It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Law of Attraction - I think I finally understand it

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Well I've been fascinated with the whole idea of the law of attraction for some time but also thought it was a load of farce. I've listened to audio books of Napoleon Hill and still couldn't understand it. It was a long journey for me as I've read many small posts and articles and the entire topic is a rather shady one kept under wraps. However, If I'm wrong here, please do educate me.

So to keep it short and simple, I've been doing some thinking of how powerful the brain is due to the sheer number of calculations one executes for each action and it was mostly related to how we do things. They say

the hardest thing to see is what is in front of your eyes.

What is the law of attraction?

The law of attraction is the name given to the maxim "like attracts like" which in New Thought philosophy is used to sum up the idea that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts a person brings positive or negative experiences into their life.

(Small disclaimer everything from this point on is an opinion of mine)

Now, it's a lot like this when we are attempting to do something, anything at all, once we have the basic knowledge we can do it. So for example, let's say there's something on a shelf and you can't quite reach it, you'll have to jump to reach it. We don't realize it or just very often overlook the idea that we visualize the jump. Within that visualization, we do many calculations, how much high will I have to jump to reach this item, grab this item, safely remove it from where it is and so forth. When we jump, we'll most likely grab the item once we envision ourselves grabbing it, if there is doubt within our minds then there is a fair chance you'll fail or the interaction will be a bit sloppy.

With that said, from the audio books i've listened, they stress knowing exactly what you want, and how you'll get it step by step and visualizations much like the above, but it won't just come to you, you have to actively get it.

If the above example wasn't clear, we basically visualize everything we do. In the event you should be running across the street, not like a mad man but as an analytical human with the belief you will get across safely then chances are you will be successful. If you are running across the street and think negatively chances are you'll get hit because you may deviate from your original envisioned plan and that deviation ruins the calculation you had previously made and that millisecond is the cause of your failure.

So essentially there is no easy way out and there is no thinking your way to riches, you will and you must work just as hard as another person. But if you envision yourself doing something, it makes it 10x easier when you actually do it, I guess you could say it's like practicing mentally.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Visualize whirled peas.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   
The practice of visualization is the key to attaction.
Close your eyes and visualize the object not just what you will do when you get it or how you will get it. You have to be able to see the object crystal clear in your mind

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: SuspiciousTom

I think it's more like the melody of confirmation bias we're hearing here. People who are successful attribute their success to this 'Law of Attraction' and their successes are promoted by people who believe in the 'Law of Attraction.' It's circular logic.

Is there an inverse version of the law? For example, do you remember Starsky and Hutch? The man who played Starsky lost his wife and daughter to HIV after they were infected by a blood transfusion. Did he 'attract' that? Did his wife? Bad luck?

Can a West African kid believe themselves into becoming an A-lister in Hollywood? Do you know what I mean? Can people concentrate their cancer away? There's more to fortune than our will to believe - circumstances are key.

I totally agree with the power of positive thinking, placebos and other factors. It's hard to go all the way past them and believe the universe provides stuff on request as long as we concentrate enough.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Visualization is Powerful. Clearing ones mind is also important for those wishing to achieve their goals quicker than simple repeating words and sounds.

s/f good thread.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I agree with what you said about circumstances.

When people are happy and content, they're most likely to achieve their goals faster than if they were focused on say a sick friend in need of their attention. When life is peaceful and contentive, everything happens much faster if one is focused enough to want it.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   

I think once you visualise something, and I mean super-visualise it like the LOA instructs, your subconscious will notice little situations and act on them, bringing you closer to your goal without you realising.

I'll share my experience with the LOA when my daughter isn't needing attention as she is now

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Encryptor

It's hard to read a book during a hurricane..as they say.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   
It could be as simple as an external placebo effect. Or even more likely, the more you believe something will happen, the more you knowingly and unknowingly work towards it (like a self fulfilling prophecy). That extra effort could be the difference in success and failure, which is then attributed to the law of attraction.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Tell all them folks who have died horribly throughout history (nearly 100% of the population that existed), how visualization to get what you want, is a law.

Half the time, visualization doesn't work. Even where good things do happen, it's just the operation of probability.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   

It's almost a pity that we can't all 'wish' for what we want.

Olympic gold medallists have the mental make-up backed up by genetics and good fortune. A whole bunch of others never reach the podium even though they visualise success every day and train hard. Circumstances.

Confidence is as confidence does too.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

It's almost a pity that we can't all 'wish' for what we want.

Olympic gold medallists have the mental make-up backed up by genetics and good fortune. A whole bunch of others never reach the podium even though they visualise success every day and train hard. Circumstances.

Confidence is as confidence does too.

Oh but we can
Life is but a passing moment, what's on the other side is what i'm waiting for. Peace, for the humbled and contentive. Something i ponder on often.

I understand how you mean though, we're here, and we must take what we're given and do with it what we can before it's gone.

Yes confidence i agree, is yet another stepping stone back onto the path to inner awakening.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

yes lol indeed it would be.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   
The law of attraction isn't even real. It's akin to someone asking God for something everyday, then confidently working toward what they asked for thinking that God is going to make it happen for them. If you're visualizing success then work toward it, there's no special effect involved, no secret.

You're not going to win the lottery by visualizing it or asking God for it either.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

Some call it God, some call it by other names. It doesn't make any difference it all leads to the same place. It's not about 'Religion' it's about Self Awareness.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   

I think you are getting warm. What you describe is what I would call "short term" visualisation. Done for specific immediate needs. The shelf example that you gave is typical. I would give another good example : AN athlete about to do a high jump. First this athlete will visualise the run up to the bar and then the rjump and roll over. Until it is achieved successfully in the mind , he/she will not initiate the physical attempt. This is well known. I use to do it when doing High jump. Same applies to diving and other sports.

Then there is the longer term visualisation for a specific result which is the combination of many linked events. Unlike the shelf example, other individuals are involved (eg getting that job which means that somebody else does not get it; or successful business deal). For that , a slightly different technique needs to be used but not so dissimilar to the Like attracts like concept you mention in the OP.

edit on 16-10-2016 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Like attracts like in people because they're looking for stuff and people that they like which are like them in a way. Everyone appreciates their best qualities and would want that in another person. I'm speaking about relationships. In regards to objects, there's absolutely no mojo going on here, just a clear desire to want to have something or to cause something good to happen. The person uses their free will, supported by visualization or as they say, keeping your eyes on the prize.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Visualize whirled peas.

I'm not sure why, but I read this in Pavel Chekov's voice..still giggling.

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   

nice post love it, where i am at on this subject is, we have created an image since birth that has been getting conditioned since birth, from here we create a representation of the self that we see as being us or who we are.. to start attracting the things we want they have to be accepted by the image that we have of ourselves. the more we think positive about the image of that guy/gal you have created, the more you will attract things to achieve this image, remember the image you have created is due to all the experiences and thoughts that you have had your whole life, so it is a strong image to try and change drastically in my opinion, and i am no adept by any means i am a novice like you, but the first step is noticing that it is real for me....

read this if you don't know of it, the implications that this is real should change peoples ways of thinking...
www.psychologytoday.com...
edit on 16-10-2016 by Davg80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

Nah... it's about being in the right frequency. It's not that hard. You're not forcing anything you're aligning yourself with the right energies.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join