It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alton Sterling Witness: Cops Took My Phone, My Surveillance Video, Locked Me Up . possible

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
so the plot thins, or thickens ... depending on your views.

maybe this is why there is a 'us vs. them ' rampant mentality.

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana — The owner of the convenience store where Alton Sterling was killed last week by cops alleges in a lawsuit that police stole surveillance video from his shop, confiscated his cell phone, and locked him inside a car for the next four hours.
“I told them I would like to be in the store when [they took it],” Muflahi told The Daily Beast, adding that he also demanded they get a warrant for the seizure of his private property.

Officers didn’t even file an application for a search warrant, The Daily Beast found last week. Nor did Muflahi sign a “Voluntary Consent to Search Form” with the Baton Rouge police.

After taking away Muhlafi’s cellphone — and the damning video on it — Lt. Robert Cook and Officer Timothy Ballard locked the him in the back of a police car for the next four hours, the lawsuit claims. The only time Muhlafi was let out was when he had to use the restroom.

source

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
You are correct.

This is why nobody trust the police anymore.

They do this to themselves. Truth is never bad. We can handle it.

This is why conspiracies like "No plane into the Pentagon" persist-because those video tapes were also confiscated. If there is nothing to hide, then don't hide anything. Simple really.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Who is determining these facts?

Where is the proof of these facts?

Eyewitnesses are the worst source of accurate information.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Why I don't trust sensationalized media.

For petes sake most of these guys have questionable pasts.

www.weaselzippers.us...

heavy.com... ting-blane-salamoni-howie-lake-shot-charges-video-youtube-facebook-watch/

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Why I don't trust sensationalized media.

For petes sake most of these guys have questionable pasts.

www.weaselzippers.us...

heavy.com... ting-blane-salamoni-howie-lake-shot-charges-video-youtube-facebook-watch/

we're not questioning the past of the purp, we're questioning the virtue of those cops.

the man wasn't charged of anything, but he is dead. can't stand trial.

both the cops and the victim are innocent until proven guilty.

the Leo's culpability is what is in question. we don't need explanations for truths. if there is nothing to hide then so be it. if time is needed to see how thus can be played out, then the police arent helping reassuring all citizens they are here to protect and seize all.

if the police aren't guilty of anything why seize illegally material which may incriminate them.
edit on 11-7-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

It doesn't take much to figure out why a guy with a history of aggravated battery /domestic violence got shot.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

It doesn't take much to figure out why a guy with a history of aggravated battery /domestic violence got shot.

I don't think that's an argument that will stand in a court of law in the United States of America.
just in online banter.

there's a thing called the law. Leo's need not only uphold, but follow as well.

how can you uphold the law while breaking it in a more conniving and sneaky cowardly way.
that purp had a history of brushes with the law, but I'd be more afraid of cops who obstruct justice to save their own skin.

the most dangerous people are those with nothing to lose, and those with everything to lose.
in this case, it seems only one party falls in the above categories.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
neo96

Because of overzealous militarized police?

No wait, it's justified because he had a thick criminal record, I forgot.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It was all over the freaking news that the cops took the convenience store videos and were trying to get all the cell phones from ALL people in the area who may have captured this event. Not exactly a secret and pretty much SOP.

And a guess would be they probably made him stay in the car for his safety as a witness. Good luck to him with his lawsuit.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Video is evidence and evidence can be seized/collected per the investigation, can't it?

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

Video is evidence and evidence can be seized/collected per the investigation, can't it?

iTruthSeeker

true. yes they can.
but this case probably not.

To prove that a search is "reasonable," the police must generally show that it is more likely than not that a crime has occurred, and that if a search is conducted it is probable that they will find either stolen goods or evidence of the crime. This is called probable cause.

In some situations, the police must first make this showing to a judge who issues a search warrant. In many special circumstances, however, the police may be able to conduct a search without a warrant. In fact, the majority of searches are "warrantless."

as per the law.
what was the crime which committed here?
the lawsuit would have been dismissed immediately if there was no wrong doing.

if there's nothing to hide, then there's nothing to hide, no?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Another funny thing is that the guy who posted the cell phone video of the incident/shooting was arrested just outside Atlanta (where he lives) over unpaid traffic tickets ($1200 worth) while going to work. It sounds like they also tried to get him for assault.

This is why so many people can't stand cops, and why good cops speak out so rarely. # with them and they will make your life hell. While this guy DID have these unpaid tickets, it's very convenient it happened now.

