It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On posting in ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

Hello!

To carry on off of the previous post, it IS about sharing what I truly feel/think and being honest/real. However, once again, if everyone ignored how I truly felt, and rejected everything I thought... I would have more incentive to leave and never return (cycling back to my original post- read it over again).

You can't escape this loop, it's simply the human condition. And for you to point out that I am fixated on reputation? Well yes I am, because I clearly pointed out in the OP that I would not simply just take off my clothes for attention(read the OP over a third time, if you must) or in other words, conform to other ways in order to gain "popularity." I guess I didn't make that point so clear. I hope I now have.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

Actually, I think that choice of wording is a tell. Don't mistake my reservation for pointing out insights out of respect for a lack of reading.

Carry on!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Reading this thread, I feel as if we are kindred spirits in a sense.

Posting on ATS is different for me, depending on the nature of the subject at hand, and, like you, I also get an emotional "boost" from stars. (please ignore my stats, I'm one of the glitched members) But honestly, there is nothing I love more than reading an OP like yours. It isn't trying for the shock and awe angle.

It's Humble. Honest. Earnest.

Matters as of late have been so convoluted in topical discussion, it's nice to have a more personal thread in which to relax and reflect. Just wonderful human communication and interaction. A nice corner of socialization that makes ATS so wonderful....the membership and our lovely idiosyncrasies and quirks.

In school, my English teachers were very formal, and my love of the written word did not always translate well over to the expectation for Formal Essays. I am still developing my "voice" in print, as it were, so I cannot judge another for their candor or method of expression in matters such as this.

Words and communication is a wonderfully frail and infinitely powerful medium.

Write with joy, express freely....and if it comes out as a wall of text at first, so be it. I'll admit to my own failings over the years, but with a little fine tuning and attention to detail, expression can be molded and crafted into a Fine Art, and joy to read and Food for the Soul.

Your thread has given us all this gift.
Thank you.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I think this is an honest and insightful group of observations that you wrote.
I am capable of long, pedantic TLDR posts, but I try to always leave a space for the eyes to rest.

On the care and feeding of threads: No set rules but a matter of personal style. In my own threads, if a conversation or discussion happens, I participate and when it eventually looses steam I don't revive it. I've had many threads that didn't acquire much attention and that's fine, because I've said what I wanted to. Sometimes it's just a matter of timing. .. or maybe kismet.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus
Sometimes (unless a treatise on plate tectonics or electron microscopy); a few words well chosen can express an idea that at the same time remains 'abstract' inclusive/elusive yet laser targeted describing a hidden intent agenda.

edit on 2-4-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

But before I gave up, I admit... I would try to figure out what I can do to resolve that situation and increase starring attention. That doesn't mean that I'd gladly get naked to gain attention, but it does mean I will try to do better and "be so good that they can't ignore you," as steve martin puts it. And if I still didn't get the desired attention despite all my efforts, I might resort to a little trolling at that point before I left for good. Just being honest.

Don't put too much effort into winning favor from complete strangers you've never met. Just be you…

To me its not a popularity contest, sometimes the truth isn't popular. Having said that, if you want a couple tips how to increase your star-dom, you can try posting early on the weekends, more people are online then.

I do it because I want to engage people, the more people are up, the earlier you post in a new thread, the more responses you get to stuff you say. A side effect of that is more stars. If thats what you are after, then try to respond to every poster that addresses you, stick with your argument, admit mistakes and apologize when you offend someone.

People will generally respect what you say more if you do that. It must be working, look at the response you are getting so far.

Don't worry about your impression here, imo, you do just fine.
edit on 2-4-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

If you post on a topic you truly are interested in then how much attention a thread gets depends on a number of variables. It's a bit like writing a song. If you hit the right notes at the right time and enough people get exposed to what you are saying then it starts snowball and gets more attention until it hits the front page. Even if you write nonsense or it sounds completely dumb (just like some songs).

Exactly. You just explained why there is a science to it right after stating "there is no formula to it". Of course there is a science to it, it can be a very complex science based on a high number of variables, but there are well defined ways to improve the attention gained by a thread. First of all I would say an eye catching title is important, without making it misleading or sensationalist. The thread its self should contain not only text, but if you want maximum flags, then you should intersperse pretty images throughout the thread. I typically try to minimize my usage of images to situations where it's really necessary, because even though they do help get more flags, I find the use of stock photos in an attempt to merely garner flags to be a distasteful practice, and I like to keep the tone of my threads as serious as possible.

The actual topic of the thread is also important, controversial topics almost always get a lot of attention, but if you make a well written thread about an interesting conspiracy topic which hasn't been covered in much detail before, then you will probably get a lot of attention. I quite enjoy writing threads on advanced scientific topics, and they are often pretty long and wordy, which can turn a lot of people off because they want something short and easy to read, but some of those threads still gain quite a lot of flags if it's a topic people find interesting. I try to always avoid making the tone of the thread sound exaggerated or pretentious, people tend to respond best when the tone is relaxed and casual, with the odd joke thrown in here and there. There are many other factors, such as the time of day and the day of the week when the thread was posted, but I doubt many people actually take into consideration all these factors.
edit on 2/4/2016 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I love you GENERAL EYES!

