It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Silverback Gorilla shot at Cincinnati Zoo, after child falls into enclosure

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I am sorry I am computer illiterate or I would share a link from WILDErness in Cincinnati,OH

It is titled VIDEO: Gorilla grabs child who·s fallen into habitat.

If some kind computer savvy wizard would find and post the link on here I would be very grateful.

At the Cincinnati Zoo today a 3or4 year old child crawled into an opening and fell onto the moat surrounding the habitat. A male gorilla grabbed the boy, was dragging an d throwing him, Zoo employees shot him

Stories vary saying the gorilla was being protective , I wasn't able to see the video good enough in the small box my Kindle gives me to form an opinion

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Here's a link

I got you boo.

Couple of things. Whoever was watching that child is a f***ktard. Enclosures to dangerous animals shouldn't be accessible to children that young, at ALL. I agree it was the right thing to do, but I really question the zoo if a 4 year old could just crawl in.

You know kids are going to be there. You know parents sometimes suck. This is common sense stuff.
edit on 2820160520161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Thank you so much, I honestly tried, May have been able to figure it out if I had been at my computer but it just was not working on my Kindle

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
really sad. I take my kids to the bronx zoo every few years and the congo exhibit is so amazing because you can get so close, but very safe, it is impossible to get into the gorillas from the viewing area

this zoo is also poorly designed it would seem

edit to add I just watched the video. harambe was protecting the child. this is a tragedy. I don't blame the response team, one moment and the child is dead, and those parents are going through enough right now, but goshdang shame on them for letting this happen

harambe meant no harm

awful
edit on 28-5-2016 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I get (as a parent to a not quite 2 year old,) children will get into shenanigans if you're not looking.

But you are correct that whomever was looking over this child at this time was negligent.
I feel sorry for the parents, but I feel worse for the zoo, and the folks who witnessed this.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Really want to get a better look at the video. I am in Cincinnati, and of course social media is blowing up around here. With all different opinions. Some say the gorilla was being protective, and from the soundtrack it sounds like a few others thought that might be the case, and were attempting to calm child and crowd down, so as to not further agitate the gorilla.

But of course in this situation there was not a lot of time to weigh options. A child's life was at stake.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: gypsycat

Thank you so much, I honestly tried, May have been able to figure it out if I had been at my computer but it just was not working on my Kindle

Don't feel bad. I just figured out yesterday how to post a video.

ATS search. Prepare for next time.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Things shouldn't be designed for the entertainment of people especially retards. You just can't make things idiot proof no matter what you do. remember the guy that accidentally almost drank a cup of gasoline thinking it was liquor? Yeah he spit it out knowing it was gasoline and was so shaken up he needed to smoke, guess what happened?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: gypsycat

I visit the Cincinnati Zoo several times a year and have neighbors that have a season pass. This is a sad story all around.

The parents and the zoo are are fault. The parents should have been watching the child, but how are their openings in the habitat that a child can crawl through?

edit on 2016/5/28 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   

No problem.

In the few snippets of video he actually does appear to be protective and gentle. I know someone said he tossed the child. Honestly though if he WAS being protective what are you going to do? You can't risk it. You can't risk a tranq gun, that's not instantaneous as far as I know, and might have pissed the poor guy off, resulting in the kid being hurt.

I have a very friendly dog that loves kids. I make sure my fence is buttoned up, and just a few weeks ago had a talk with the neighborhood kids and told them not to pet my dog through the fence (even though he loves them). He could accidentally scratch one jumping on the fence, knock a board loose hurting one, accidentally land on a finger trying to pet him through a crack etc. I'm not a freaking zoo, I don't have a legal team, I don't have risk management, and again we're talking the difference between a sweet border collie that has proven time and again he loves kids and a 400 + pound gorilla that could rip a full grown man in half and is extremely unpredictable.

The zoo was negligent here. Ended up costing a beautiful animal it's life, and potentially costing a young boy his. One of the few times where I hope a place gets sued. The way it was described it sounds like the kid basically ducked under a wire fence. Blaming the parents less if that's all it took. That's 5 seconds or less of not paying attention.

I'm thinking about the gorilla enclosure at the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle that I went to probably 10 times a year as a child, and the gorilla enclosure there to my recollection would be just about impossible for a kid under 10 to access.
edit on 2820160520161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

My first suspension from elementary school involved me going on a field trip to the Philadelphia zoo with an electronic dog whistle I borrowed from a neighbor. I never thought about crawling into the cage with an animal I was intending to upset when I was 8 years old. Apparently kids these days are to dumb to be depraved lol jk ( I am very cynical sorry)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I saw this story earlier.
This exhibit has been open some 30 years without incident.
I think the parent or guardian of this child is negligent.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Onesmartdog
I saw this story earlier.
This exhibit has been open some 30 years without incident.
I think the parent or guardian of this child is negligent.

Something doesn't seem right.

I think there's more to this story.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I think there's more to this story.

It's all us feminized males. Father and mother were distracted and sharing lipstick. Mandela effect.

I hope there is more to the story. It's hard to believe the zoo would be that negligent. But also, is it that hard to believe? A sad reality is that it takes an incident to spur change. Risk management and insurance are about the bottom line.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Definitely seen some parents completely oblivious.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

When are you bringing back your joker cat avatar, I only recognize your posts as legit when I see the avatar?

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   

I m happy for gorilla. Now she is at peace. And those Nazi zoo keepers have one animal less to torture.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I have a feeling you would have gone all super granny and hopped in too.

Here's the deal. If you and me are ever hanging out with a kid that falls into a gorilla enclosure, I'm going to hop in, challenge the ape, when it starts beating me to a bloody pulp, you hop in, throw the kid out and scold that sombitch while it eats my eyes. You scold him good! Turn him silver all over.

Give the parents a good scolding for me if I don't make it (I probably won't make it). Is it weird that I don't doubt my parents would have jumped in too? That poor gorilla if they did.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Go all super granny on him.
Heh.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Pain in my ass.

I missed him.

ETA: If anyone can find the post where someone told me I was gay for putting lipstick on my cat I will be very grateful.
edit on 2920160520161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join