It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis compared ISIS to Jesus sending his disciples to all nations "the same idea of conquest"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That he does! Even seems to get along well with a certain someone, which would be required!

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Mountain out of a molehill.

Do you not think the genocide of the Indigenous peoples of North and South America were validated according to the Bible backed belief of "spreading the word"? Pretty sure Christians at the time were their ISIS.

He's saying you can read the Bible and become a real A-hole because of how you interpret it. He's saying ISIS have read the Quran and become A-holes because of how they interpret it.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

I hear you. I think evil explains it perfectly, though. Which proves that the Pope is subject to its vices just as we are. He's only human. Evil comes out of everyone sometimes. I will say it seems to come out of him a bit too much for my comfort, though. Personally, I think he's creepy. Then again, I think it's good to keep in mind that Vatican exorcists have said that evil has its claws deep into the Vatican (at all levels). Since I trust that opinion, I think that a few conclusions can be drawn from it, but nothing certain, of course.

We shall see.

a reply to: WhateverYouSay

Well if he said that, he's a moron. There's no comparison. Daesh/IS didn't misinterpret the Quran. It states pretty clearly that violence can be used to form a caliphate. They're just radical Islamists. They want to end the world because they want their creepy false prophet Muhammad to come back. However, never has a radical Christian done anything to the level of what IS and its affiliates are doing now in the Middle East. What the pope should have said is that IS is evil because it obviously is. Faulty comparisons are useless and only serve to further confuse people. By that logic, what the pope said was pretty darn evil. JS.
edit on 22-5-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

If you want me to acknowledge that the Quran generally has worse stuff in it than the bible, sure, but you can't pull a "no true Scotsman" argument and try and write off that those colonialists were misinterpreting the bible while ISIS is interpreting the Quran just fine. You can support myriad arguments using either work.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: WhateverYouSay

The colonialists didn't misinterpret anything. They were out for power and money and land. In fact, plenty of people wrote to the Vatican to complain, but they were ignored. They were fully aware that they weren't solely out to 'convert' the Indians. They enslaved them and killed them. That's not something you can blame on Christianity because the essence of it is anti-Christian to the max. People do lots of things and blame it on religion. ISIS didn't misinterpret anything--they're just evil. Although Muhammad did say violence was okay--and he led armies. There's no misinterpretation. That's my point.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: rukia

Rome sinned in history and that is not a secret in a secular society that reads history textbooks. I wouldn't take the Vatican as the ultimate arbiter of the will of God or interpretation of Jesus.

At the same time, it may be true that certain people in Vatican tried to lessen the evil done by conquistadors. As we see also in the landmark film The Mission about Brazil tribe extermination by the Catholic armies, and the goodwill but hopeless figure of the papal representative there. It would be good if Francis denounced that sad history of Christianity (he did some mild attempts during his trip in S.America).

Now we have something completely else. It is for a first first time a pope in the recent history would take on Jesus and his disciples. it is a direct hit. Much should be done by Francis now to try to clean his face. He may talk climate protection, he may talk social justice, and that all is good. But he hurt Christianity in its heart. If he would have said lesser wording against Muslim religion, as Benedict did, by now there would be millions devote Muslims to protest. Christians are far less fervent in their devotion, and that is not a secret for anyone.

But may be he is meant to be such. He doesn't intend to apologize, he intends to show off his real face to the world. In the name of inter-religious dialogue and peace, that are as vague wordings. His attack on Jesus and the apostles may go as previous less scandalous wordings of Francis. It won't be the last one. He wants to be criticized for purpose known to him. He wants to be the black pope in history. I doubt he is the final one though.
edit on 28-5-2016 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-5-2016 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Dalai Lama unlike the pope, thinks about Europe remaining Europe and not Arab country

www.rt.com...

Tibet’s spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, thinks that Europe has accepted too many refugees, saying that they should stay only temporarily and return to rebuild their home countries once the conflicts there have been resolved.

“A human being who is a bit more fortunate has the duty to help them. On the other hand, there are too many now,” he added.

“Europe, for example Germany, cannot become an Arab country. Germany is Germany,” he said. “There are so many that in practice it becomes difficult.”

The Dalai Lama added that “from a moral point of view too, I think that the refugees should only be admitted temporarily,” explaining that they should “return and help rebuild their countries.”

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join