It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May sets out her Brexit plan today.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

We are in agreement, of course the UK needs immigration which benefits the UK, same as Oz and Canada etc pick who they need.
Tens of thousands of Hungarian or Romanian labourers not so much, but if Britain actually needs them then I'll welcome them with open arms.

We may when Hinckley Point project commences, but if we are out by then, labour will come from China I'm sure.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I was pleasantly surprised. I always believed May to be a technocrat.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty
Fantastic speech from Mrs May. She has pretty much echoed what UKIP have been saying for years now, glad she starting to get it.

The only thing she failed to mention was getting back control of our fishing waters, though I'm sure we will get that anyway.

And this is where the moronic brexiters shows their ignorance.

More fish is landed by UK fishermen from EU waters than EU fisherman land from UK waters.

Result : UK fishermen worse off!

But hey ho the BS spouted by the Daily Mail has rotted peoples brains.

Oh by the way you go online and check all the numbers if you like.........its called the internet.........has lots of boring tables and documents with strange things in there called "facts".

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Can you not debate without childish insults?
FFS, even me and Solo are getting along in this thread, still disagree but like grown ups.
Wind your neck in and let's have one #ing thread without bull# angry insults.
FFS.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Well, let's see shall we? I'm ambivalent about Scottish independence now, since being the target of racist abuse last time I visited Scotland, but the current polls beg to differ. Indyref2 is now a perpetual threat made to make nationalist politicians to make it look like they have influence, and to satiate the nationalists.

The scots (and folks from my County) don't tolerate a-holes so you must have behaved like one.

I'm from Yorkshire and have lived here for 30 years. I was the only person in the pub cheering England at Rugby. Lots of friendly banter......because I don't act like an arrogant a-hole.

Oh and to add to the irony my (new) local is the Hoolets which was a pub run by a landlady called Margo Macdonald and the SNP held their meetings in the backroom. Despite that I'm still safe from the "evil nationalists" hiding behind the cladding.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Agreed, and I welcome any workers our country actually needs.
Same as how we treat the rest of the world outside of the EU.
....We'd have no curry houses if we didn't give visas to the folk who cook it.
[Shudders at thought]

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

FFS, even me and Solo are getting along in this thread, still disagree but like grown ups.
FFS.

My patience with stupidity has run out. Basic facts that ignorance refuses to acknowledge I call out now. It's not like it takes long to go online and educate yourself. We are heading for a crap future because of the mindless ignorance of many brexiters who were led by UKIP and the Daily Mail's lies.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

Fantastic speech from Mrs May. She has pretty much echoed what UKIP have been saying for years now, glad she starting to get it.

The only thing she failed to mention was getting back control of our fishing waters, though I'm sure we will get that anyway.

More fish is landed by UK fishermen from EU waters than EU fisherman land from UK waters.

Oh by the way you go online and check all the numbers if you like.........its called the internet.........has lots of boring tables and documents with strange things in there called "facts".

Firstly, even if true, where did I state that we will end up catching more fish?
Secondly, even if true, I bet these fish we catch in EU waters are mainly from big companies/corporations, not local people in their OWN waters.

So in conclusion, your rant is not only a straw man argument, it is pretty vile.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Funny thing is nations within the EU have good support in terms of the independent fishermen, we can't say the same for British fishermen, the cost of their boat or tools is high. For the majority of long-lasting fishermen it's been go big or go home.

We slaughter the seas in terms of haulage, but just like Iceland the majority of these companies killing it are companies - enough said.

Nowt at all to do with wanting our seas back, it's actually a matter of regulation and corporation I always thought. Sustainable fishing is a brilliant thing, go ask our thriving shellfish businessmen and women.
edit on 17-1-2017 by RAY1990 because: ing*

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

You don't know any of that, it is your opinion.
Quit the arrogant know it all attitude fella.
I'm a big mouth but I don't express my opinions as fact.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: 83Liberty

Secondly, even if true, I bet these fish we catch in EU waters are mainly from big companies/corporations, not local people in their OWN waters.

Would you deny regulating fishing is a good thing?

Fully agree with you on corporations, fact is we sell most of our fish elsewhere than Britain.

They pay taxes though

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

FFS.

My patience with stupidity has run out. Basic facts that ignorance refuses to acknowledge I call out now. It's not like it takes long to go online and educate yourself. We are heading for a crap future because of the mindless ignorance of many brexiters who were led by UKIP and the Daily Mail's lies.

No it's you making false assumptions (possibly from the MSM) and getting angry.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

FFS.

No it's you making false assumptions (possibly from the MSM) and getting angry.

Some things never change.

No, no, no, no, no, you're wrong, followed by, look it up yourself.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I doubt very much she would win either the commons on the Lords. Remember, she was a stayer herself along with loads of other Tories. She simply wont have the majority.

But, The Privy Council acting for the Queen can over-rule the House of Lords......
AND At least in theory the Queen can enact statute in and of her own right.
I can not believe that Teresa has embarked on this course without the agreement of the Queen .....

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I think we should regulate fishing, however, not the kind of legislation from the EU that forced us to throw dead fish back into the sea.

I think the fishermen should have more input as why would the local fishermen want to catch fish in unsustainable levels, if their future livelihood depends on it?

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

It would be interesting if the Crown sided with a referendum and majority vote in the Commons.
If I was king I'd definitely investigate the options, could extend popularity towards a constitutional monarchy for decades.
Possible blinder move by the queen...and I'm a republican lol

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Hey mate. I am from Hull. My grandfather was a skipper on the trawlers. The Common Fishing Policy (CFP) destroyed the fishing industry here. I lived through it.

The scots (and folks from my County) don't tolerate a-holes

Actually that says far more about you than people in Yorkshire.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
A Sustainable fishing policy is a must, and we can have one if we take back control of our fishing grounds.

NATO is obsolete, says Trump.

We're going to bring back the old alliance. U.K, U.S and Russria.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

a reply to: RAY1990

I think we should regulate fishing, however, not the kind of legislation from the EU that forced us to throw dead fish back into the sea.

I think the fishermen should have more input as why would the local fishermen want to catch fish in unsustainable levels, if their future livelihood depends on it?

Yeah, wasting catch is stupid any way you look at it. It's protein for goodness sake.

Personally I've always believed in the devolution of power, let the locals decide what happens with their own waters. Waters considered free game should be heavily regulated and taxes associated with tonnage, more yearly gross tonnage means higher taxes. We need to encourage the small business owner.

If the locals screw their own livelihood it's on them, chances are though some people love their lands and waters and given a chance will work towards sustaining their eco-systems.

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

FFS.

People can learn, teach them and treat them with a bit respect.

Trust me, most people can get over themselves when it comes to learning something and that includes the willfully ignorant. I try it still at every turn.

In this age when most people can read and hold a conversation we have no such concept as stupidity, they are merely ill-informed and don't have access to the things that would enlighten them. Shine a light on them fella, you can't really complain if you don't try.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join