Chris LeDay, the Georgia man who first posted a video of Alton Sterling being shot to death by police, says he was detained by police the next day.

According to Carlos Miller, writing for Photography Is Not a Crime, LeDay works as an aerospace ground equipment technician at Dobbins Air Reserve Base in Marietta, Georgia. While attempting to walk through a checkpoint to get to work, he was stopped and detained by “at least ten military police officers with guns, including a few with M-16s, all of them surrounding him in case he tried to make a run for it,” Miller reports.

LeDay said that, during the course of his arrest, he was first told he was picked up on suspicion of assault and battery and then that the charges related to unpaid parking tickets.

Alternet
[url=https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2016/07/10/man-who-posted-alton-sterling-shooting-video-arrested-24-hours-later-on-fabricated-charges/]PINAC[/ url]

# the police.

edit on 11-7-2016 by Liquesence because: add'l link, and html has a bug

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Eyewitnesses are the worst source of accurate information.

Isn't that people who claim to have been eyewitnesses but weren't?

Surveillance video has fixed this problem in that new eyewitnesses can now emerge on demand.

The problem pointed out in the OP is that a public service is inveigling and obfuscating information that is privately owned, as a matter of procedure.

This is intolerable and a symptom of a decadent society.
The owner of the footage has a right to keep or share this data with the public, even if an obligation to share with public services would make sense.

As long as said public service members can be selected to be worthy of the public's trust, which isn't always as evident as it should.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

While this guy DID have these unpaid tickets, it's very convenient it happened now.

I highly doubt they wasted the resources and investigative time and energy to find this guy, just so they could stop him for his outstanding tickets. But of course, anything is possible.

# with them and they will make your life hell.

So if a person knows or thinks that F'n with a cop will ruin their day, why F with the cops? Messing with a bee hive will ruin your day, and that is why I do not mess with one.

iTruthSeeker
edit on 11-7-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

IIRC this isnt the first time that a witness has been arrested after filming police kill someone.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

So if a person knows or thinks that F'n with a cop will ruin their day, why F with the cops? Messing with a bee hive will ruin your day, and that is why I do not mess with one.

Methinks this be a case of the beehive stealing someone's #.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
From the source.

Who is determining these facts?

Where is the proof of these facts?

During the four hours inside a cop car and another two hours at police headquarters, Muhlafi was allegedly prevented from making a phone call to his family or an attorney.

Muhlafi is suing Salamoni, Lake, Cook, and Ballard as well as the City of Baton Rouge and police chief Carl Dabadi. The lawsuit seeks damages for “false arrest, false imprisonment, the illegal taking and seizing of his security system, illegally commandeering his business,” attorney Joel Porter told The Daily Beast on Monday.

So it is from his law suit.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad

IIRC this isnt the first time that a witness has been arrested after filming police kill someone.

Certainly isn't, and those cases are difficult to document (because documentation is stolen by bees).

Got one off the top of your head?

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: wisvol

I think I remember a witness to the Freddie Gray case being arrested afterwards.

Google is filtering the searches so it's hard to find sources.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

I highly doubt they wasted the resources and investigative time and energy to find this guy, just so they could stop him for his outstanding tickets. But of course, anything is possible.

I'm sure it wasn't that hard to "find" him, as it's not like he was hiding. Question is: why did this happen so quickly after he posted it? Hence the rest of my post.

I'm not sure you understand the larger context. I don't simply mean messing with cops on the street or when having an encounter with them. I'm talking about retaliation by cops against people, and coming down on people because they dared stand up, assert their legal rights, or speak out against or expose corruption. Hell, even when people assert their rights on the street and get the contempt of cop treatment. Not only citizens who have dared to stand and speak up, but this includes good cops who have dared to speak against their fellow corrupt officers and who were retaliated against. Here is one example ATS thread. They are held to a higher standard, and as LEO, they are public servants; if they can't hold themselves accountable, it's the citizens' duty to hold them accountable.

Why was this guy so conveniently arrested within a couple of days of posting this video??? It's enough to make one pause and think.

Lastly, I don't mean # with them as is provoking just to provoke, but exposing the corruption within the ranks if one is witness to or has evidence of the corruption. Someone has to speak against injustice and expose injustice and corruption.

Indifference or ignoring the problem does not help solve the problem but allows it continue and grow worse.
edit on 11-7-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join