It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May sets out her Brexit plan today.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
What sort of Jobs do the remainers here have? And how do they think Brexit might affect them?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I doubt very much she would win either the commons on the Lords. Remember, she was a stayer herself along with loads of other Tories. She simply wont have the majority.

But, The Privy Council acting for the Queen can over-rule the House of Lords......
AND At least in theory the Queen can enact statute in and of her own right.
I can not believe that Teresa has embarked on this course without the agreement of the Queen .....

With the Balance of the vote nearly half and half i dont believe Queenie will want to get involved...Her stock is way higher than 52% of the population. No point in upsetting one side or another when the blame is already on her cousins 4-5 times removed in Cameron and Osbourne. No way will Lizzie be het on this one.
edit on 17-1-2017 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

Self employed general building/property maintenance here, won't make a difference to me, buildings always need fixing.

Spoke to a woman next door from the place I was working today and the broken front wall a truck drove into has attracted repair quotes between £900 and £1700, all bricks still there maybe need to buy 5 or 6 new.
It's a days work so I quoted £300 which includes my son labouring for me, got the job.

She didn't want foreign labour so I'll steal the market of pro-Brits every time, and undercut robbing bastard Brits where it is agreeable to me.
Brexit will make no negative difference to my life, not as far as I see things anyway.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Good point, I hadn't thought of it from that slant.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

With the Balance of the vote nearly half anf half

Not directed at you particularly but I get frustrated with people who quote stats in percentages or fractions. Without actual numbers, percentages and fractions don't mean anything. The difference in the Brexit vote was 1,269,501 people. Their votes are just as valid as everyone else's. To dismiss them would be very undemocratic.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Spoke to a woman next door from the place I was working today and the broken front wall a truck drove into has attracted repair quotes between £900 and £1700, all bricks still there maybe need to buy 5 or 6 new. It's a days work so I quoted £300 which includes my son labouring for me, got the job.

Madness.

£300 is good money, people wonder why some work on the fiddle...

Probably because legitimately it's a wall and doesn't demand such a price tag. Funny that.

I know bricklaying, could easily build a wall... £50 quid a day would quote me happy if you buy the materials, that's a £100 extra for not having a piss up on the weekend, being lazy too depending on the wall.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

It's a days work so I quoted £300 which includes my son labouring for me, got the job.

You pay your kid enough he can afford to live on his own?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I undercut like # and people tell their friends, my business has grown organically, never advertised anywhere...just Romanians living 4 to a room and working for £40 a day are competition I won't cry tears for if the UK loses them.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Yes, he could live independently if he wanted but rent free with me is preferable lol, he's still college part time as well but soon qualified as a plumber, have to compete with others for his work then but I'll get mates rates being dad.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
If Parliament vote against the negotiated outcome then it'll be a completely "hard" Brexit. Our elected MPs have to agree the outcome of the Referendum (unless you are a Liberal or a SNP), because that's democratic will. It's hard, but that's the way it is. Therefore, it's a negotiated deal and exit, or just exit.

Theresa May (like her, or not) has today announced the negotiating position we'll start on. You can be sure that this has been gauged as a package that will be acceptable to the EU, so we'll see much of it fly. It's pretty reasonable and clear, so even twats like Juncker and co. will understand it.

Now, on exit the Great Repeal Bill will be enacted as this will annul the 1972 European Communities Act. The impact will be (essentially) a legal severance from the EU. In other words sovereignty would have been regained. The politicians have been keen to stress that EU law would be absorbed into UK law, so things like existing employment and environmental provisions would be absorbed. Clearly, they could then be changed, but from day one they would be part of UK law.

Hope that makes sense.

It'll be a feast day for lawyers. They will be lining up to suck on the teat of the public purse.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I undercut like % and people tell their friends, my business has grown organically, never advertised anywhere...just Romanians living 4 to a room and working for £40 a day are competition I won't cry tears for if the UK loses them.

I fully understand.

