It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'X' removed From Windows 10 Update, Nagware causes potential disaster in remotest Africa

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I got a new computer a week ago because the old one was nearly 10 years old and was dying a slow, painful, messy death. It came with Windows 10 already installed. The old one started with XP and I upgraded to Vista then Windows 7 when it became necessary.

I was dreading having to deal with a new OS as I learned from past experience that nothing goes as planned or is easy. But to be honest, so far Windows 10 has been relatively problem free. (One problem I'm having is that my Firefox homepage keeps changing to Bing which is pissing me off.)

But to be on the safe side, I've got virtual machines installed for XP, Win 7, and Ubuntu so I can run just about any software that is platform specific.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The example you put forth in the OP is something I never thought of because I do not live in that way of life. I suspect MS didn't think of it either. Well, maybe they did and didn't care. I don't know, but it's pretty awful to think about!

I am one of them who kept declining to install win10, but one night I left my computer for about 5 minutes and when I came back it was installing it. I got taken with the tactic that the x didn't work as planned.
"Previously, closing this window would correctly signal that you do not want the upgrade. So Microsoft didn’t change the wording in the window. It didn’t make an “Upgrade now” button bigger, or a non-existent “don’t ever upgrade” button smaller. It pulled a switcheroonie. It’s like going out to your car in the morning and discovering that the gas pedal now applies the brakes, while the brake pedal washes the windshield."

I can't even believe that they thought people wouldn't be so angered by this tactic! I was so angry, I left my laptop to go to our ancient desktop which I still do use for some stuff and looked up how that could have happened because I never wanted 10 and I just kept closing the windows to prompt me to install. That's when I found that so many others are having the same issue.... So, when it was done, I figured wth I'll just see if I can get used to it and revert back in the 30 days if I wanted to. But! I was freaked out when I couldn't find my files anywhere. All my pictures, music, movies, etc. (I do have a lot backed up on external drive, but I don't stay on top of it sometimes). I even searched by name and nothing came up. I was exhausted (I was about to go to bed when I saw it installing, but was so angry, there was no way I wanted to go to bed and deal with it the next day) and angry, I was freaking out to think all my stuff was gone. So, I promptly reverted back to 7, (took maybe 1/2 hour) and there everything was just the way I had it. I got lucky I guess, because I've heard of people having things go wrong with the reverting back to the previous version they had.

Sorry to ramble. I just wrote more than I planned to.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
From what I have seen, computers with Home versions have different ways of reacting to the update, as my sister's computer has Windows 7 Professional and she just ignores the update screen, while this week, at the company I work, we got three clients with automatic upgrades, and one of them apparently complained about the X not meaning "No".

What's a fact is that closing a dialogue box by clicking the "X" was never meant as answering "No" or "Cancel", it's an ambiguous answer, so it's not surprise they removed it from the dialogue box now.

PS: I have been running Windows 10 on my home computer since August 2015 and got the first big update last weekend, and it not only solved the only problem I had (more than 1040 items on the start menu would make the start menu show only a handful of items) but it's also faster.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
It's not Microsofts responsibility to configure individual systems. They make software which has defaults and need to be configured by a professional for the task at hand. For example, I wouldn't go in remote areas without a backup laptop, spare batteries, solar panels, spare communications devices, a pendrive with an OS on it I know I can depend on (linux). The defaults are simply chosen based on the users, the majority of users will do fine with defaults and a minority has to do some configuring. Like someone in a remote area might want to have a very conservative power scheme instead while a gamer might want to put that to high performance. Someone dealing with confidential information might have to harden their system, if there would be a hack it shouldn't be blamed on Microsoft but the systems administrator (who usually pass the blame to MS, but not when things go great then it's because of the systems administrator lol).

It's like buying a car, crashing it because of poor maintenance and then blaming the car maker. While the car maker has said the car needs maintenance, too bad there was no money for it but then it is unusable, tough luck but that is the way it is. Those in the article didn't know how to configure what they were using nor knew anybody who could and the encountered problems.

Sure MS could have options during installation which would allow the user to choose between presets like what the use will be, but that would also give expectations to users and false sense of security even, it would have other problems and it's easier to leave it out and let skilled people do it per case.

