It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is the Bible not considered channeled information?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Can you show me where the Authors of the Bible intentionally entered a trance like state to get messages from God?

Fasting, in order to attain a mental/physical state is pretty deliberate.

Matthew 4:2
Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2And after He had fasted forty days and forty nights, He then became hungry. 3And the tempter came and said to Him, "If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread."…

Exodus 34:28
Moses was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant--the Ten Commandments

Acts 22:17
It happened when I returned to Jerusalem and was praying in the temple, that I fell into a trance, and I saw Him saying to me, 'Make haste, and get out of Jerusalem quickly..........

Acts 10:10
But he became hungry and was desiring to eat; but while they were making preparations, he fell into a trance.........

Revelation 1:10
I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, saying, "Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches.........

Numbers 24:2
And Balaam lifted up his eyes and saw Israel camping tribe by tribe; and the Spirit of God came upon him. He took up his discourse and said, "The oracle of Balaam the son of Beor, And the oracle of the man whose eye is opened..........

Not to mention that Paul, himself, is happy to claim that "His Gospel" is channeled information.

edit on 1-3-2016 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

Fasting is deliberate and originates in the bodies reaction to starvation that involves the release of endorphins or dopamine (forget exactly). I made this connection the second I learned about it, I just assumed that was how fasting started. Glad to know I'm not alone.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Maybe the confusion is people who channel spirits are actively contacting a spirit of any kind for words and inspiration
Christians are in a relationship with God, relationship being the difference, maybe chanelling is a understanding to Christians of contacting the dead. Nowadays it's aliens and spirits.

The difference is relationship and who Christians...

I get that this is your beliefs, I am going to add that Christians don't have any more or less of a relationship with God than Hindus as well as every well intentioned seeker of knowledge.

God is diverse, and won't be limited by your personal expectations, beliefs or inability to comprehend the possibility of the fact that one religion being true doesn't necessarily make the rest false.

The difference is not important, it's what we have in common that unites us.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

The Bible and all the rest of our religious texts are just books written by Man with all his fears and fallibility at play.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I have a hard time understanding why the bible isn't considered mythology in the 21st century.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Mankind

No that is your opinion

I appreciate your opinion from a secular viewpoint but it is invalid

Hindus are vowed to empty their minds, there is a huge difference

We are called to pray and meditate on Gods word, not empty our minds

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
if a living person is conveying information on behalf of a non living or non physical entity, it is channeling. it doesnt matter how or why they are doing it.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

a verse that would have better fit the OP title is

2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

edit on 1-3-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Greetings- I agree that that can be construed as "channeled intel" Have You mentioned the 'burning bush' or the talking serpent? I'd be curious as to what those self proclaimed Chris†ians™ have to type about those.

I'd opine that if Pastor Gary or whomever they're getting their info, tells them this Sunday or Saturday for the off-shoot (the "Chris†ians™" can't even agree on which 'sect' is or isn't and which Rule Book to use out of the 3,296 different versions...) that while He was prepping for the Sermon, the one between passing the hat and the bakery sale, He received "divine info to write this sermon.." these folks wouldn't be writing Your thought off... (read: Goes against their beliefs so You're WRONG!)

'In the beginning was Adamu and Lilith created from the same dirt...' "better get rid of that one or the ladies will think they are "equal"" said one of The Quorum now the re-write has written off the equal Lilith and replaced Her with "Eve" who would only be because of Adam's rib (subservient).

But according to THEM I'm headed to Hell because I'm wearing some lycra and polyester and I thought I was in the clear because I cancelled the Game Meat Feed scheduled this Friday..

"Religion™ is for folks afraid of Hell, "Spirituality" is for folks that have already been..." The Great Sioux Nation

And imagine how big The Sioux Nation would be today if their land wasn't taken and replaced by Bibles and disease????

namaste

edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: spellin fo paw

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

a verse that would have better fit the OP title is

2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

a rose by any other name...

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

I know there are over 350 English versions of the holy Bible and most foreign languages are from one of those.

Are you saying there are 3,296 English versions available?

Please clarify

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

well it literally shows men being moved by another to receive and write. That is distinctive of modern channelling practices.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mankind

What you aren't considering is the immunity Christianity gives itself when it involves the bible. They believe it is outside the influence of human nature. Lying isn't a possibility they consider regarding the NT authors, so automatic writing or channeled information is "of 'Satan'" and not a possibility. To them

Paul's claims are Indeed a form of Revelation (channeled info) to Christians, as Paul never met Jesus, so I totally get your reasoning. Christianity is an odd collection of 'characters.'

Oh yea there are some occasions were getting the "word" looks strange. Elisha called for music before seeking the answer to a question given him by elders. Witch at Endor brings Elijah up from dead and his sprit prophesies to King Saul.

Most of the actual transfer of information, the method and means are not discussed but much of it is and goes beyond anything that could be confused with channeling.

But for those cases that may look like a form of channeling the difference is that the person become enlightened and still in control of self while channeling looks like a possession of a sort.
edit on 1-3-2016 by Logarock because: n

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

The Bible and all the rest of our religious texts are just books written by Man with all his fears and fallibility at play.

So I see you haven't really studied the Bible or all the rest of religious texts then.
edit on 1-3-2016 by Logarock because: n

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

at a certain time god chose to give it to only one group.

Acts 7:38 This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and [with] our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:
Rom 3:2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Moses had to go to the mountain to get his. When he returned with the messages he would have a glow about him, similar to Jesus and the transfiguration(I think that's what it's called).

Solomon was the most interesting though with his magic ring that gave him dominion over 72 chief spirits. For that you need to go to Jewish tradition, as it's extra biblical. It's still a part of Jewish tradition, Apocryphal or not. Enoch is the most fascinating of these hidden texts. A must read for anyone who doesn't believe the bible is the only book God speaks through, as some people like to think.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Oracles are mediums. They channel otherworldly forces.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Oracles literal meaning is verbal/spoken words.

Yeah, and most Bible scholars (men) hate the fact the the preserved word of God has it in it.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Yea they speak, the Hebrew oracles and yet does overall refer to non verbal picture communications like Jesus making a tree wither, Moses striking the rock, Elisha levitating the Ax Head ect. To many to name.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

at a certain time god chose to give it to only one group.

Acts 7:38 This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and [with] our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:
Rom 3:2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

That's impossible to know for sure. You believe it, as the nazis believed they were the master race, yours is the master religion, based off Judaism and it's absurd claim that they are God's chosen people.

Do you see what this thinking inevitably leads to? Yeah, mass extermination of the "lesser" religions and people. War. More War in "God's" name. It never ends well. It never ends.

God doesn't discriminate or play favorites with races, he reveals to who he reveals what he wishes and being born a specific persuasion doesn't make you better than anyone.

You can't prove that God ever had a chosen people. You can't even prove he exists, you have nothing beyond human tradition and a book. That's speculation, not truth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join