voice of reason?

More like the voice of taqiya.

The foundational core of Islam is the Quran and the belief that it is the divine and infallible word of Allah, perfect in every way.

If you don't believe the Quran is perfect and infallible, you are not a Muslim. You are an apostate who must be killed.
edit on 12-2-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

What a sad little hate filled individual!

I wonder if this so called Professor would still profess and hold with the same hate filled diabolical notions should he ever be raped or forced in to being someones sex slave?

Toss him in a gaol beast wing for a month or two and lets see if he is still preaching the same bull crap afterwards?
edit on 12-2-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
So I guess he has no problem if it was him that was put into slavery. If we were going down that path I do not think some little college professor has a chance for survival of the fittest....

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

I guess he forgot that we are in the US while is ok to rape, murder, kill women while marrying littler girls in his country here in the US he can try to do that and he will go to jail and depending the state he will be at the time of the crime he can even get the death penalty. Or perhaps now that we see that none American citizens have rights under their right to religion they are above the law to exercise all parts of perversion associated with it.

What joke, who hired this type of crap for the education of the young in our nation, religion of peace my big latino butt.

If a large migrant population becomes established in some area, and creates no go ghettos without any policing and their own private sharia courts, as is said happens in europe. Even here within the states they'll be able to do as they please, there will be no us law within their domains.

There's a reason we need to keep immigration in check, and immigrants need to be assimilated to our culture. The idea of bringing hundreds of thousands or millions of unvetted immigrants will only result in the creation of lawless no go ghettos wherein US law does not hold, this is what those in favor of mass unvetted immigration do not realize.
edit on 12-2-2017 by Xenogears because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

What a sad little hate filled individual!

I assume you are talking about the author of the Blog Post who created Click Bait at the expense of attacking a scholar?

The professor gave a historical lecture about Islam and Slavery in the context of other cultures and religions that endorsed slavery at the time.

He spoke as to how the Islamic Faith was used to justify it...He did not endorse it.

To the contrary..

"Islam as a faith and I as a person condemn slavery, rape and concubinage." Was his response to this blogger article on twitter..

When someone asks how the Bible was used to Justify slavery in the West and a scholar answers, it does not mean they endorse it. It is an academic answer..

And he is a Professor at a CATHOLIC University for effs sake...Use some critical thinking skills..

This BS blog post sells to the right wing because it's FAKE NEWS headline feeds the College education is BAD! Professors are evil Liberals narrative..

His actual talk contradicts the spin..

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Well if it turns out to be fake news, then its fake news.

But i stand behind what i said, anyone that promotes non-consensual sex, rape or slavery no matter the particular brand of organised religious twaddle they choose to hide behind is a wrong'yin.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
These lessons are against Western values, enough said.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

I'm well aware of the contents of the New Testament and that it is the basis of Christianity. Are you aware of the words of the New Testament in regards to the wearing of gold and braiding of hair by women? How about women cutting their hair? Covering their heads? I could go on...divorce...there's a good one....
From the time I was old enough to read, I've been asking Christians, beginning with my own dear mother, about the prohibition on women wearing gold adornments, braiding their hair and cutting their hair. The only Christian sect that I'm aware of actually following those prohibitions are the Amish. The rest have used the white-out method.

Yes, I am aware that Jesus preached love and forgiveness. But the book on which you base your Christianity contains lots of prohibitions that he never uttered and yet Christians call it all holy scripture.

Yes, I like that part of the Bible that talks about treating people the way I want to be treated. I do my very best to practice that. But I'm seriously doubtful that God cares one whit about my hair style.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Okay... I'm a little late to the party but let me just say... I am listening to the actual lecture right now. And if you think this prof. is trying to say that slavery is ok then you are MISSING THE ENTIRE POINT of the lecture.

Dr.Brown is pointing out the gray area between slavery and freedom. There is no way to define what a slave really is without applying your own specific cultural bias. There is alot of history here, and a lot of him explaining how people take it out of context in this EXACT manor.

This is an utterly shamefully ignorant thread. If you have the time, listen to the real lecture. The article you've posted is COMPLETELY WRONG.

WTF ATS!??

edit on 12-2-2017 by Attentionwandered because: because jeez!

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Appreciate you pointing this out.

Yeah it should be known that for many years the Muslim Brotherhood have been introducing themselves into america schooling system. This is their long game, aside their short game tactics of terrorism. The idea is to make young minds so desensitised and 'to see it in their eyes' view that makes young people take to the streets protesting something they know nothing about.

Worrying most schools now deem young minds to totally accept these ways, as being open to the world as though it should be accepted because its someone else's way of living. The madness.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I agree with you. If you have half a brain and here the lecture it's very clear that there is a 180 spin on op's article.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

This is NO LONGER in the Mud Pit!!!

The Mud Pis is only for Political topics.

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

You are responsible for your own posts.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963
Okay folks, I have made several comments on ATS as to the indoctrination of our college students in America, and this professor and his ideology is the crux of what our young minds whom we have seen protesting in the streets, calling people fascists, destroying property, assaulting people who they THINK are NAZI's, (and those of you whom are adult enough to support these baseless accusations) is the catalyst of what we are witnessing in our country!

A professor at Georgetown University is teaching his students that men do not need consent to have sex with women, and that slavery is justifiable under Islamic teachings.

Islamic Studies professor Jonathan Brown recently lectured at the International Institute of Islamic Thought, where he shared his alarming beliefs with students in attendance in his lecture, “Islam and the Problem of Slavery.” Freelance writer Umar Lee expressed his shock over the 90-minute lecture, which included explicit endorsements of rape and slavery.

Georgetown Islamic Studies Professor: Slavery OK, So is Non-Consensual Sex

So parents? Be careful what college you send your children to! These are the monsters whom have been embedded in our colleges whom are responsible for what we are seeing in this country TODAY!

What does the future hold for our country if professors like this our allowed to brain wash young minds being indoctrinated in our institutions of higher learning, being backed by Federal loans and funding?

So will we see the 3rd wave Feminists protesting outside Georgetown University tomorrow, or will we still see them protesting Trump because he mention women who were so hung up on wealthy men they would let him grab their hoohaw?
I haven't read the thread yet but I'm betting it's fake since the source is garbage.

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 13 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackProject

Appreciate you pointing this out.

Yeah it should be known that for many years the Muslim Brotherhood have been introducing themselves into america schooling system. This is their long game, aside their short game tactics of terrorism. The idea is to make young minds so desensitised and 'to see it in their eyes' view that makes young people take to the streets protesting something they know nothing about.

Worrying most schools now deem young minds to totally accept these ways, as being open to the world as though it should be accepted because its someone else's way of living. The madness.

What?!?!

The whole "sharia law is comming to America" is so stupid it's past silly..

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join