It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State Dept. says $400 million cash payment to Iran was contingent on American prisoners' release

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: StallionDuck

Nope

Unless you consider a court ruling ordering you to pay someone is ransom.

Obama negotiated and settled outside of the international court lowered the debt owed, they paid us billions for fighters we never made.

Not ransom.

We have to start calling a whole lot of negotiations ransom in many different fields by your definition.

This money was documented to be given totally seperate from any iranian diplomacy. Obama actually pulled a smart move for a change.

You're blinding yourself to the obvious.

Yes or no. No explanation needed. JUST a simple yes or no.

Was money handed over for hostages?

Was money involved in the hostage release?

Were hostages a condition for money?

A simple yes or no will do just nicely. No spin. Just yes or no.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
a reply to: luthier

The assets were not seized, they were frozen after Iran took Americans hostage in 1979.

There have beeen sanctions against the islamic dictatorship of iran ever since.

Those assets should have been given to the hostages decades ago,

That money was settled years ago. Iran has given 2.5 billion to private claims.

Please post a source for this claim.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
If we want to talk criminal dealings its us presidents nearly all of them since this iran crisis (which we hold some responisbility for internal meddling earlier leading to the revolution) and Saudi Arabia.

Even worse than Iran. Whahabi muslims and the house of saud.

Obama is about to shovel over a couple billion in new hardware there. But i doubt trump would do any different. He prob knows those guys personally.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
Trump right again.

And of course no apology from the Obama whitehouse or his lapdog media for calling Trump a liar.

Trump right again? If I post 100 lies Donald Trump has told over the last 100 days, will you stop pretending like he's not a liar? Is that what it will take?

Let's start with Trump's lie about seeing a video of the "money plane" that didn't exist. I'll be gracious and not count it as multiple lies even though he lied about it after his own campaign admitted it didn't exist.

Trump lie #1:

"It was interesting because a tape was made," Trump says of a nonexistent video of an unmarked plane dropping $400 million in Iran, reportedly at the same time Iran released four U.S. hostages. "You saw that with the airplane coming in — nice plane — the airplane coming in and the money coming off, I guess. Right?"

Trump first said he saw the "top secret" video, which he claimed Iran released to embarrass the U.S., during a rally in Daytona Beach, Florida, on Wednesday.

"Remember this: Iran — I don't think you heard this anywhere but here — Iran provided all of that footage, the tape of taking that money off the airplane," Trump said at the campaign event. "Right?"

If your biggest problem with presidential administrations is lying and your actively supporting Donald Trump, that's some pretty severe cognitive dissonance.

Yes, Trump is right again.
The money was released when the hostages were freed. That is a ransom payment regardless of whether there was a 40yr dispute over Iranian funds. It's really very simple. The US had possession and control of the money. Iran had possession and control of the hostages. They exchanged. To top it all off, the State Dept openly lied to the people and Obama knowingly held back this information when he gave his speech about 'the heartbreak he feels when talking to the families' and how all this "was already out in the open and known in January".
What a disgusting shower of human beings running America.
edit on 18/8/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Page one last post says link. Click it.

Here is an easier link.

www.washingtonpost.com... 21131_story.html?postshare=6911470254874098&tid=ss_tw
edit on 18-8-2016 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

a reply to: StallionDuck

Nope

Unless you consider a court ruling ordering you to pay someone is ransom.

Obama negotiated and settled outside of the international court lowered the debt owed, they paid us billions for fighters we never made.

Not ransom.

We have to start calling a whole lot of negotiations ransom in many different fields by your definition.

This money was documented to be given totally seperate from any iranian diplomacy. Obama actually pulled a smart move for a change.

You're blinding yourself to the obvious.

Yes or no. No explanation needed. JUST a simple yes or no.

Was money handed over for hostages?

Was money involved in the hostage release?

Were hostages a condition for money?

A simple yes or no will do just nicely. No spin. Just yes or no.

Well said - let's take the spin away from the masters of spin , Obama's executive branch, and just tell it like it is.
For those unable to bring themselves to answer simply and without spin, I'll do it for you...

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Years ago?

The american iranian hostages did not recieve compensation until late 2015, liar. And none of that money came from Iranian assets.

And no doubt that was due to Obama and Kerry secretly negotiating with the Iranian muslim terrorists to give them nukes.

edit on 18-8-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: dawnstar

Here's where it came from:

But still at issue as Obama began his second term was $400 million that Iran in the late 1970s had paid for U.S. fighter jets, while Tehran was still a U.S. ally. After it turned into an enemy in 1979, Washington was not about to deliver the jets. But, all these years later, Iran wanted its money back—and with interest.

All told, Tehran was asking The Hague arbitrators (comprising equal numbers of U.S., Iranian and neutral judges) for $10 billion. Fearing they might actually be awarded that much, or something like it, the Obama administration negotiated privately with Tehran, which agreed to settle for $1.7 billion. The $400 million stacked on pallets was the first installment.

Link.

So another $1.3b to go.

Apparently that $1.3bn has already been paid - it's just Obama won't say how it was paid.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Didnt you just say they were not compensated, i'd say that was a lie. I just got the date wrong.

