It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DiCaprio: Climate Deniers 'Should Not Be Allowed to Hold Public Office'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: burdman30ott6

So DiCaprio is not allowed to speak to the president as a U.S. citizen? Am I allowed to speak to the president? Are you? I know people who have written letters to Obama, and he wrote them back. He's even met with some people. Is that not allowed?

Lots of people send him letters, pamphlets, videos, etc. It's up to him what he will respond to and what he won't. We all already know his stance on climate change. DiCaprio didn't sway him in any way.

If Charlton Heston was still alive, and he met with hypothetical President Trump to discuss the importance of maintaining the 2nd amendment, I bet you wouldn't have a problem with it, but that's because you're a big 2nd amendment person.

Leo has every right to say what he wants.

I have two problems with this though.

The first is as has been mentioned, Leo is a hypocrite on this issue. "Do as I say not as I do" This seems to be par for the course for all of these people who claim some sort of moral highground.

Allow immigrants in, but not in my community. Premarital sex is a sin, yet I will hire hookers, etc.

This is my problem with the climate change debate. I am willing to listen to any science or opinions, but why are the solutions to these problems always normal poor people having to change their lives?

The other problem that I have with this statement is that it is indicative of how divisive politics has become. What does he means shouldn't be allowed to hold office.

Once upon a time, people disagreed with others on issues, but still respected them. I know plenty of people that wanted Obamacare, which I found to be very dumb. However, I am not going to say that those people should never be allowed to hold office.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Coming from the guy who flew his private jet to an awards ceremony.

Sit down and shut up Leo, you aren't famous for anything but portraying other people.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: burdman30ott6

So DiCaprio is not allowed to speak to the president as a U.S. citizen? Am I allowed to speak to the president? Are you? I know people who have written letters to Obama, and he wrote them back. He's even met with some people. Is that not allowed?

Lots of people send him letters, pamphlets, videos, etc. It's up to him what he will respond to and what he won't. We all already know his stance on climate change. DiCaprio didn't sway him in any way.

If Charlton Heston was still alive, and he met with hypothetical President Trump to discuss the importance of maintaining the 2nd amendment, I bet you wouldn't have a problem with it, but that's because you're a big 2nd amendment person.

The first is as has been mentioned, Leo is a hypocrite on this issue. "Do as I say not as I do" This seems to be par for the course for all of these people who claim some sort of moral highground.

This is my problem with the climate change debate. I am willing to listen to any science or opinions, but why are the solutions to these problems always normal poor people having to change their lives?

To be fair, Leo has said publicly that it's not really about what the individual does - the major damage is from industry.

To be clear, this is not about telling people to change their light bulbs or buy a hybrid car. This disaster has grown BEYOND the choices that individuals make. This is now about our industries, and governments around the world taking decisive, large-scale action.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The other problem that I have with this statement is that it is indicative of how divisive politics has become. What does he means shouldn't be allowed to hold office.

This is his opinion. I've heard plenty of folks say that Hillary shouldn't be allowed to be president because she is a lying criminal who has killed people. Nothing divisive about that.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I have this argument with people on ATS and it's the one thing that keeps coming back on me and why I believe in Man Made Global Warming. It's all the scientists and Scientific organizations and Universities and NASA and all of these people that are constantly gathering data and researching this.

It's not like some of my little pet theories like Flouride in our Drinking water. There's not hundreds of thousands of people researching that, but there are Climate Change.

When you tell me that I shouldn't believe in this theory, it's like your telling me to not believe in Evolution. You're telling me to not believe Scientists because they're all lying to me. They're all lying to me? All of this ongoing research and temperature gathering and everything is all bogus? But some right wing bloggers have the answer, because Big oil companies paid them to tell you that. LOL

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Who cares what Di Caprio thinks?

Oh that's right a fair percentage of the female population.

Go Leo!!

