It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On posting in ATS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

I always love your posts! I'm a little insane, too. Maybe that's why I always liked you.

a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

lol @ the expression "good golly moses." I like it, I'm gonna use it one day. I understand about feeling dumb, too, I just accept it nowadays. But you don't sound dumb btw. And I'm glad you're not apologizing anymore!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

What do they become skeptical of?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

I've always wondered if the profile pics members use have any effect on the attention they receive.

Having been here a few years it seems to me that it indeed does.

The members who use, or appear to be using, photos of themselves, especially cute girls, of course draw more attention in the form of responses and stars 😉

What do you think?
edit on 2-4-2016 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise

What do they become skeptical of?

The idea that it is possible, if not probable that we as individuals make a difference.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

I've always wondered if the profile pic members use have any effect on the attention they receive.
Having been here a few years it seems to me that it indeed does.
The members who use, or appear to be using, photos of themselves, especially cute girls, of course draw more attention in the form of responses and stars 😉 What do you think?

A well placed form of the strategy: "BAIT"and"HOOK".
edit on 2-4-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

A star can also relate to respect to what member has offered.

So can two.

edit on 2-4-2016 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Yeah, I won't lie. I think it makes a difference, at least sometimes.

But it's something that might only last for a minute. Like, maybe you receive attention because of the way you look at first, for a little while(like when you first start dating someone you find really attractive)... however that will calm down, eventually everyone gets used to everyone, and then your connection and attention levels will be left to personality, hobbies, skills, and other things in order to keep the relationship going.

I feel like in the face of history, and the future, we don't even make a mark on the timeline, that's how microscopic we are.

But idk my feelings might change one day.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

If it were not for things that are microscopic we would not exist.

Perhaps that same perspective is applicable beyond us as individuals.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I like stars too, but I like good replies most. Something I realized early on, greeting new members lowers your star to post ratio. Even without stars I like greeting new members though (that's lead to some interesting discussions).

My posts have ranged from one liners to walls of text (something I put in my intro thread was criticized as such). When I have more time to edit, I prefer to cut down on the length of my posts. It doesn't bother me to much if my text clumps into a big ugly wall though.

I rarely post past the first few pages of a thread, partly because I feel content to leave a star by something I agree with, and partly because I feel like it's a bit too crowded to join by then.

I've only posted a couple of my own threads. I wasn't really concerned with getting stars or flags with them, I just wanted to know if anyone could help me make sense of some of my more peculiar experiences (I didn't get far with them) .

If nothing I wrote received a reply, I think that would bother me; stars and flags wouldn't make up for it. Though a good conversation is enough without any stars or flags.

When reading other posts I pay little attention to stars or flags.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
A star can also relate to respect to what member has offered.
So can two.

So; you admit you are enslaved to a 'star system' by anonymous idea forms (or that which you believe your intellect deserves) and promote its unrelenting promise of recognition to those pretending to be naive?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I think you're underplaying your hand, if that's really you in your profile pic, but ok 😊

I feel it has a more profound effect.

Seen it quite a few times.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: vethumanbeing

I understand that the motivation to give a person a star is relatable to some conclusion formed. Related to the content, at the time the member decided to give a person a star.

Its a matter of opinion.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I understand that the motivation to give a person a star is relatable to some conclusion formed related to the content, at the time the member decided to give a person a star.

You missed my point. There is a difference between "fishing" for Sympathy stars and actually earning them using wit and cunning (or reason/logic of street form tactics).

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Do you think she's pretending?

Me too 😏

Ideas, if they're any good, are just as valuable to me whether or not they're anonymous.

I star based almost entirely on merit.

Almost.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

There are also ways to gain respect from other members.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Yes I do think some pretense is involved here; a completely different persona than presented. I star everyone that talks to me (except the devil) as do not want to encourage it (I do not recognize you) sort of thing.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

There are also ways to gain respect from other members.

How so other than using "word chess"?

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS where the stars are made up and the flags don't matter!

LoL couldn't resist that. I am woman enough to admit I too get a little giddy when I see a new star has popped up. Lmao you should have seen my happy dance over getting my first flag. I understand the sentiment of your post. I am a stay at home mom. 2 yr olds don't have very good conversation, ASD kids tend to get very repetitive in their speech and the 10 yr old ugh all about CoD, Minecraft, girls, and other stuff. They sometimes start to sound like the parents on Charlie Brown. So ATS is my chance for adult interaction (while the hubby is at work) and it makes me feel a little less crazy because I am considered a bit outspoken and out there in my family. Cheers, S&F for you!

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I'm not the devil as far as you know.

Going back now to star all of your responses.

And make sure I've starred all the cute OPs posts.

I like this thread. Very frank discussion. Learning a lot.

posted on Apr, 2 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

please ignore my stats, I'm one of the glitched members

The ‘glitch’ only seems to affect members of long standing who have contributed many posts and received a fairly large number of stars in the legitimate way. Of course, if you didn’t know ATS, you might think those people actually had received so many stars for their posts.

Of course, if you divide the number of stars by the number of posts you can see at once that something’s wrong. You, for instance, GENERAL EYES, have an average of 1309 stars per post. Impressive... but clearly impossible.

But geez, Louise, what a good thread topic. And hell yes, I like stars, too. They make me feel like one.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join