It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Silverback Gorilla shot at Cincinnati Zoo, after child falls into enclosure

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: Brotherman

Phage is awesome. Be nice to Phage.

I appreciate the Phage, I just want to encourage him to lean to the dark side once in awhile, generally the dark side is generally more amusing. This guy once tried to explain my scruples with evolution to me, and I understood his point of view very well actually where as questions I had someone I paid in the form of tuition would just say its not on the test. Not everyone on the internet sucks then again those that are always literal probably have a really #ed sense of humor too.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   
SPAM REMOVED BY ADMIN
edit on Jun 17th 2016 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I honestly feel the gorilla (from the footage provided) knew not to harm the child. I'm sure he's built up a relationship with the zoo keepers realising he depends on humans for survival.

He didn't seem wild nor did he use the child as something to play with as you would expect.
Crying shame that the gorilla couldn't have behaved any better and his life was ended. No doubt the zoo have lost a gorilla and will gain a lawsuit. Kid was 4 not 1 yr old either. Kids of that age normally know the dangers of height.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: gypsycat
Since i have been the first time in a zoo as a child, i felt bad for the animals.
Caged behind glass and bars, running around on concrete, yeah, that`s like in nature, isn´t it?
When i watched the face of the gorilla there, behind safety glass, i saw his sadness.
Since that day i hate zoos, that are only made for the entertainment of humans. And because humans destroy everything, so they have to "save" some species from extinction in their zoos, even if for the most animals it´s not a life. Ask inmates!

And if that wouldn´t be bad enough, we humans are too stupid to create these zoos secure, so from time to time we have to kill animals in the zoos, because of the idiocracy of us humans.

Did the gorilla put himself into that unsecure jail? Did the gorilla penetrate the environment of the humans, or did a human enter the gorillas space, in that zoo?

But who had to die?
edit on 29 5 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
I honestly feel the gorilla (from the footage provided) knew not to harm the child. I'm sure he's built up a relationship with the zoo keepers realising he depends on humans for survival.

He didn't seem wild nor did he use the child as something to play with as you would expect.
Crying shame that the gorilla couldn't have behaved any better and his life was ended. No doubt the zoo have lost a gorilla and will gain a lawsuit. Kid was 4 not 1 yr old either. Kids of that age normally know the dangers of height.

Understood, also it appears the gorilla didn't know how to physically handle the young child. So measures of protecting the child were also understood and it is good that the child is ok...
Sad however that the Creature had to be removed and that no strong tranquilizers are available for such instances...

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Why do we even still have zoos? Watch discovery channel and national geographic and let animals be animals.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
It is a GD travesty that a rare animal paid the price for human stupidity.

Humans are not rare at 7,000,000,000 and counting.

We can lose one kid and not feel it.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

In 2008 there were under 200 male lowland gorillas world wide.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13
Too dangerous to use tranquilisers. Even if it was strong enough to stop the instinct reaction of danger/threat, if he were to collapse onto the child the lawsuit would have been biblical.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: gypsycat

In 2008 there were under 200 male lowland gorillas world wide.

I know, and don't get me started on the stupid Chinese killing tigers because they can't get it up.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Yes it is sad to take animals away from their natural habitats just for the entertainment of people. There are reasons or special cases where for some reason an animal is unable to survive on it"s own , in those cases I think a habitat that is as close to their natural environment as possible is a good solution.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
In a disgusting way I agree with you.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Agree, but people will not fund such a venture without the chance of a return on their investment. It's the same money that helped "save" the gorilla to begin with

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm from Cinci, so I'd like to comment. Y'all might not like my opinion, that's fine. Here goes.

So, I think blame is on both parts, 1. the zoo enclosures/habitats should never allow for an ignorant and curious child to get into them, adults are one thing, children are another. 2. The mother should have never had her eyes off of her child, or allowed something like this to happen.

I realize all parents make mistake, as I am a parent myself, which may be why I feel so strongly about this. I don't quite care if she had 1 child or 50 children, you enlist the proper help if you can't handle it.

When your mistake causes your childs life to be in danger, and for your child to be seriously harmed, you have absolutely screwed up. I know people are mad about her being publicly shamed by so many, I think this is the right course.

Sure she probably feels like dirt and she SHOULD. Public shaming is necessary when things like this happen so that all mothers know, our society will not accept or condone this kind of lack of parenting.

This put her childs life in danger, and caused the loss of many good varying genes to the gorilla gene pool as he would have been a breeding male once he was of age. Not to mention these species are highly endangered.

The other thing that bothered me was the whole "Mommy's right here I love you?" What?! I'm sorry but I can't see it any other way. Had I been incompetent enough to allow my child out of my sight to get into the habitat I'd be down there sacrificing myself and getting my child to safety, not being scared and saying mommys right here.... I just cannot comprehend any other choice! You know, if there's a chance that my child's going to be killed by an animal because of my mistake, then you better know that I'm getting killed by that animal also in an attempt to save my childs life. "Mommy's right here don't worry" Where the hell were you when he climbed into the enclosure?!

I mean jesus, it's not the babies fault, and it wasn't the gorillas fault but both were punished because the mother couldn't keep proper care of the child(ren) that were with her. It's messed up man.

/rant

-Alee
edit on 5/29/2016 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess
Hi, we are neighbors.

I think this whole mess is a terrible tragedy. It makes me want to cry just thinking about it. That gorilla was trying to do what was right, to do what he was sent there for and to be a "man" Even when he dragged that child by the back of the shirt, That is pretty much how he would have handled one of his young. The screaming and shouting form the crowd must have really confused and scared him, to the point he did not know which way to turn. And then he lost his life.

It was a terrible tragedy, yeah mom should have payed closer attention, but I also know how quick you can turn your head and a small child can disappear. Yeah the barrier to prevent that from happening should have been better, I can't really speak on that because I haven't seen it.

EVERY POSSIBLE WAY TO KEEP THAT GORILLA ALIVE SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN. i am not saying sacrifice the child I am saying you line the shooters up 3, 10 however many, and you shoot one gun after another until it does what it is supposed to do. wait 3 seconnds shoot another one. you have others standing ready to go secure both gorilla and child. I know that the zoo feels they made the best call in the situation. but why wasn't there a contingency plan. plan in place.

When you are given a chance to help one of the worlds most endangered species. you make every effort to keep that animal alive.

It was a horrible string of mistakes that lead to great tragedy. But the only one not really to blame in this case was the one who lost his rare and precious life.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: RestrictedEvery one that knew him would have felt it.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

Just saw the video on TV news tonight. I swear it looked like the Gorilla was trying to protect this child from the crazy humans that were hysterically screaming outside the fence at them.

I sincerely hope charges are pressed against the Mother, as a deterrent to other parents who don't love their children enough to keep a close eye on them.

You know... there seems to be a lot of animals killing humans in the news recently. A guy was killed by 1,000 bees this past week. Last month, it was the lady zookeeper killed by a Tiger that she had taken care of for years. I'm sure there are many more. I only read what's on the front pages of news websites.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I am still in HOLY SHI* mode you brought the kitty back, I feel like an old friend just returned with bad raunchy jokes and a south paw that confuses the best of booze fighters. I missed you Domo welcome back!!

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Only in America would that happen. This says a lot about the way Americians think, It also says a lot about their culture.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: gypsycat
a reply to: RestrictedEvery one that knew him would have felt it.

One in seven billion - negligible.

You think too small.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join