When was the last time Iran attacked the US?

Did they fly planes into our buildings or was that our allies?

We created a coup when Iran was nationaonlizing their oil fields and kicking out BP. Pretty serious consequences resulted in all the greed.

I dont like Iran but making them villins is also a subversive tactic. Basically we are at war with them over stuff from the 40's and 50's for England and Israel. The blowback hit in 79.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
It is noticeable that as this story is breaking, the left wing news outlets have not reported it yet - no doubt coordinating a message.

Oh I see CNN have now reported it - as a secondary story.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

There is no story. Its an empty headline. No information suggests a giving of american assets to release hostages.

What do you think happened in operation homecoming? Vietnam just decided out of the goodness of their hearts to let go about 150 soldiers and let the us come pick them up? Or did the two sides use diplomacy and negotiate? How many people did the vietnamese kill? A lot more than iran has ever done to the us.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I said they should have been compensated decades ago using Iranian assets.

You said it was settled "years ago"

The hostages were finally paid a fraction of what thet deserve late last year after it was covertly slipped into the budget.

Washington (CNN)They have waited for more than 36 years. Now the Americans who were held hostage at the U.S. Embassy in Iran and/or their families will receive financial compensation for their ordeal, because of a little-noticed part of a budget bill passed last week by Congress.

www.cnn.com...

You said Iran paid them. Iran did not pay a dime. The money Came from fines imposed on banks violating sanctions against Iran (kind of like what obama and kerry were doing).

The hostages have never received any compensation from Iran through court actions, all efforts having failed due to foreign sovereign immunity and an executive agreement known as the Algiers Accords, which bars such lawsuits," stated a report in November from the Congressional Research Service.

The payments will come from penalties paid after some banks, including BN Paribas, were found violating American economic sanctions against Iran.

edit on 18-8-2016 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

There is no story. Its an empty headline. No information suggests a giving of american assets to release hostages.

What do you think happened in operation homecoming? Vietnam just decided out of the goodness of their hearts to let go about 150 soldiers and let the us come pick them up? Or did the two sides use diplomacy and negotiate? How many people did the vietnamese kill? A lot more than iran has ever done to the us.

Cash paid, prisoners come home. Ransom. I would be more inclined to believe the new story if it had been revealed two weeks ago, but they held this information back until the WSJ uncovered more information. lie after lie after lie. You can swallow it if you like.

It is indeed a story - now being covered by hundreds of news outlets. No hiding from Obama's cash for hostages deal.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982
Whilst parts of the US look more like Mogadishu than a first world superpower, $400 million is just pumped away!!!...

Jesus Christ the US government are a bunch of ass hats...

If you are a US citizen in Iran your net worth has just gone through the roof, DO NOT take local taxis anywhere..

RA

It wasn't American money anyway, though I would like it that Iran pay reparations, as they too have a De Facto history of killing innocents...but then those innocents that die never had a say in things anyway, probably never party to building big jets, or making bombs and booby traps, just going about their daily lives as best they could.
That's what sickens me about religious zealots, big business and the war machine, they don't give a feck, as long as they all look good on the world stage. So feck them all!
However, It is pretty clear that even the hostages were somebody's pawns, those that flew didn't go anywhere until a certain aircraft arrived, that being the one with the money. If you go with the reports, the plane taking the hostages home, was ready to go long before the plane with the money arrived, something that the state department did acknowledge but waffled on.
Apart from that, there are questions as to where this actual money came from, since it was 'Frozen' and perhaps safe to say that it was not in the treasury, unless it was 'unfrozen' very recently.

edit on 18-8-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Uh.

That was Irans money not going back to them. Seized assets.

Negotiations happening mean movement in a case on both sides. Nobody comes to the table with nothing.

We should have NEVER got involved politically in the ME. Israel shouldnt have beeb plopped down there in a crapstorm. Capitalism and bussiness would prob have advanced secularism if we didnt meddle with barabric tribal conflicts by propping them up and tearing them down.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

If more comes out. I will definetely be opposed to it. But there isnt jack sht for a story. Yet.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I can't believe people are still trying to defend this.

As I said in the other thread. . .

I'd like to see every member that stated that it wasn't ransom come on this thread and apologize.

I'd also like a unicorn that poops gold coins.

Guess which one I'll see first.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

I am not an Obama fan. Call it ransom or whatever you want but 3 Americans are home safe with their families.

I don't have a problem with that.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
400 million? big whoop. My state Michigan has spent 2 million just trying to figure out who is responsible for the Flint water debacle.

400 is a drop in the bucket these days.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I can't believe people are still trying to defend this.

As I said in the other thread. . .

I'd like to see every member that stated that it wasn't ransom come on this thread and apologize.

I'd also like a unicorn that poops gold coins.

Guess which one I'll see first.

It's amazing.. Obama could be caught with an eye mask, a striped shirt and a bag of loot crossing the Iranian border and all he'd have to do as the helicopter spotlighted him from above would be to shout up... "it's not really me, this is not real" and he'd be in the clear to some people.

The fact the story keeps shifting to accommodate the latest evidence tells you everything you need to know about Obama and his administration. Lie , lie, lie , deny , deny , deny.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join