It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private thread via invite only

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Why don't you post on RATS exclusively, that will dwindle the number of people participating in your threads.

I don't have (m)any threads. Whats Rats?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

I feel that the ability for people to do drive by debunking and general derailment is a HUGE reason for people not contributing...

if you want to turn ATS into the DemocraticUnderground of the conspiracy world, sure.

If you have a problem with people doing "drive by debunking" on your threads, guess what? The problem is more likely to be poorly-researched or nonsensical threads. To paraphrase an expression, if you've been married 5 times, perhaps you need to look at the single common denominator.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with thinking outside of the box. There's nothing wrong with presenting challenging thoughts, theories, or alternate views. Speculation, procrastination, and drawing interesting if dubious potential conclusions, it's all good in my book. The more the better, bring it all on.

There's a big problem with taking a clearly worded piece of text, ignoring half of it, misinterpreting the rest of it, then inventing a load of random nonsense that it "clearly means". There's a handful of those very threads floating around as we speak. I'm all for fringe theories and speculation, but at least have the decency to recognise it as such.

I know there's one especially pompous little prick who ends every contradictory post with a flouncy comment to the effect that "don't you dare rethpond to me unleth you are agreeing with what I thay or I thall ignore you!" Ok, it might not be worded that way but it's exactly what it means. That's probably the single-most reprehensible and disgusting conduct I've witnessed on the entire site. Challenging ideas is one thing, but that kind of feeble attempt at suppression? Skin-crawling.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Really Above Top Secret

The pinned post at the top says this:

1. This is not chit-chat. 2. This is not a topical forum. 3. This is for sensitive topics focused on the mission of ATS. 4. General discussion and chit-chat threads will be removed from RATS from this point forward.

But honestly, there are tons of general threads on there.

edit on 9-3-2016 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

a reply to: Lysergic
Or a creationist walking into a science class to talk about God every damned day.

I would think most intelligent scientifically minded people would be fine with the opportunity to debate these creationists... its kinda like shooting fish in a barrel, lol.

Anyway, personally I think your wearing your heart on your sleeve and taking life far to seriously. There are people out there who think differently to you, maybe you just need to deal with it... or stick to facebook, where you only have to read what people who are just like you think.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Its been 5 years bro. The piranha thing is not the best way to learn. Jut saying.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I wouldn't call you a pariah.
You'd all be invited if I started a thread.
Might even do it soon.

Thing is, I like ATS just as it is and making threads private will just turn people away and limit the scope of discussions.

I say no.

link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Yes, but they would choose the rational people capable of honest debate and not those out to be the looniest of the loons trying to have fun at others expense.

link   

Dbl
edit on 9-3-2016 by Tulpa because: Blinking flip

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I see a lot of threads where the OP asks for a specific thing. Example: "What natural chemicals are best for insomnia?"

The answers should really only contain lists of natural chemicals, which ones have helped or not and possibly any warnings about specific ones or contraindications.

What I will see is a lot of is: "All that natural stuff is a ripoff" . or "I like Advil PM'. Or "Anyone who relies on anything but a good diet and exercise for good sleep is weak."

Those posts should be alerted as OT or mods should be pulling them more.

If the post was more general, like "Do natural remedies for insomnia work?" : then it is a wide open thread then. Some will list types. Some will go off on whether they are worth the money, etc.

We shouldn't need invite only threads for people to stay on topic and be courteous.
edit on 9-3-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I think what OP is trying to say is that he's tired of childish and rude posters responding to his threads. ...he's trying to find a way to stay in contact with Civil acting ATS members and get rid of the Bully's . There has been an increasing amount of posters on ATS who think it's funny to insult you, call you names, call you racist, etc...they don't really participate or contribute in a thread in anyway shape or form, other than piss you off. They just throw rude comments at you. I myself have asked a question or two in a thread ,and have Been called racist, an idiot, a troll, stupid, a bigot, a liar, and much more... ....I understand what OP is trying to create, ....but.....I don't think or agree that a private only group is the way to go.....I am not sure what the answer is to OPs issue., but I too am tired of the bully's on ATS using the Internet wall to throw mud at you.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

You are right, we shouldnt, but from where I stand, we do.

Just the new type of membership. Not really caring.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

You are right, we shouldnt, but from where I stand, we do.

Just the new type of membership. Not really caring.

If they get alerted enough, enough posts removed or just told outright then and there, they might stop.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well i can see it being "risky business" when you cannot moderate discussion done by invitation only people. It could be easily similar like hacking someones computer without the victim knowing it. When things go wrong or providers trust has been deceived.. there are many very extremist people in the World today and something done "behind the curtains" certainly is something this kind of material are looking for.
Then if it would be moderated.. how many invitation only forums there would be.. is there enough staff to moderate etc.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

By that time your thread is swiss cheese, the narrative is set and in some cases you even get your own posts removed (in fairness) and it all just sucks.

Then when you go to make a new thread you ask "well I know this, why share it and go through that all over again"

No one NEEDS to waste hours making content for people to ruin it in like 10 minutes. I dont. I can read like I did always and smile to myself as I learn more. Sharing is a courtesy, that isnt really protected enough. Integrity would be people pouncing on a derailer instead of the OP for his response to one. Because integrity is an issue, we just see it differently

I dont see many honest discussions beyond sterile facts people simply cant refute but would love to....Thats not how you learn either.
Just saying.

edit on 3 9 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
I think what OP is trying to say is that he's tired of childish and rude posters responding to his threads. ...he's trying to find a way to stay in contact with Civil acting ATS members and get rid of the Bully's . There has been an increasing amount of posters on ATS who think it's funny to insult you, call you names, call you racist, etc...they don't really participate or contribute in a thread in anyway shape or form, other than piss you off. They just throw rude comments at you. I myself have asked a question or two in a thread ,and have Been called racist, an idiot, a troll, stupid, a bigot, a liar, and much more... ....I understand what OP is trying to create, ....but.....I don't think or agree that a private only group is the way to go.....I am not sure what the answer is to OPs issue., but I too am tired of the bully's on ATS using the Internet wall to throw mud at you.

Have to have thicker skin. Alert the person who posted that. Or simply ignore them. Or tell them it isn't appropriate in your reply. You have lots of choices. Make them look immature. They might eventually realize they look like a fool.
edit on 9-3-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Its not that people will not debunk, but if you think all new age crap is crap, then why should you be allowed to say so to people who genuinely like it and are trying to learn?

Now I'm entirely with you on that point in principle. The issue, as ever, comes down to where a line gets drawn.

I might think that [x] religion is a pile of old nonsense, but unless a thread is clearly inviting consideration - or is clearly misusing/abusing sources to make a point that is fundamentally flawed - I'm not going to wade in.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

My goto is the new threads page. Do RATS threads start there?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

By that time your thread is swiss cheese, the narrative is set and in some cases you even get your own posts removed (in fairness) and it all just sucks.

Then when you go to make a new thread you ask "well I know this, why share it and go through that all over again"

It's tough. Has happened to me several times, but not most times. I have learned tactics to slow down trolls and salvage a thread. There is an art to debate and there are ways to get the thread back on track. There are a LOT of people here that are good at that, Phage comes to mind and he puts threads back on track that aren't even his.

link   

Yes they do, but members don't start threads there very often. You need a certain amount of stars to access it, so if I can see them, there's no doubt you would see them.

RATS threads also don't show up on google searches, I think.

link   
a reply to: tadaman

I learned more here in those five years than most of my life, just saying.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join