It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Thought Use Higher Dimensions to Function?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
A lot of people know intuitively that the way we think and our own experiences are more than just physical. We don't think of ourselves as part of the physical realm. There is a scientific explanation for this: a quantum theory of mind.

Highlights
• The Orch OR theory proposes quantum computations in brain microtubules account for consciousness.
• Microtubule ‘quantum channels’ in which anesthetics erase consciousness are identified.
• Evidence for warm quantum vibrations in brain microtubules is cited.
• Interference of microtubule vibrations are ‘beat frequencies’ seen as EEG. • Orch OR links consciousness to processes in fundamental space–time geometry.

Orch Or Theory

This theory is an explanation of consciousness that uses quantum physics. If quantum physics is involved, that means that higher dimensions could be involved. The Double Slit experiment, (Wikipedia) is a complex experiment done in the lab. (I think I am going to do a thread on the multiverse theory as an explanation for this separately)

One of the explanations of this experiment is the existence of multiple universes. There is basically the present, which is where we are now, and there are multiple futures. Those multiple futures exist together in the 5th dimension. I believe that every time we make a choice as an individual we are creating a new universe for each possible choice we made. The choice we make determines the universe we exist in after the choice. However, as recent scientific experiments are confirming, that other choice's universe does exist, just as much as this one.

So if the Orch Or theory is correct and the thought we experience is a quantum process, that means that it is more than what can be explained by classical physics. I think that has great implecations.

edit on 04pmSun, 04 Sep 2016 23:00:27 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 04pmSun, 04 Sep 2016 23:03:15 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
First. Can you define "higher dimension?"

edit on 9/4/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

I gave you a S+F for a thought provoking thread. However, I like to keep things simple and build upon what is learned and then evolve. The old Occam's Razor philosophy.

Basically as I see it, your discussion boils down to causal. Cause and effect! One action causes another reaction. From an individual perspective. Yes, my choices will lead me somewhere possibly completely different than where I am today. Thought---the process of reasoning, deduction. Action--doing something with those thoughts that changes things.

Nice post. Thank you

Peace
KD

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yes. The 0th dimension is a point. The first dimension is a line, which is created between two points. The second dimension is a plane, which is created by joining two perpendicular lines together. The third dimension is created with two perpendicular planes. The fourth dimension, time, must be represented entirely by two perpendicular 3rd dimensions. This space represents all 3rd dimensions.

It is possible to reduce time to a line. That is because the properties of dimensions allow you to represent higher dimensions as lower dimensions to see the relationships between them. So imagine a line. Now imagine that line split into two lines. The paper those lines are on - that is the 5th dimension.
edit on 04pmSun, 04 Sep 2016 23:10:01 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 04pmSun, 04 Sep 2016 23:10:51 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 04pmSun, 04 Sep 2016 23:11:40 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Ok. More = higher. Three's good, five's better.

Not sure what that has to do with other universes though.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Ok. More = higher. Three's good, five's better.

Pfft. Kaluza-Klein?

to the op: The problem with Orch-OR is that, like all Cartesian theories of thought, you end up with turtles all the way down.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Here, I was drawing the picture.

The lines represent timelines. Every time a living thing makes a choice, the timeline branches off, as you can see here, this is a diagram of choices.

If we were purely physical beings, then we would only have access to the physical realm, which is represented by the line. But in order to be able to make choices, we have to have access to the paper realm as part of our thought processes. This means that we are not purely physical beings, and perhaps spiritual - well, at least of a higher dimension.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Let's make this an interesting thread. What are some problems Orch Or has?

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Nonsense.

Rolling a die does not change anything.
Everything that will happen has. Free will is an illusion.
The trick is in the sequencing. Ask a Trafalmadorian.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: Bedlam

Let's make this an interesting thread. What are some problems Orch Or has?

Cartesian dualism ends up in an infinite regress, for one. That's sort of a show stopper.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   

It's an interesting question however doesn't every study use the dimensions we can experience and that seems to work fine.

We are too early in our studies to dismiss the impact of potential other dimensions however we seem to be doing fine without it so far.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

If scientists prove the existence of parallel universes, then they prove the existence of choices as I outlined a choice as a 5th dimensional process above. If parallel universes exist, the 5th dimension must exist.

Experiments are starting to show this to be the case, such as this one here.

There is not much evidence right now. But it is something to watch for as we grow older.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Does Thought Use Higher Dimensions to Function?

Yes it does, thoughts are non-physical, but just a projection.

Peace

edit on 4-9-2016 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   

If parallel universes exist, the 5th dimension must exist.

False.
A "parallel universe" would exist in and of itself. It may well have more that 4 "dimensions", that is however, irrelevant to our Universe.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

If parallel universes exist, the 5th dimension must exist.

False.

How so?

Edit: Just saw your reply.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: InnerPeace2012
I stated how so.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Huh???

Free will is an illusion.

I choose not to stab myself in the heart right now thank you. I am looking forward to those cheeseburgers and hot dogs I will have tomorrow on Labor Day. The question is just how many I will eat? And more importantly, how much I will drink....I believe I have total control over these things that 'I' do, however, if it rains on the party, well 'take-out' is fine with me. Always nice to have a back up plan.

Peace

KD
edit on 4-9-2016 by Darkinsider because: spelling

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
We don't think of ourselves as part of the physical realm. There is a scientific explanation for this: a quantum theory of mind.

I think a better explanation would be that we can gain better understanding by emotionally removing yourself a level. The same reason you give better advice to others than yourself could explain evolutionary advantages to this duality in our heads.

posted on Sep, 4 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar
Take a giant step

posted on Sep, 5 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Not my style but didn't hate it.
He's far more poetic than I am, but it's the same point.

Take a giant step outside your mind, it's the only way to get perspective.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join