It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Shot at Memorial For Victim of Chicago Gun Violence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Having myself been part of the many gun control debates here at ATS, I can concur that sometimes it is a hard thing to converse over. Regulating firearms is a no no. However, putting harsher laws on those that would break those laws is something rarely brought up. More laws, no.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Martial law is a tough one here.. Especially when there are a lot of kids that haven't even hit puberty yet are carrying and shooting each other. Its a really sad situation there when your brothers, cousins and fathers are all shooting and dying. And some cases even sisters and mothers.

That's really sad. And quite difficult for my non American brain to process. I grew up with guns in our home (my Dad was a dairy farmer) We used the guns for..... shooting rabbits, ducks and the odd cow for the freezer.

But kids getting hold of them? WTF? How irresponsible are some people?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

Chicago has been under Democrat control for 84 years... maybe it's time for new management?

Long past the time for a change there.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: In4ormant

That's probably the most ignorant post I've ever read. Obviously you weren't born into poverty to understand that these people can't escape and just move out.. You realize the average age of death from gun violence is around 17years old?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
a reply to: seasonal

I'm actually more curious to see what Rahm has to say about this.

White privilege is the cause and they need to make guns illegal.

Yep that will probably cover it.

Sad situation especially with kids involved

edit on 02131America/ChicagoThu, 26 Jan 2017 20:02:53 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Regulating firearms is a no no. However, putting harsher laws on those that would break those laws is something rarely brought up. More laws, no.

So, what would your solution be?

How do we keep guns out of the hands of minors? Are illicit drugs part of the issue here?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

I lived there for 12 years so I'm pretty familiar with the situation. You can be poor anywhere. If you cared about your kids you would have them living out of a van in a safer place than Chicago if need be.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Do you even know how this mess started?

Well for starters the crack epidemic in the 70's = all the generations since are crack babies. Do you have any idea what its like to live in a broken down drug infested neighborhood?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

If we don't have the laws on the books that it isn't OK to shoot other people I would be surprised. And is the penalty 2 months?

Can you elaborate please?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

12 years in what neighborhood? Probably some suburban area I'm guessing .. Because if you were from the "hood" you wouldn't be so ignorant on the topic

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Rahnm and Obama what a team they have made over the last 8 years,

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

They aren't all crack babies. That's idiotic. And again, if you wanted to be somewhere else you could be.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

5 years at 122nd and 7 years on the south side by Halstead. I lived 6 miles from Cabrini green, so yeah, I'm familiar mate

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

Regulating firearms is a no no. However, putting harsher laws on those that would break those laws is something rarely brought up. More laws, no.

So, what would your solution be?

How do we keep guns out of the hands of minors? Are illicit drugs part of the issue here?

I wish I had one, could be quite lucrative!!

In seriousness though, education. Guns in America are seen as toys and things of Hollywood.

Culture. Since my own young days, urban youth has heralded and glorified the gangster culture. For them it's almost a right of passage. The destruction left in the wake is rarely seen nor blame accepted for the actions they have done. If the do, it is generally too late.

Systemic incarceration. Once your in the system, it is tough to get out of. Urban kids that may veer off the tracks find themselves stuck in this loop that they can not escape without literally escaping the neighborhoods and given a fair shot....no pun intended.

I've seen this happen with my own eyes and had to fight my own way out of the system. I was stupid. Knowledge was sparse.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Good points, well thought out post, thank you.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

You think because you live 6 miles from the hood you are automatically informed? The war zones are barely 6 miles in radius. I promise you never even stepped foot inside. You know even the police don't go in these war zones?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

yes they can!

many of them are still living there because people like you keep telling them they can`t leave,they are stuck there, and they believe it.

they can still get their section 8 housing, food stamps, and welfare checks if they live somewhere else.

all they need is a bus ticket and they can leave whenever they want.

they can pack up their most personal belongings,sell everything else,buy a bus ticket and leave.

when they get to wherever it is that they decide to go they can get set up again with their welfare checks,food stamps and section 8 housing.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

You're right that culture is probably the solution. But that's going to be really difficult and would take generations. Trying to remove all the drugs would be a good start

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

If we don't have the laws on the books that it isn't OK to shoot other people I would be surprised. And is the penalty 2 months?

Can you elaborate please?

www.ispfsb.com...

There is a start. Pretty similar laws here in MI. These are the tougher ones in the country.

As far as repercussions, it is only a misdemeanor.
www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...

It is a class A misdemeanor to possess a weapon without a FOID card, if you are otherwise eligible to obtain a FOID card. Penalties include a fine of up to $2,500, up to one year in jail, or both. A second or subsequent violation of this type is a class 4 felony, which incurs a fine of up to $25,000, at least one year (and up to three years) in prison, or both. (430 Ill. Comp. Stat. § 65/14(b).)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

originally posted by: ausername
a reply to: eluryh22

The usual strategy is to ignore it as much as possible.

Until martial law can casually be rolled out? The writing is on the wall but man, how do you stop it from happening?

Well, as much as I am opposed to martial law, how does one stop everyone from shooting each other?

Clearly the gun control laws did not work.

money.cnn.com...

Given that the USA has this inherent sense of entitlement to gun ownership enabled by the very constitution itself, the only way to stop the guns is with people with..... bigger guns, better training and govt backing.

This isn't a problem with gun control. At all.

This is a problem with Democrats needing to keep a voting base. They need them stupid, they need them dependent on them alone, they need them poor. They need them to feel that they are victims, that they are oppressed. So that more government can be the answer. It's Progressive 1.0. This is the Democratic plantation, V2.0.

Want to stop it? Teach that there are no entitlements. Teach self-respect, self-worth, self-reliance. Get the ball rolling, one person at a time.

Of course, to do that you would have to pry Democratic politicians off of the corpses of these poor people.

Wish you luck on that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join