Thank you argentus! On the feeding of threads, yeah I think I do a similar thing. After a few pages I kind of just only respond if it really calls out to me personally. Kismet, what a great word!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
Why the quest for 'stars' and include the trickery/tactics to gain them; (an ego massage)? I LOVE EVERYONE TOO!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Why the quest for 'stars' and include the trickery to gain them; (an ego massage)?

Its not my quest, its hers. Been arond long enough to learn a thing or two.

About massaging my ego, I'm not really into that, if you knew my posting history, Im the icon basher, the contrary opinion, mostly.

My stats reflect that too, I think.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Why the quest for 'stars' and include the trickery to gain them; (an ego massage)?

Its not my quest, its hers. Been arond long enough to learn a thing or two.
About massaging my ego, I'm not really into that, if you knew my posting history, Im the icon basher, the contrary opinion, mostly. My stats reflect that too, I think.

I think you are being HOAX'ed icon basher. KISMET! such a great word!! (Your stats are outstanding) .

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

See theres my problem, I don't get it. But thanks I like your content, too.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

See theres my problem, I don't get it. But thanks I like your content, too.

I just read your post reply to "Trapped in a Mansion". I have the same experiences within structures; but am not dreaming at all; as am traveling out of body to other dimensions to experience something so close to this; yet warped. I have replied (more than once) to this person no dialog. I could be wrong. There is an intelligence that belies the naiveness presented.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise
a reply to: mirageman

I am just admitting that the starring system affects me emotionally.

But after reading your keen insights (lol at the insertion of the odd photo raising your star number, I never noticed that before!), I realize that what I am feeling is akin to a recurring nightmare I used to have as a child, where I am invisible... and trying to engage with others, but they are not seeing/hearing me. Wow!

So it's probably about being emotionally and intellectually validated- like where I say, "I like the color blue," and I need others to acknowledge it in order for it to feel real. So if they say, "I don't believe you," or just utterly ignore me, then I feel invisible and... less real.

Didn't mean to get so deep about it just then. But? It's not about actual stars, no. It IS about sharing what I truly feel/think and being honest/real.

You mentioned that before, "feeling invisible".

In a mater of speaking is it possible that you are moving the goal post?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Hey, I'm sorry, I don't always respond to everyone's posts on my threads. I do however star everyones responses (except if it's kind of confrontational/not nice) for the most part. Thanks for contributing, vethumanbeing!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

What I mean is that perhaps you have found something within yourself that has caused you to be surprised.

Sometimes when people have experiences like that they decide they want more,.So in some cases they unconsciously move the expectations of what they are experiencing and so internally move the goal post as a defense mechanism.

In other words they become skeptical.

edit on 2-4-2016 by Kashai because: Content edit

edit on 2-4-2016 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise

Hey, I'm sorry, I don't always respond to everyone's posts on my threads. I do however star everyones responses (except if it's kind of confrontational/not nice) for the most part. Thanks for contributing, vethumanbeing!

Part of the responsibility of opening a thread (to my thinking) is to respond to those (everyone) actually bothering to reply (kudos for the OP gaining the attention of others; that means everyone responding). Dealing with others that may question you or your opinion is part of a process of knowing Oneself now existing within 'NO MANS' land (some rules apply and everyone is anonymous). Handle it with grace/a sense of humor; it helps also to grow a thicker skin.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Good golly Moses did I feel like I must have written your post in my sleep. I have all those feelings and till maybe ten posts ago even apologized at the end of each post for if I sounded dumb, rambled, didn't meet the level of expertise I dared comment on that other members were flaunting...just know that u r not alone and i bet where there's two there's fifty or more

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm just (slightly - only slightly! I promise!) insane and type essentially whatever is in my brain at the moment without any editing lol. I probably should self-censor more, but I feel like because I'm so anxious and legitimately afraid to argue with anyone as it is, I have to make up for it by being as unabashed as possible in my actual posts I do make. So for me it's very much stream of consciousness.

I do check for typos and, if upon reading it back I believe I could word something less abrasively (however unintentionally,) I will then edit. But beyond that, I don't really put much thought into the structure or verbosity of my posts. I probably should but... that feels contrived, and so I refuse because, as stated, I'm sort of insane. :p

Peace.

Oh I forgot to add: yeah the "feeling ignored" thing does irrationally happen to me too, I concede. And I hate it because philosophically I don't want it to matter. But it does lol.
edit on 4/2/2016 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

But before I gave up, I admit... I would try to figure out what I can do to resolve that situation and increase starring attention. That doesn't mean that I'd gladly get naked to gain attention, but it does mean I will try to do better and "be so good that they can't ignore you," as steve martin puts it.

Shake your moneymaker and make it rain stars girl!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join