It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iconic Star Wars Actress Carrie Fisher Dies at 60

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

There will be no escape for Jake Blues now.

R.I.P. Carrie Fisher

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Yes the Force has been weakened by her death it has.

I think she enjoyed the hell out of life, despite any problems she had and instantly thought of this Hunter S. Thompson quote.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

I just watched her on The Graham Norton Show a couple of days ago, her last appearance/interview, on the Dec, 9th show. She was such hoot as always and seemed so vibrant and alive. Just shows you a person never knows when their time is up. She was 5 years younger than me, I find that a bit disconcerting.

RIP Carrie Fisher

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
She was bi polar and took medication. I'm willing to bet my last dollar her medications contributed to her death. I'm 40 years old and been taking the same kind of meds the past 20 years. It's known in the medical community the meds will cut your life short.
edit on 28-12-2016 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-12-2016 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
She was bi polar and took medication. I'm willing to bet my last dollar her medications contributed to her dead. I'm 40 years old and been taking the same kind of meds the past 20 years. It's known in the medical community the meds will cut your life short.

she was a massive coke head back in the day too that cant have helped

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I get that some people are sad that a Celebrity died, but unless you know that individual personally I just don't understand how it affects anyone. I mean you fell in love with the "character" in a "movie". Those movies still exist and you can watch it whenever you want.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: jidnum

I wrote this elsewhere on the web, and will post it here as well:

I didn't expect to be this upset about Carrie Fisher's death. It's not like I knew her. It's not like I'm mourning anyone that was present in my own, real life. And it's not like she was a saint or superhuman in her role-model-worthiness. I tell myself I'm mourning a character more than a person... but that's not quite entirely true.

What I'm mourning, are the bricks and mortar that built my childhood. People who epitomized youthfulness and vitality to me - in various fields, but especially the myriad creative arts - are checking out right and left. It is both a reminder of mortality (my own bearing down on me faster than any of us like to think about or concede,) and a sad further erosion of the symbols and landmarks of my "wonder years."

Yet another emphatic notice that some things and people are gone forever, and will never be coming back. It's easy to just say, "Well that's life." Or, "So what? People die every day. You don't cry about those poor unfortunates." Well, duh. (Though I do try to spare a thought for them whenever possible.) But there are billions of people on Earth, all of whom will live and die in their course, and it's not practical or possible to be aware of all of their births and passings.

Those we do become privy to though, naturally affect us more than those we're unaware of. And even if we don't know them, those who play important roles in our formative years... those into whom we invest empathetic and cathartic emotional weight whether it be a musician whose song we wore out a tape or record listening to repeatedly for years, or an actor who portrayed a beloved character that meant the world to us... when they go, we feel it.

We shouldn't, perhaps. It's certainly not rational. But we feel it. And I feel this one particularly acutely for whatever reason.

Sufficed to say, people are different and respond to deaths - even those of people we don't know personally - in different ways. That's everyone's nature and prerogative, and people don't need to understand it to respect and accept it.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: jidnum

When you watch an actor, it's not just a character you're watching... It's a human being, and you're becoming familiar with them, their face, their voice... you get to know personality traits. When an actor or celebrity becomes a face familiar to you your whole life, a unique sort of connection happens. A person that shows up on your TV, makes you smile, makes you feel, and even makes you miss them when they're away. And people feel sad when they're gone.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: GCoot

Scumbags like you are the reason that the world is as it is today.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Her mother, actress Debbie Reynolds, just died today, one day later. She was 84.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
2 scenes from The Blues Brothers, Carrie plays the jilted lover of Jake Blues (John Belushi)

Belushi saved her life by performing the Heimlich maneuver on her when a Brussel sprout got caught in her throat, upon which he asked her to marry him, to which she felt she was wise to say yes just in case that were to ever happen again..

She had a great sense of humor, however troubled she might have been with all the drugs and whatnot.

I think that Hollywood got to her and that she went right along with it. Maybe in the end she was worth more to them dead than alive.. who knows.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Apparently her mother died an hour ago too. Probably of a broken heart.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: RetsuUnohana

i suspect that ms fischers mother died of "being 84"-its a very common cause of death

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

i suspect that ms fischers mother died of "being 84"-its a very common cause of death

Obviously she died of old age. But she was planning her daughter's funeral and randomly got a heart attack and the family said she was devastated by her daughter's death and something about wanting to be with her.

She took the news badly and than that happend. To me, it sounds like heartache, lost the will to live, plus old age. It has to be devastating to bury your own child.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
RIP her mother Debbie Reynolds too.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: RetsuUnohana

Obviously she died of old age. But she was planning her daughter's funeral and randomly got a heart attack and the family said she was devastated by her daughter's death and something about wanting to be with her.

She took the news badly and than that happend. To me, it sounds like heartache, lost the will to live, plus old age. It has to be devastating to bury your own child.

I agree Carrie's death was likely a factor in her death, similar to the way an old couple will often die within a couple of years of each other.

My next door neighbor spent 20 years taking care of his debilitated wife. After she finally died, he was gone within 6 months.

P.S.

You know, for a thread dedicated to grieving and condolences, we've had a lot of asshats in here.
edit on 28-12-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: jidnum
I get that some people are sad that a Celebrity died, but unless you know that individual personally I just don't understand how it affects anyone. I mean you fell in love with the "character" in a "movie". Those movies still exist and you can watch it whenever you want.

I thought about typing a lengthy reply to your post, but decided this article from Psychology Today explains it far better than I could.

www.psychologytoday.com...

And the truth is, it is also quite normal to mourn someone we had a great deal of respect and admiration for, even if we never knew them personally. I'll mourn when Jackson Browne dies (I'm sure he's got a few years left -- the guy still looks great), like I did when Jim Henson died.

Henson's death still bothers me. He was such a unique talent and went too soon. He made the world a better place.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   

And you're also ignoring that she died within 24 hours of her daughter's death. Which OBVIOUSLY isn't common.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

originally posted by: RetsuUnohana

I agree Carrie's death was likely a factor in her death, similar to the way an old couple will often die within a couple of years of each other.

My next door neighbor spent 20 years taking care of his debilitated wife. After she finally died, he was gone within 6 months.

P.S.

You know, for a thread dedicated to grieving and condolences, we've had a lot of asshats in here.

I've noticed that about the thread.. I remember reading a few stories where a similar couple died back to back within hours in thier own arms. He accompanied her to the hospital and when they pronounced the man's wife dead, he laid next to her and passed away.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

Jim Henson's death still bothers me, as well.

I watch A Muppet Family Christmas every year, along with Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. (Just to end on a positive, memorial note for his contributions.)

Peace.
edit on 12/29/2016 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join