It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saskatchewan buys bus tickets to BC for Homeless.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

Heres a creative solution to Sasks homeless problem.....export them to BC......
What kind of insanity are the social workers imbued with when trained I wonder.....
Maybe BC could ship a few to elsewhere too....in fact why not give them all a bus ticket to the destination of their choice....one way of course....

These creative "solutions" seem to be the new norm....if you cant solve the problem, just make it go away.....

'Not good social policy'

Jang said the incident highlights the need for a national homeless strategy.

"If this is a trend now, if the Saskatchewan government is going to start putting people on buses, you know that is just inhumane. It is not good public health. It is not good social policy, and it really does nothing for those individuals who are on that bus," Jang said.

"It really does speak to me that homelessness is a national issue. We are seeing it in every province. We are seeing it in every city. And we really do need a national housing program."

Jang believes the situation is unusual, though, because the annual homeless counts have shown that most homeless people in the region are from the local area.

"We know from our own research here in Vancouver, the homeless in our city, the vast majority are from here in our region or our province. We don't have a lot of immigration from out of the province."

edit on 8-4-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
They bought tickets for two homeless guys that asked for them.

One said he had a friend on B.C.'s Sunshine coast.

It's not a new plan. It was 2 guys.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
They do this in California.

I can get a bus ticket anywhere in the US.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Why don't you? Isn't the cost of living in California insanely high?

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

So you can go on vacation and only have to pay for your trip back?

Sweet deal.

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
They have done this for others as well and its gone on for years in many jurisdictions.....
Tickets to Vancouver one way have been supplied before....
This incident was two guys.....but it wasn't the first, and it isn't just Saskatchewan either....
I merely point out the situation....exporting the homeless is just plain cruel and unusual punishment.
Here is Campbell River BC the pigs pick up the street people, drive them 10 or so miles out of town and boot them out on the highway.....I know this for fact......the mayor doesn't like them on the streets....
A friend whos homeless,s went into the library to get warmed up....and because of cold and exposure he fell asleep with his head down on his arms at a back table.....
They banned him from the place for six months....
They are viewed as part of the zombie apocalypse here and shunned egregiously by all and sundry....mostly natives by the way....so its acceptable for the cops and businesses to harass them and abuse them....
Which many do with more than average relish I might add...
Of course you are probably not of this Ilk buddy, and need not give a #....to the point of being derisive....
Karma is a bitch....
edit on 7-4-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

You have a friend that's homeless?

None of my friends will ever be homeless as long as I have a roof.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

You have a friend that's homeless?

None of my friends will ever be homeless as long as I have a roof.

you could easily find a few to befriend if your short....do you have any at all?
I have ten or more friends that are homeless as well as a herd of various societal loosers whom seek my support from time to time daily....
In fact most of my days are involved in caring for others...so piss off
I live on a boat which is as close to being homeless as it gets in this country status wise....on an old age pension...
You obviously travel in higher circles than I pal....
piss off with your usual superior attitude and sarcasm its totally uncalled for...

www.wsws.org...

Oil-rich Alberta is Canada’s wealthiest province, but the Klein Tory government has spearheaded the downsizing of public and social services across Canada, winning praise from the likes of the Wall Street Journal. Under Klein, Alberta became the first province to drastically cut welfare rates and embark on a systematic campaign to drive people off welfare. In a 16-month period in 1993-94, the province’s welfare rolls were cut almost in half. One tactic used was to offer recipients a one-way bus ticket to leave Alberta. During the course of the 1990s, the province’s housing budget was reduced by some two-thirds. Having made Alberta the first jurisdiction in North America to replace a progressive income tax with a flat tax, Klein is now pushing for the dismantling of Medicare, the universal public health insurance scheme.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   

That is too bad because I would be happy if this WAS the plan. One way trips to San Francisco or some other hippy dippy place that encourages sitting on your ass all day. They would have a better life and we would be rid of them.
edit on 2016/4/8 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

That is too bad because I would be happy if this WAS the plan. One way trips to San Francisco or some other hippy dippy place that encourages sitting on your ass all day.

You have no idea what you are speaking of so why the derision?
Have you even read the rest of my posts?
gawd remember our motto....deny stupidity...or was thet ignorance? or perhaps arrogance? I misremember...
namaste pal

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I'm sorry, it seems that you and I have different definitions of the word "friend".

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman
I have to agree Abe...it seems we have different definitions of many other things as well......

have a nice life.......

www.ibtimes.com...