I have no orchids or farmers who grow root vegetables around me but if I did and given my circumstances, they'd have at least a seasonal picker out of me in my youth. Money is money and it's better than non simply put.

I'm actually disgusted by the prospect that we need seasonal pickers from eastern Europe, at 16-17 I could have easily been taught and picked for about £3-4 a hour, now I'd demand my £7 odd but that's not the point. Is it?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I worked on farms in school and university holidays. Now I guess working is too good for UK students.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I've never picked any crops, but I would if that was the only show in town.
I've no problem with the old special circumstances agricultural worker visas coming back, Brits are too #ing lazy to do it, we need them and I support their contribution here.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morrad
Not directed at you particularly but I get frustrated with people who quote stats in percentages or fractions. Without actual numbers, percentages and fractions don't mean anything. The difference in the Brexit vote was 1,269,501 people. Their votes are just as valid as everyone else's. To dismiss them would be very undemocratic.

Those 1,269,501 people must be the uneducated idiots he was referring to in

an earlier post

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

But, The Privy Council acting for the Queen can over-rule the House of Lords......
AND At least in theory the Queen can enact statute in and of her own right.
I can not believe that Teresa has embarked on this course without the agreement of the Queen .....

With the Balance of the vote nearly half and half i dont believe Queenie will want to get involved...Her stock is way higher than 52% of the population. No point in upsetting one side or another when the blame is already on her cousins 4-5 times removed in Cameron and Osbourne. No way will Lizzie be het on this one.

In other words, if it gets quashed by The House of Lords, it is effectively dead?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

I worked on farms in school and university holidays. Now I guess working is too good for UK students.

That literally isn't the case at all, not from my view.

You have university under-graduates competing for bar jobs and the like that common, uneducated people are also competing for. Now I can't speak for farms because every farm within a 50+ mile radius only had cattle and/or farms that can only be harvested by machine, the exception is "working farms" that were essentially petting zoos. We've all seen them.

I even know university graduates that have come to accept job's they are overly qualified for, because simply put. Any job is better than no job. Nothing is more soul destroying than a educated and willfully capable person being stuck on the dole, it's degrading for most and the rest can choose not to claim.

If I could channel my inner youth and explain in person how much unused energy I have and could put to brilliant use if only you'd pay me... You'd be gobsmacked.

I've seen people you know, some of these people had it easy and literally could be a bum off mum and dad or society. They quickly learned to make some bread though. Those that didn't have the luxury of a spoon? I literally saw them jobless well into their twenties, maybe a lack of education?

Nah, nothing to do with education I also saw plenty of people do apprenticeships for about £100 a week and working harder than their superiors till they got that ever precious piece of paper. It's funny how the elders put so much faith in the youth and find themselves disappointed because they never got enough teet.

I'm just messing with ya.

But trust me, my nephew would clean my house on £5 a hour. He'd have it done in 5-10 minutes, but he doesn't have much know what I mean? He'd clean it a damn sight quicker too, I'd give him £20 on a job well done in a manner quick and effective but that's just me.

I'm daft like that. Thinking I'd pick apples...

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I reckon the House of Lords is finished if they try to block the Commons on Brexit.

edit on 17.1.2017 by grainofsand because: stupid auto correct

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Nah it's simply a case of accessibility.

We need those workers because it's temporary work, as a gardener I'd say semi-skilled too because it helps a lot if someone has knowledge of just what the hell they are doing.

Nobody in this country can guarantee 300 pickers come autumn, especially for minimum wage and a few weeks of work. Well actually we can, but those agencies are not based on agriculture. Nonetheless it's transport costs and the prospect of guaranteed labor that's effective, literally an access issue, our gears don't turn that way in the grand scheme of things.

But they can.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I reckon the House of Lords is finished if they try to block the Commons on Brexit.

Are they an elected group of representatives? How would they be 'finished''?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

No, unelected, it would be a constitutional crisis in the UK

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join