Other OS's can be upgraded over the internet just like Windows so that would be the same for remote areas, in this case I do agree Microsoft should have made it easier to turn down their free offer. I changed the registry and I never had any problems with the upgrade nagging but editing the registry is something unknown to novices. I couldn't upgrade even though I have decent hardware, the manufacturer chose not to make drivers for the chipsets and I'll just have to wait until my next system. Which I don't mind at all, it's better to have a tested and developed OS while MS further develops the next one. Usually after a servicepack is the best time to switch to the new OS even though MS did do a decent job on 10, better than previous editions.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I bit the bullet and upgraded my Windows 7 to 10 after spending a year procrastinating and worrying about stability and privacy concerns.

I'm glad I upgraded now, 10 is so nice and clean and just as easy to use. I had no issues with drivers or anything, I turned off most of the Microsoft reporting features and I actually think I have noticed a performance increase on both my PC and network.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Microsoft royally alienated it's users.

The should have just kept a desktop version like Win 7.

And offer the Tablet version Win 10. That's who it was geared towards.

I absolutely love win 7.

Think its their best os ever.

STILL does everything I need it to.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

despite the intrusions into privacy leveled at win 10,,,& just not acknowledging the costly add-on Apps & tricky features that will nickle-&-dime the user to death...

I too agonized for a year to FREE upgrade my 8,1 to 10 because it has been announced that Support will expire (2017) just like my old HP desktop with the loveable XP

the way I see it...Win 10 is the benchmark that all OS will be slogged with...a lot of intrusions masked as nice crap (but ain't)

I also skirt around the home-grown-terror-advocate label by using Win 10 because I should see some performance problems arising because the Win 10 platform is compliant with all the social media snitch-works being deployed to keep tabs on those the Administrations deem home-grown agitators

all those Win 10 built in Apps to their 'cloud' are sitting idle on my unit...the built-in camera is non functional, etc

I am engaged in creating the personal profile of being peaceful but opinionated, unthreatening and mid-level IQ'd and generally having an Alibi so as to keep me from deportation to a FEMA Re-education camp

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Windows 98 ( Laptop) Windows XP SP2 ( Laptop ) Windows Xp SP3 ( my most Used Desk Top )
Windows 7 ( newer Desk Top ) Windows 8,1 Newest ( Desk Top )

Does anyone I still Have Dos 3.0 Does 5.0 Dos 6.22. Windows 1.0 LOL Windows 3.0 , Windows 3.11, Windows 95
Windows 2000 Windows NT Linux Various Versions, Lindows , my Favorite Zorin x ,
Apple OS 9 & OS x ..

so does anyone still use XP .. Hell there s quite a few company's to Businesses that still use Windows XP!!!
although its no Longer Updated,,, 15 fricken years .. and still running ..

I think the Best Alternative from what i read is Zorin OS 11

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
If you want to get rid of it just follow these directions:

www.howtogeek.com...

Scroll down to the links to the "Never 10" software. I used it on my stationary computer, you don't even need to install it or anything, download the file, click it and push a button on the software. Nothing to install.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Can't force windows 10 on Linux.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I've not bought a version of Windows since I started building pcs
. But when formatted 10 I had to crazy # just to disable the surveillance bs they put in, even disabling auto updates is rediculios. Tis the reason I don't buy Windows. I'll use it them for free though

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I've had one installation on Windows 7 working for two years now with ALL updates switched off without any problems at all,it's as fast now as it was back then.I think that a lot of people think they MUST have updates switched on because if they don't the earth will stop turning and the devil will take their souls,or at least that's what Microsoft would have us believe.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Microsoft royally alienated it's users.

The should have just kept a desktop version like Win 7.

And offer the Tablet version Win 10. That's who it was geared towards.

I absolutely love win 7.

Think its their best os ever.

STILL does everything I need it to.

I would have agreed with that right up until I tried Windows 10. It's just as good as 7, even better in some aspects.

Oh and 10 on a PC comes with desktop standard, not like 8 where you had to click into it.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Install linux,
choose freedom over tyranny.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dr X
Install linux,
choose freedom over tyranny.

I already chose freedom, I installed what I wanted and not what other people told me to install.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Great enjoy your NSA, spyware, key-logging experience. Nice choice.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dr X
Great enjoy your NSA, spyware, key-logging experience. Nice choice.

It is my choice, and that's what matters to me.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
well it is a free world
for now ...

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Stop using microsoft products, switch to Linux.

a reply to: cuckooold

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sadface
Stop using microsoft products, switch to Linux.

a reply to: cuckooold

Why,because some complete stranger on the internet told me to? Will Photoshop and all those other programs I use a LOT work with Linux?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join