It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snacks and junk foods.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

a good, cured salami....absolutely.

That "cotto" salami crap isn't fit for dog kibble. Cooking salami just ruins it.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

These... at first I did not like them but now I know, I got "old ones" where the sugar cristalyzed already, when I first tried. God they are delicious. The peanutbutter products in germany are aweful. And I just saw them three hours ago at the gas station, was right, 2€ for 3 pieces. I resisted because they are probably "old".

That said, I always will remember the special taste of american / canadian donuts. I think the secret is peanutoil (here we are again... peanuts...) for frying. I NEVER got such tasty donuts again like those in a small shop, somewhere 300km up the road from Saskatoon.

Oh and definitly "Döner Kebap", if we are talking about fast food. Döner keeps you schöner.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

The secret to making amazing donuts: use old oil. Its just that simple. The best donuts i ever had were fried in the old french fry oil from a local Dairy Queen. As the oil is heated, it begins to break down and saponify a little. This is the secret to the most amazing donuts. 2 days of making fries, and they'd clean out the fryers. The old oil was bought by the donut shop owners to make donuts. When they got new oil, they'd just add it into the old oil and keep on frying donuts.

The slightly soapy oil makes the outside fry crispier, while allowing the inside to steam.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

a good, cured salami....absolutely.

There's a great producer here in New Jersey who makes the most amazing salumi. I should put a care package together for you, his stuff is obscene.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Good point. I think the crispy coating also has to do with the starch the potatoes release when cooking as well. As long as you don't fry fish in fry oil it holds well for many days.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Favorite summer snack:

Ingredients;

Fresh heirloom tomatoes (from my garden)

Fresh basil (from my garden)

Fresh mozzarella cheese (local deli)

Garlic vinigar ( slice thinly fresh cloves and place in mason jar,pour normal vinegar over slices till jar is 3/4 full..shake vigorously a few times a day for 3 days ,done, and keeps forever in fridge...)

Ok now slice tomatoes and cheese ,about 1/4 inch thick.

Line plate with tomatoes, drizzle vinegar over tomatoes. Place one slice of cheese on each tomato then one leaf of basil on top of cheese. Refrigerate till chilled...

Enjoy! This extremely easy dish is cool and refreshing and healthy!

~meathead

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Good point. I think the crispy coating also has to do with the starch the potatoes release when cooking as well.

well, yeah...that.

But the soaps in the oil help prevent the soaking up of oil into the bread while frying. its just creates a superior texture. My favorite: fried croissants. They have the right kind of dough for making the best fried bread.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I have never fried a croissant and now oddly want to try it.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

make sure you have some powdered sugar and lemon juice to make the glaze with.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Yeah but was it palm oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, rapeseed oil, what´s common?
I´ve read somewhere, that the US//canada often use peanutoil, and because it´s not common (and also not cheap) here, that´s the difference between ours and yours.

The ones I devoured had that soft bite, a little bit moist from (honey inside the dough?) and a white creamy icing. There was a flavor it was yeast and something else. That´s supposed to be the peanutoil, I was told. I dislike filled donuts. Too much stuff, less material.

Edit: Yes, powdered sugar, lemon juice and maybe a very small amount of water for the glazing

edit on 19-8-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

donuts are yeasty if they are good.

Around here I think they use peanut oil because its cheap/available. But for the best of the best....lard.

I like a nice fried yeast roll donut quite a bit. If you wanna look up how Krispy Kreme does it, they are typically considered "the best" by the most Americans. Some food snobs likely have their little local places....but if you can make a krispy kreme quality donuts, you have achieved something special.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think this would be the perfect time to ask about cronuts. I never ate or saw one but there was an unbearable hype around them, here. People went nuts to get them. Isn´t it a mix of a croissant and a donut?

There´s also a story behind puff pastry dough, if that´s the right translation. Someone forgot the butter and franatically tried to roll it in afterwards. His problem: The dough was for the king and he was the king´s baker. He feared he´ll be punished but they all liked it and that´s how the dough was discovered.
Foul mouthes tell that, because of his sweat worked into the dough, salty butter was discovered also. But I dismiss this part

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

Ohhhhh Reese's! I use to keep them in my freezer with the M&Ms buuuut they disappeared so easily lol! I have a huge addiction to these but have had to cut way back on them. I buy the tiny bag of mini's on occasion and that's it now.

I can't think of too many people who don't love Reese's. I think the only one in this house that doesn't is the budget. They are ruinously expensive for what they are! You might catch a bag of them in our house around the big candy holidays, but otherwise the Reeses are few and far in between like most candy.

It's the strangest thing, but when you set a target budget for you groceries, that candy stuff never seems to find room in there with all the other good stuff, especially not when you can hit up Sprout's market and dig into their bulk bins and buy dried fruit and all kinds of nuts and things.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Mmmm, we have a local butcher shop that does charcuterie in house. They do a smoked, brined beef heart ... OMG! It's like jerky only not.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

the cronut thing is a NYC deal.

Although, as mentioned, I've never been ashamed of deep frying a croissant. its makes a superior texture to most donuts, IMO. I fry mine at about 360 in a cast iron skillet filled with 2 inches of whatever oil is handy. I like to throw butter into the oil, though....butter is the proper way to fry.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I skip the celery and go right for the spoonful! A glob of peanut butter can be quite satisfying

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

im a big fan of charcuterie. I prefer italian meats (coppacola, salami, etc). I like cheeses and olives, too. I really like marinated cheeses, like feta marinated in olive oil, garlic, and herbs de province. I snack on this quite a bit.

I love a crusty french loaf split and covered in herbs de province oil, then garlic butter on top of that.

Okay. None of that is junk food

I stopped myself from these types of replies once people started listing things like burgers and T-bones.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
I stopped myself from these types of replies once people started listing things like burgers and T-bones.

I hear you. Me and the Texan like a lot of the same stuff so I needed to tell me that eating salumi was not a bad thing.

As a matter of fact, I just had some.

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   

So I take it you're not a cold-vienna-sausage-right-out-of-the-can kind of guy huh?

posted on Aug, 19 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

i'd rather die.

seriously.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join