It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

game of thrones : the hodor ` back story ` rant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
WTF - just WTF ????????????????

it was an amazing scene [ to watch ]

but it just felt so dammed sloppily shoehorned in that it made my head hurt

based on the ages of the actors [ as timeline is ` less than specific ` ]

a lot of people " should " have been aware of hodors back story

ser rodrik cassel , measter ulwin , benjin stark , eddard stark , catlyn stark , etc etc

but the hordor " transformation " seems to have been unknown

bran wouldnt have been aware of it - as it predated even his birth

but it just came across as sloppy

please be carefull with spoliers - as not everyone has seen S6 - and its a scene that its best if you dont know whats coming

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I haven't watched the TV series at all, only read the books. However, I've read some stuff on this, and I have to say, if they did what some of the articles are claiming, then they just opened up a very messy can of worms all over that series. The plot device they may have unleashed is seldom used very well and often creates far more questions than it answers.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
It struck me too, how no-one ever mentioned that there was a boy "before" Hodor.
But, I really have to say this, I like this conclusion. It just seems to fit right into the whole "magic world, undeads, dragons, wise trees"-setting.

And it made me sad. #nomorespoilers

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I only watch the tv series have never read the books. So to answer your question i think the people that have not read the books far outweigh the ones that have. Thus why it was such a surprise to people.

I loved the scene to be honest, it fitted in nicely with everything and was a sad scene to be honest.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I thought it was rather corny and disappointing

*spoiler alert*

It also seems silly now that Bran has the capability to influence the past and thus change the whole timeline of the story

I enjoyed the high fantasy aspect with magic, dragons, undead it wasn't over the top and was done subtle and it works in the setting

But travelling through time ? That ruins it all so I hope Bran gets killed before he masters his powers and goes back to stop the children of the forest creating the white walkers and then goes on to change the rest of the timeline in order to help his family

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

It struck me too, how no-one ever mentioned that there was a boy "before" Hodor.

Old Nan does say it, she said his name was Walder and someday he just started saying hodor and nothing else, i don't remember if it says something like that in the series, but it was known from the first book

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Apprently the Hodor back story was always intended by George RR Martin. It one of the few plot lines for the future he decided upon.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

All the others in the past know is he had a fit and started shouting Hodor.

They dont know why or what caused it.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
If you watch the Inside the Episode after each episode the Dave's talk about them getting that specific story line from George Martin directly. They talk about meeting with him and basically getting all the details of how the books play out. Can you imagine how many fans wish they could get in their heads..

It wasn't a plot device that was created for the show but rather what was intended all along as per the author.

Additionally for people complaining about that , it's a fantasy book where dragons, magic and other things take place. Not sure why the line is drawn on one thing but not the others.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Think from what i read George RR gave them 3 major plot twists for the end. This was the first.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Think from what i read George RR gave them 3 major plot twists for the end. This was the first.

How many fans do you think wish they could get in their heads right now to get those other twists...

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: crazyewok

How many fans do you think wish they could get in their heads right now to get those other twists...

Im pretty sure one of the othesr is that Jon snow is Rhaegar and Lyanna starks child. Ned hid his Nephew as a bastard to protect him from Roberts purges of all the Tragaryen threats.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

That's not it, to get the show GRRM asked D&D who was the mother of Jon Snow in 2003, the plot twist they called "WTF" moments was given around 2008, could not be too much WTF in 2008 if they knew from 2003

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I haven't watched the TV series at all, only read the books. However, I've read some stuff on this, and I have to say, if they did what some of the articles are claiming, then they just opened up a very messy can of worms all over that series. The plot device they may have unleashed is seldom used very well and often creates far more questions than it answers.

Spoilerish below:

Assuming you're referring to the process commonly known as "TT." I don't think it's going to quite be all-out TT, but rather some small degree of influence, the whispers in the wind we've already heard, rather than a direct hand. Time will tell.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
There was never a moment that made enough sense to explain Hodors past.
Ned wasn't in Winterfell anymore either.

Hodor was just there to help out bran, and it seems as if he was never curious about him at the time. Especially since all he had in his mind was the 3 eyed raven thing. & it's not like it's Bran's first time with Hodor. He won't just randomly ask "Who's Hodor"? Then when Hodor did become a more involved character, nobody there knew of his history, since it was just the wildling girl, bran, hodor, and the other 2 kids (forgot their names);so nobody knew what his past was, and nobody could explain it.

Now that we've recently been reunited with a character from past episodes that knows more of Hodor, Bran may ask questions and will learn about Hodors past.
edit on 31-5-2016 by Kuroodo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
.....and then there's the fricken DRAGONS.... which don't exist, so that makes no sense at ALL, and why even put them in there!

It's fairy tale. It's fun. I thought it was a cool element of the story.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Would've made more sense for Bran to go back in time, tell himself not to climb the window and then he could've just ran away without having to turn his friend into a dimwitted simpleton for the rest of his life.

He really is a crap human being.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Well, anything Bran does in the past has already happened (as made evident by hodor always been able to only say hodor), so he cant just undo the white walkers or anything and the paradox already happened.

I cant say I am a huge fan of whats going on with that plotline..its all over the place. I have yet to be convinced of his relevance in anything. Kaleesi flying a dragon in and burning all the white walkers seems perfectly acceptable a solution to the problem at hand..no need for warg boy to posess a tree frog in order to remember his grandmothers birthday so that he can influence a apple to plant a seed and yadda yadda...did they hire moffat?

How bout that Arya though...
Also
You reckon The Hound died?

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
You reckon The Hound died?

The big theory is he is the Gravedigger on The Quiet Isle and may return to battle the Mountain in Cersei's trial by combat.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Exactly, apparently people need to go back and re-read parts of the books. Especially...

everything that happens with Bran after he meets the three-eyed raven. It's not time travel. Back to Hodor though... Martin doesn't seem to ever tell anything irrelevant, if it seems obscure or just scene dressing chances are it will come back later as huge. The whole scene was so sad.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join