Ummm...I don't think his barn door swings that way, so they're wasting their adoration in that regard.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

There is always some mindless twit arguing that anyone who doesn't buy in to the concept of anthropogenic global climate change shouldn’t be permitted to do something or another or, in one case, should be prosecuted. Mindless dogma reigns and the thought police are looking for heretics. Those that claim science supports their position will brook no challenges and have actually rejected the scientific method.
As it turns out, the climate of the Earth has been continually changing since the planet formed. It is true that CO2 is a greenhouse gas and humans contribute to atmospheric CO2. It was thought that power plants using coal should be converted to natural gas to cut down on CO2 emissions. This has had some unintended consequences. Natural gas is mainly methane which has 25 times the effect of CO2. Check the leakage rates of all those gas pipelines and discover that the advantage of natural gas has been overstated. Finally, consider that the most important greenhouse gas is water vapor. Many models do not handle water vapor well and the predictions from those models are unreliable to the point of guessing.
Another thing that is misunderstood is the concept of oceans rising when land-based glaciers melt. It is true that there will be more water to distribute but it is not like a bathtub and levels will not rise equally around the world. As an example, the ocean level near Greenland will fall significantly. This is because the gravitational attraction of the Greenland glacier on the ocean raises the ocean level. When it melts, the attraction disappears and the ocean level falls.
Maintain a healthy skepticism, stay open to new data, and do not suppress the ideas of others based on your own opinion. Cherish those who search for the truth but beware of those who have found it.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

You know...I have always maintained that no matter what roles old Leo took on, he'd forever be defined by his role in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Well. Seems I was right. It would seem that he also took character immersion to a whole new level in the process of filming it.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
This is what happens when a hardcore right wing ATSer is actually running for the most power country in the world. He get's laughed off the stage, but wonders why there is a conspiracy against him.

originally posted by: Swills

Trump says the entire Climate Change "issue" was started by the Chinese as a conspiracy. That amount of stupid tells me he's disqualified, among the many, many, other YUGE reasons he's a terrible candidate.

edit on 4-10-2016 by SeekingAlpha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I have a solution. No one who wants to hold public office should be allowed to. It should be like jury duty.

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

You know...I have always maintained that no matter what roles old Leo took on, he'd forever be defined by his role in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. Well. Seems I was right. It would seem that he also took character immersion to a whole new level in the process of filming it.

I don't particularly care about Leo's political opinions (or those of any celebrity, or really any one at all), but I would hardly say the man's career is defined by that one role. I always picture him as Howard Hughes in the Aviator.
edit on 4-10-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The guy is allowed an opinion......If people are stupid enough to be swayed by what he thinks because he is celebrity well that's on them....

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
They are right the climate changes every season.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

He's a genius actor, not a genius.

Don't let the comments of Hollyweird icons bother you. Hell, for all we know, it's just an act, and he's just a puppet--I mean, that is his craft, right?

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
he is right, climate CHANGE IS REAL, THE CLIMATE HAS BEEN CHANGING SINCE THE EXISTENCE OF EARTH. Go away Leotardo.

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

If you say he has the right to say that people not on the climate change bandwagon shouldn't be allowed in public office, then I say people like him shouldn't speak out on subjects about which they are ignorant. I'm saying he and his fellow actors ought to be ignored.

Sure, unless it these guys, right?

www.ranker.com...

edit on 5-10-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

burdman30ott6: Actors should not be allowed to use their celebrity status and large political donations as a conduit to a standing President's ears.

Dontcha just hate that?

Oops.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I have this argument with people on ATS and it's the one thing that keeps coming back on me and why I believe in Man Made Global Warming. It's all the scientists and Scientific organizations and Universities and NASA and all of these people that are constantly gathering data and researching this.

The reason it keeps coming back is because people see it for what it is.

PROPAGANDA.

Technique # 1.

score.rims.k12.ca.us...

Bandwagon.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Then there is the whole 'unanimous' consent in the scientific community bull snip.

There isn't 'unanimous' consent in any field. Especially seen in the political world.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: amazing

The reason it keeps coming back is because people see it for what it is.

PROPAGANDA.

Technique # 1.

score.rims.k12.ca.us...

Bandwagon.

But it's not. Take Al Gore and any media types out of it and then what do you have.

yOu have constant research going on by scientists, like those at NASA. And if you really look at who's researching or some of the DATA, it's just data and then people will pour over it and summarize it. It's actual scientists. Do you really thing all the scientists in the world are in on some weird propaganda conspiracy? That would be pretty crazy.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join