For years, Oklahoma City tackled its homeless problem by handing out bus tickets to other cities to its down-and-out residents. But once the homeless arrived at their destination, they were often greeted with a new one-way bus ticket, as city leaders across the nation increasingly embraced the practice of busing out the poor, a solution that solved the immediate problem of reducing a municipality’s homeless crisis without actually finding housing for the needy.

The practice, criticized as "homeless dumping," has been quietly embraced by local government leaders since the early 2000s in an effort to diminish the public visibility of the poor and avoid costly services. But a growing number of housing activists have begun pushing back against the bus ticket solution, urging government officials to instead consider permanent solutions within communities to address homelessness, including affordable housing.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
thinkprogress.org...

thinkprogress.org...

merry go round for the homeless....

One cannot deny the problem.......round and round they go....

www.takepart.com...

Sarasota is not the first to attempt to solve its homeless problem by simply shipping people out. In 2011, spring break hot spot Fort Lauderdale, Fla, came under fire for a similar plan. In 2013, San Francisco sued Nevada for allegedly giving low-income and homeless public hospital patients one-way bus tickets to town.

“Sounds like putting a Band-Aid on a bigger, deeper issue,” local resident Catherine Miller said to ABC Action News about the Sarasota plan. “It just displaces them because you feel more comfortable.”

I could go on.....
but I rest my case.....b

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   

If you are going to use 'ThinkProgress' as a source we won't be able to have an intelligent discussion. If you actually fill your mind with that garbage then we are just too different to come to an agreement.

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

If you are going to use 'ThinkProgress' as a source we won't be able to have an intelligent discussion. If you actually fill your mind with that garbage then we are just too different to come to an agreement.

www.mintpressnews.com...

yes we are very different versions of human beings you and I......

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Deny ignorance

www.theguardian.com...

Critics have dismissed the initiative as a gimmick.

Arnold Cohen, head of a New York campaign group, Partnership for the Homeless, told the New York Times: "The city is engaged in cosmetics. What we're doing is passing the problem of homelessness to another city. We're taking people from a shelter bed here to the living room couch of another family. Essentially, this family is still homeless."

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   

That's where most of them are heading this time of year anyways.

Many homeless people in Canada will travel to BC for the summer to work planting trees and things like that. It pays under the table usually and there's typically a place for them to stay on the work site until they get kicked back to wherever they came from.

Drive the trans Canada highway westward and you will see lots of homeless hitchhiking in that direction as we get closer to summer.

Seeing as most of you probably don't know that, your ignorance of the matter should be forgiven.

edit on 8-4-2016 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-4-2016 by threeeyesopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: threeeyesopen

That's where most of them are heading this time of year anyways.

Many homeless people in Canada will travel to BC for the summer to work planting trees and things like that. It pays under the table usually and there's typically a place for them to stay on the work site until they get kicked back to wherever they came from.

Drive the trans Canada highway westward and you will see lots of homeless hitchhiking in that direction as we get closer to summer.

Seeing as most of you probably don't know that, your ignorance of the matter should be forgiven.

Who kicks them back?
Do they get free tickets out after the season too?

I don't know if you have ever tree planted....but the free place to stay is a tent they usually pack with them....
The work is back breaking the food is sometimes atrocious.....and theres the need for fairly good weather gear etc

We are talking real homeless people who seldom plant trees as they have some addiction or other problems as well as very little in the way of gear.....most are not in robust health either....

Most of the actual working migrants to BC are Quebecois and mst are not entirely homeless, just out of school, they pick fruit too.....
The homeless who get tickets are street people, very poorly equipped and suffering various debilitations...
They don't come to work that's for sure...
But your magnanimous offer of forgiveness is appreciated...

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Back in the 70's, my father drove for Greyhound out of Vancouver. The socreds regularly shipped transients back east out of B.C. via gov't paid tickets-non-refundable- to lessen the burden on B.C. social programs.

Nothing new.

It does, however, afford B.C. an opportunity to response similarly without the P.C. back-flash.

edit on 8-4-2016 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-4-2016 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: threeeyesopen

Not to mention, cherry and peach picking in the Okanogan. This, also, goes way back, often French-Canadians doing their tour of the country and using it as a financial support. Not always the 'homeless' by any means.

I find the homeless argument a little specious in that in many cases, not all by any means, that if one puts the effort in where one is, one will find some form of employment. Just saying.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join