It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May sets out her Brexit plan today.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

We can both build fences, and have no-mans land in between, like walking between Thailand and Malaysia, army base either side lol

Get into fence erecting is my advice, or border force, it'll be a jobs bonanza!

*edit*
My outlook in life is my blood type...B positive
edit on 17.1.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The beauty of Brexit, whether you are for or against, is that M.P's will become accountable again and not hide behind E.U legislation.

If anything, that's probably the biggest reason many M.P's are against it.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

We can both build fences, and have no-mans land in between, like walking between Thailand and Malaysia, army base either side lol

Get into fence erecting is my advice, or border force, it'll be a jobs bonanza!

*edit*
My outlook in life is my blood type...B positive

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Where the # do you think I'll be getting my whisky from?!!

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
On topic, Corbyn seemed to me to have positive sympathies today, I reckon he wants the same and is walking a tightrope bull#ting Labour voters.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
What parlous state of the Scottish econmy are we talking about.?

Don't worry, the over-generous Barnett Formula guarantees Scotland get more than the English will keep the wolf from the door.

The gap between Scotland’s public spending and tax revenues has widened, with the crash in global oil prices leading to a deficit of nearly £15bn.

Guardian article, but widely reported elsewhere
Scottish economy review

You can bet your bottom dollar if this happens Scotland will hold a second referendum...and vote yes convincingly.

Well, let's see shall we? I'm ambivalent about Scottish independence now, since being the target of racist abuse last time I visited Scotland, but the current polls beg to differ. Indyref2 is now a perpetual threat made to make nationalist politicians to make it look like they have influence, and to satiate the nationalists.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli
She was spot on 👍
Scots just want a free ride 👍
Let's stop ALL migrants 👍
If Europe plays hard ball charge everyone £1000 tax to holiday in Europe and no tax to Canada , USA and oz 👍

U.K. Has got its balls back 👍

....I see. So you want the farmers of Great Britain to lose all the migrant workers they depend on?
This is going to wreck UK politics as we know it for the next decade at least. Possibly more if the Labour Party does indeed wreck itself on its own internal divisions.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Yeah controlled needed immigration is different to stopping immigration.
The UK always allowed fruit pickers and the like under special schemes prior to the EU, that will continue obviously.
The UK needs migrant workers and nobody is calling for immigration to stop, just be controlled for obvious planning reasons.

No different to builders working in Germany prior to the EU in the 80's, NEED the workers, dish out a visa, same as we do for the rest of the world outside of the EU right now.
WTF is racist or bigoted about creating a level playing field for all countries?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli

Let's stop ALL migrants 👍

Not really helpful as a blanket statement, lets stop the f#cking uneducated and unskilled baby making factory families that have turned many locations into a #e hole, also lets stop every bloody person playing the system using the asylum scheme. A large amount of people that have gained entry into the UK have done so via loop holes, not many have stumped up financial security bonds, full medical and police records, authentic education certificates and a quality job offer from a authentic UK based institution..

Many have just married a cousin or have documents to say they are married and a person that has tied a illegal immigration case up for years in the court of human rights then gets said "wife,Husband" here using loop holes.

I see little reason why we should stop a well educated and funded person from coming here for a job in a key worker position, midwife, Xray tech, medical emergency staff, Oil rig workers, etc.. If the situation was like this the country would have a mainly well skilled workforce not the rubbish we are burdened with.

RA

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Are you seriously suggesting that suddenly we will be turning to slavery, torture and false imprisonment?

Get rid of the Human Rights act and introduce a Bill of Rights for U.K citizens.

Whilst we remain in the E.U we can't even begin to start scrapping the act. I'm sure if there was anything nefarious about the Bill of Rights, there will be repercussions.

No, I was using them as examples of the juxtaposition between what rights the human rights act gives us compared to what the press and many politicians want us to think it contains. I'm just disturbed that any party would want to scrap it, to me it seems obvious that whatever it is replaced with, will be a watered down weaker version as it recieved so much of a bashing from the press and politicians since its inception. As HRA was written by UK judges it seems uneccesary to scrap it regardless of the brexit outcome.

