It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May sets out her Brexit plan today.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
She is also giving the house of commons and the house of lords a vote on the deal, which I'm not happy about.
I'm not too worried about the common's, however the HoL's may well reject the deal as they are not elected or accountable to the public!

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 83Liberty

Can she not invoke the Parliament Act if it is clear in the Commons?
As you say, unelected chamber and all that.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I doubt very much she would win either the commons on the Lords. Remember, she was a stayer herself along with loads of other Tories. She simply wont have the majority.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well, people wanted clarification so that’s what we have got. We can expect the Liberals and the Scottish nationalists to cry about it all, but actually this is pretty much a logical outcome, havig listened to the statements from the EU about e.g. the single market.

On the Scots. Current polls suggest that indyref2 would not be successful, so the divisive nationalists will just snipe from the side-lines. They won’t risk another defeat and quite frankly the nationalists probably don’t want independence anyway, considering parlous state of the Scottish economy and the dependence on trade with the UK. The deals with Eire will satiate the Northern Irish, so that’ll be sorted.

It will be complicated and difficult, but EU member states may end up taking a pragmatic view and working to broker a mutually beneficial deal based on May’s position. The hard-talk from the French, the Belgians, and the Luxembourgers is just unhelpful and annoying, and mostly from unelected bureaucrats steeped in groupthink and denial.

If the EU cuts its nose off to spite its face, then that’s their problem and will hasten the demise of that bloc. I say this with sadness because I am pro EU, but have been disturbed by the selfishness of some of the EU talk of late.

I did not vote to leave the EU, but am satisfied and not wanting to go back now.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
I think so but the deal will probably then get delayed, so Theresa May may just water down the deal to get it passed through the HoL's instead. This is just a guess though.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

She will if every MP votes as their constituencies did last year, but you're right, it's all unknowns with multiple variables.
Interesting times ahead for sure.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

I doubt very much she would win either the commons on the Lords. Remember, she was a stayer herself along with loads of other Tories. She simply wont have the majority.

I would suggest that any M.P voting against their constituency, will probably be looking for another job after the next G.E if that is the case. I think it will get through the Commons, The House of Lords is a different beast though, as they do not have constituents to concern them.
edit on 17/1/17 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

The biggest issue to affect the country in decades, post referendum and majority vote in the House of Commons being blocked by the Lords?
If it gets to that stage I really can't imagine that happening. The biggest crisis in British democracy I can imagine to be honest.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

originally posted by: crazyewok

a reply to: SprocketUK

The Scotland and N.Ireland issue is a potential problem though, I'm more concerned about how she's going to deal with that.
Could get messy.

London finance and the soft fruit sector in south east England will get deals...Everyone alse can go # themselves.

Then hold a secound referedum and piss off and hide under mad merkals skirts

Suits me. When you have lost your human rights and every working right your forefathers fought for we'll be wishing you all the best. Enjoy what's coming to you. You deserve it.

I think like many Scots, you underestimate us Brits. We won't lie down and allow any of that to happen. Sure they can try, but we are many, they are few.

We've told the E.U we do not like the direction they were heading, we will certainly tell any U.K Government where they can get off if they try anything like what you are suggesting.

Eh? Maybe I'm reading your post wrong but it's already happened/happening - one of the leading Leave campaigns was the claim scrapping Human Rights would be good (as they framed it only terrorists benefit, instead of the reality of it stopping slavery, torture, false imprisonment etc..) and the Justice secretary (the MenCap with a cheese obsession) started scrapping it as of August last year despite not having backing in Parliament.

originally posted by:
83Liberty
She is also giving the house of commons and the house of lords a vote on the deal, which I'm not happy about.
I'm not too worried about the common's, however the HoL's may well reject the deal as they are not elected or accountable to the public!

It's a legal requirement that she'd tried to dodge. Hopefully Parliament manage to get a bit of sense or perspective into Brexit as there's no mandate for a hard brexit and so far the plans seem to be full of fluff or little england/the EU is sunk without us jibberish instead of substance or strategy.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
It's a legal requirement that she'd tried to dodge. Hopefully Parliament manage to get a bit of sense or perspective into Brexit as there's no mandate for a hard brexit and so far the plans seem to be full of fluff or little england/the EU is sunk without us jibberish instead of substance or strategy.

You clearly didn't listen to her speech if you think the plan is about being "little englanders".
Why are you guys so negative, spiteful and talk absolute rubbish?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

I am seeing the strategy as haggling the best deal for Britain and the EU.
Both parties wish to trade with each other, and Britain has a strong hand of cards in German car sales alone.
I'm just ordering a crate of popcorn from Booker's and watching optimistically.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Yeah, even me and Solo are playing nice together in this thread.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
She was spot on 👍
Scots just want a free ride 👍
Let's stop ALL migrants 👍
If Europe plays hard ball charge everyone £1000 tax to holiday in Europe and no tax to Canada , USA and oz 👍

U.K. Has got its balls back 👍

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
I've learned not to get involved / reply to their comments unless they quote/reply to me.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Are you seriously suggesting that suddenly we will be turning to slavery, torture and false imprisonment?

Get rid of the Human Rights act and introduce a Bill of Rights for U.K citizens.

Whilst we remain in the E.U we can't even begin to start scrapping the act. I'm sure if there was anything nefarious about the Bill of Rights, there will be repercussions.
edit on 17/1/17 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Lol, I think we do okay with our bickering among ourselves in the Brit threads, hardly any posts get removed by mods even when we proper diss each other.

I bet mods have a nightmare with Brit threads because I imagine we rarely grass each other up, and have loads of insults not on the ban filter lol

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

On the Scots. Current polls suggest that indyref2 would not be successful, so the divisive nationalists will just snipe from the side-lines. They won’t risk another defeat and quite frankly the nationalists probably don’t want independence anyway, considering parlous state of the Scottish economy and the dependence on trade with the UK. The deals with Eire will satiate the Northern Irish, so that’ll be sorted.

What parlous state of the Scottish econmy are we talking about.?

The deals with Eire will satiate the Northern Irish, so that’ll be sorted.

So Northern Ireland can get a deal with Europe, London will have it's financial deals unchanged but Scotland can go # themselves. This is acceptable to you.?

You can bet your bottom dollar if this happens Scotland will hold a second referendum...and vote yes convincingly. You talk about the EU cutting it's nose off to spite it's face then you go on to state Scotland wont be allowed to continue to trade with England...Hypocrisy at it's finest.
edit on 17-1-2017 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Yeah, even me and Solo are playing nice together in this thread.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Ah the continuing UK would strike a deal with Scotland for sure. Possible hard border though, but I'll know a few blokes who'll be smuggling whisky so I don't give a # really.

Extra work for fence erectors and border force so all good really

edit on 17.1.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Ah the continuing UK would strike a deal with Scotland for sure. Possible hard border though, but I'll know a few blokes who'll be smuggling whisky so I don't give a # really.

Extra work for fence erectors and border force so all good really

Well build a wall and get Mexico to pay for it..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join