It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The English Language

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

surely "roundabout" as the word for a fairground attraction is older than that?

roundabout (adv.) "by a circuitous route," mid-14c., from round (adv.) + about. As an adjective from c. 1600. Noun sense of "traffic circle" is attested from 1927.

www.etymonline.com...

As you can see, the word itself is very old. But, as the traffic term, only since 1927.

The Americans started using roundabout to refer to the familiar road junction first, so, in that sense, they gave us the word.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
BuzzyWigs

floccinaucinihilipilification

floc·ci·nau·ci·ni·hil·i·pil·i·fi·ca·tion

noun

the action or habit of estimating something as worthless. (The word is used chiefly as a curiosity.).

😜

I am TOTALLY going to try to work this word into my vocabulary. First I need to figure out how to properly pronounce it...

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
The answer is to break it down into the original constituent parts.
FLOcci NAUci NiHILi PILi fication

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Yea. Easier said than done with this word...

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Practice, practice, practice.

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Lol. I never thought I'd have to practice saying a word, but you're right. How can I be my normal goofy self if I can't say large words because its funny?

posted on Jul, 8 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Right! Lately I've been practicing singing some of the lyrics to Insomnia by Bare Naked Ladies....

who needs sleep well you're never gonna get it, who needs sleep tell me what's that for..
who needs sleep?

Well, you live with what you get and there's a guy'ts been awake since the second world war....really fast.....

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
What's the size of your vocabulary?

Interesting test here....any takers?

My results said 23,250 words - " "you have the vocabulary of a 30-year old successful American business person" ?
I think I should be further ahead than a 30-year old, but okay...I'll take it!

edit on 7/12/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You win! oh wow...are you that 30-year old successful American business person that I'm supposedly about equivalent to?

Guess the test lied.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Hopefully the prize is a bottle of Single Malt.

No, it said I was 'Shakespeare'. Not that I find that particularly flattering since he bores the hell out of me.

edit on 12-7-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Color me humiliated.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
But do you know "contrafibularities"?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

how about "calumnious" .... you know that one?

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

I saw that episode.

posted on Jul, 12 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Yes, I would apply it to all of our politicians whenever their mouths are open.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Check out this sentence, you guys. This is from a Chinese tile manufacturing facility - the site is pretty nicely done, but the English is delightfully full of mistakes.

Some use roller printing or printing three networks hops per sheet product color gradients, textures, natural transition which is to achieve a natural effect and reflect the characteristics of rustic porcelain tiles have irregular color change awareness and the entire brick manufacturing color change cannot be regarded as color difference, due to the natural transition on a single brick color, the color of the product after cutting more obvious differences, but these are the product of original design of the “natural” appeal, just as defective due to production caused by the chromatic aberration distinguish Come.

Charming. I think what they're trying to say is that some variation in color is expected and not to be considered a defect.

The entire site is worth a viewing if you're intrigued (like I am) with how the Chinese translate English for business purposes. The names of the reviewers are unlikely, too -- "Dorothy" and "Orange" are not Chinese names.... I know some people make a living helping Chinese people choose English monikers -----sometimes they don't make sense...

like, "Cowboy Baseball".

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I deal with this everyday when communicating with our Hong Kong and Guangdong offices.

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I bet!! Yes, it is hilarious. I'd offer to clean up their English version, but since I'm a nobody I don't think they'd even read it.

Mr Wigs had been dealing with teams in Taiwan and India - and recently there was a lady from China on the conference call who I think called herself "Water" or "Air" or something like that.
Actually, come to that, we have new neighors across the street who are from Taiwan. One of them said his name is D2. I kid you not. The other kid was Chowan or Chewan. I don't know. I want them to teach me Taiwan-speak.

edit on 7/13/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Here is a good one I got today from a third party manufacturer:

Hi VP of Sales,

Hope you are doing well.
Here is the exciting news for you. KL made the nice LED PCBs as following:

1) NOT anodised
2) Big size : 570mm * 508mm
3) 70µm Cu
4) 2.0mm thickness
5) Surface finishing: HAL

If you are looking for new supplier to expand your business, please don't hesitate to contact us.
If you are not satisfy your current partner, please go back to KL immediately.

To expand one more partner as spares in case of something coming up in future, we are one of your choices !

Looking forward to your earliest response.

Best Regards,
Wilson , the boss of Kingunion Light of Shenzhen, China.

edit on 13-7-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join