Hopefully I'm wrong but until any actual Bill of Rights is written I'll be highly skeptical and worried about basic rights being scrapped.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

Yep, EU migration of semi skilled builders killed the chances of our youngsters starting at the bottom labouring, and drove wages down.
Anyone who argues differently is either lying or not involved in the building industry.

I support immigration which is beneficial and needed, same as the arrangements we have with the world outside of the EU.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

I will not accept a bill of rights being written by Tories alone, it will have to be cross party, with all citizens in mind.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I will not accept a bill of rights being written by Tories alone, it will have to be cross party, with all citizens in mind.

do what iceland did, and let it be written by citizens, not politicians

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: whismermill

But minus the bit which involves still paying a fortune to be the EU's bitch and paying a # load of money for the privilege.
Trade and visas, same as we have with the rest of the world outside of Europe.

link   
We get more then anyone else in the UK from Barnet because we pay in more per head of population.

Since oil prices have once again risen our deficit is around the 10 billion mark..Compared to the UK as a whole UK deficit.....once again it's our share per head.

If Scotland votes to leave the UK it would be entitled to pay off it's debt and at the same time have it's share of assets built up in the last 300 years...At the last count it was somewhere in the region of £1.3 trillion worth of assets..our share of that would be somewhere in the region of £109 billion..so that would be a clear profit of £99 billion once we pay our share of the UK Deficit...and we get the oil and gas fields in our waters and everything else we trade the tax would ours to keep. Including Grainofsand's Whisky which at the last count was around £1 billion per year.

We'll be just fine mate. As i have said before, London Is the thief and sponger in this game.
edit on 17-1-2017 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

link   

Are you seriously suggesting that suddenly we will be turning to slavery, torture and false imprisonment?

Get rid of the Human Rights act and introduce a Bill of Rights for U.K citizens.

Whilst we remain in the E.U we can't even begin to start scrapping the act. I'm sure if there was anything nefarious about the Bill of Rights, there will be repercussions.

I'm optimistic, we can do a lot better I know it.

I voted to leave, I have always been pro EU in terms of rights.

That being said, the European block will want to work with us. It benefits them. A good portion of the common person's wage alone goes to the EU, it's well known that the British have a little Britain abroad for a week or two a year and that alone is a huge cash crop.

I keep asking myself if I was narcissistic voting out of the EU, I keep telling myself we have amazing people in these lands too and given half a chance we'll build something great. As Frank Turner said in a song - We can get better, because we're not dead yet.

Our future will be troubling, no doubt. But the light shines brightest when it was once dark. Gotta be optimistic, heck I asked for this future

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I don't drink that much!

But with any hard border I shall be buying the excise duty free stuff, for sure.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: slider1982

Yep, EU migration of semi skilled builders killed the chances of our youngsters starting at the bottom labouring, and drove wages down.
Anyone who argues differently is either lying or not involved in the building industry.

I support immigration which is beneficial and needed, same as the arrangements we have with the world outside of the EU.

Semi skilled for sure, but there is a massive skills shortage in Construction and we cannot address this problem in the immediate. We need to be encouraging more young people into the industry, but it doesn't solve our current problem.

We've lost many of our best tradesmen to the likes of Australia and Canada because they are first in the queue when it comes to immigration to those countries. Just when the E.U welcomed the Eastern European countries into the Union, it coincided with a boom in Construction and we needed the skilled labour. We still will after Brexit, but at least we can limit it, without being in breach of some E.U agreement or other.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: whismermill

do what iceland did, and let it be written by citizens, not politicians

Even better.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

We are in agreement, of course the UK needs immigration which benefits the UK, same as Oz and Canada etc pick who they need.
Tens of thousands of Hungarian or Romanian labourers not so much, but if Britain actually needs them then I'll welcome them with open arms.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join