It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large meteor possibly hits in Arizona

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
a reply to: HarryJoy

That is very cool, I bet you were shocked?

Yes !!! In my mind I was thinking...." here we go....we are finally gonna get hit". I just didn't know how big or bad it would be. I was relieved when it burned out. But I definitely had a front row seat....yaaaaahooooo !!
edit on 2-6-2016 by HarryJoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Not many people will ever experience an event like this. Wish I saw it too!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Not many people will ever experience an event like this. Wish I saw it too!

I knew it was a significant sighting but I wasn't sure if I would hear anything about it or not .....I was actually a little surprised when I saw it posted on here but I shouldn't have been... Because I could tell it was a lot closer call than normal.

I drive a semi truck Coast to Coast from Candler North Carolina out to the West Coast and back with my daughter who's 29 she just recently got her CDL and I had promised her if she ever was successful at getting her CDL..... I would drive with her over the road until she got trained.. We ended up finding a company down in North Carolina that would let us run together and we just started a couple of months ago. We had left San Bernardino at 2 a.m. eastern time and headed for Candler. We have to run Eastern time zone log because our home base of operation is in the Eastern Time Zone.

I know alot of that is irrelevant to the subject. .But I figured I would give some background on how I ended up being in the right place at the right time.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Your a good father to do this with your daughter. That is a nice story. You were close to me. I live in LA.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Your a good father to do this with your daughter. That is a nice story. You were close to me. I live in LA.

Well......I'm sure she would say otherwise at times. ....I can be a very critical father. ..at times. I hope to learn to be more tactful and less harsh with her.

We go to San Bernardino quite often. The company has a warehouse there. I can't say that I envy anyone that lives in L A.....sorry but CA in general just isn't my cup of tea. Although I was born there.....in Mt View.

It is nice to know that an outstanding member of ATS is in the area though. ...thanks for sharing that. I will remember it.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
Love the difference between Russians and Yanks. The incredible meteorite flies over Chelyabinsk and none of the drivers who witness is first hand utter a single word in their videos. No big deal eh? (of course, i know it was)

One possibly flies over Arizona and before we have confirmation, we already have people taking about it making the ground shake, hitting the gerund, the smell etc...

Don't take my comment as criticism, its just a funny how different nationalities react

Ha! I've always been fascinated by the differences in reactions by culture as well. I imagine a driver (Yuri) witnessing the Chelyabinsk meteor on the phone pause for a second, "what is it, Yuri?" Yuri: "Is nothing, large meteor. You have tickets to hockey game?" It would be fun to consider the different things different cultures would consider completely unworthy of reaction and those which would send them over the top with emotion and how diametrically opposed some of them can be.

Most of those were on car dash cams that is part of the difference.

Over 200 reports now
www.amsmeteors.org...

Just a North Korean Missile test.

edit on 2-6-2016 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Man in those pics at that azfamily link are stunning. It looks like the things signed it's name in the sky. That is from a meteor? Looks like an advanced plane did some sky writing in cursive! Amazing... If you smelled it it might have landed near by if it did not completely burn up. Go find that thing, might be worth a fortune.

Nice find! Great experience! Do fun to get woken up by explosions, reminds me of my dear Drill sergeant throwing the metal trash bin down the hall way to wake us up. a reply to: HAZE3

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
As usual, something momentous occurs in the usually placid Arizona, and I was sleeping.

There will be some great (profitable) chunks of space rock to collect, though, and triangulating the debris field should be simple once the images/directions/area are collated.

So here's hoping a larger chunk isn't zeroing in as we type.

Eat, drink and be merry...

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

Spaceweather reports meteorite hunters are scouring the area north of Tuscon for fragments. I'm sure they didn't waste any time!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I saw one at 0450 in Placitas NM it changed from white, to green, then red. I didnt hear it impact. It was between me
and the Sandia Mountains.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
As usual, something momentous occurs in the usually placid Arizona, and I was sleeping.

There will be some great (profitable) chunks of space rock to collect, though, and triangulating the debris field should be simple once the images/directions/area are collated.

So here's hoping a larger chunk isn't zeroing in as we type.

Eat, drink and be merry...

I was in a good location to be able to give you a north-to-south fix at least to some degree ....I was headed pretty much due east on I-40 right at the California Arizona line and the meteor was traveling from the North to the South descending at about a 45 degree angle from my perspective......of course I would have to estimate an altitude that it was at when it was in line with the highway in front of me which would be very difficult to do.

I watched some of the videos of it posted and from my perspective it wasn't nearly as brilliantly white it was a yellow orange looking like flames but there were two definite explosions as it was coming down the first one bigger than the second ......I suppose for obvious reasons.
edit on 2-6-2016 by HarryJoy because: add

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Huh. maybe between Holbrook and Show Low?

Where were the folks reporting debris?

Something that size will leave a long trail, but from the two explosions, there are likely at least two major fields.

I wish I had the time to collect the data and go looking!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
If we could determine an altitude that meteorites typically start showing up at....that point occurred slightly to the north side of the highway. From my perspective.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

We'd have to know exactly which way you were facing.. .I-40 goes generally East-West, but it IS twisty! The area near the border bends N-W to S-E, so the field could be further South... closer to Phoenix, maybe.

Hmmm ... could be pretty close to Meteor Crater (better name would be Meteorite Crater, actually)... luckily a far smaller rock.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Yes I would say that would be a good estimate as far as the North to Southward I was looking on the map and yes around the Snowflake area but as far as where it was east to west we would have to get some reports of people that saw it coming directly towards them or going directly away from them

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Well, count yourself VERY lucky to see that, as well as the folks under it that it was only truck sized, and likely rocky instead of iron-nickle... I'm an avid skywatcher and have only seen a handful of bolides, and nothing so spectacular.

So cool on you!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

Next time I go through there I will take note of exactly which way I was headed. You are right that it makes some twists and turns. It looks on the map to be pretty much due east right at the border. ...but I will verify that.

That's assuming I make it back there. ....life has no guarantees....

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

How big would the pieces even be?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

How big would the pieces even be?

I'm sorry......but I have no idea. I expect it would be very difficult to find any at all. Unless someone could pinpoint an EXACT location. I think we are just mostly having fun speculating about it but I'm sure the odds of actually finding a piece would be astronomical.....but you know how boys are they like to daydream about things like that...and yes I'm speaking of myself primarily.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Lol, it's funny I live on the beach and I see people with metal detectors all the time. Could you imagine someone doing the same thinking it has metal in it

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join