It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is the Bible not considered channeled information?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   

2 Timothy 3:16

King James Bible
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

How is that not a description of channeling? Let's be clear about what channeling is:

the practice of professedly entering a meditative or trancelike state in order to convey messages from a spiritual guide.
dictionary.reference.com...

I've read Christian's opinions on this for years and they overwhelmingly seem to believe that channeling is one of the worst things in the world. What I would like to know is, how do they know that the channeled information they believe in is necessarily superior? I know many of the arguments:

'Factual truth' proves superiority
'Correct prophecies' prove superiority
"I know it's true because of my walk with 'God'" proves superiority

All of those claims are extremely controversial. There are other channeled sources which meet those criteria.

If anyone wants to know why I'm asking this question, it's not primarily because of a Christian. There's a YouTuber who tries to discourage people from studying any channeled information (claiming it's basically worthless) while he frequently refers to the Bible as a basis for his arguments. I don't get it.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
How is that not a description of channeling? Let's be clear about what channeling is:

the practice of professedly entering a meditative or trancelike state in order to convey messages from a spiritual guide.

Can you show me where the Authors of the Bible intentionally entered a trance like state to get messages from God?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

To be a channel you're supposed to 'test the spirits' instead of blindly believing in them.

The spirits and angels that appear in the Bible (ignoring the ones who were physically manifested, the one's who ate and drank) always give power to God and Jesus, they don't accept worship or praise.

Also, the messages in the Bible have been future proofed. Prophecy was given and fulfilled exactly how it was stated it would be - even this coming war in the middle east in Syria was prophesied. This is another test of the spirit - do they speak the truth. Don't you find it odd that these 'channelled' entities are always banging on about how Jesus wasn't God - they don't even bother with other religions., they just harp on and on about Jesus all the time, trying to lessen his impact.

Can you tell me a channel who has been, so far, exactly right in their prophecy? I can't tell you one..... Says a lot.
Also the messages given in the Bible are mostly from dreams and visions, not a direct discourse with an entity.

Also the people in the Bible were given their messages after years of loyal service to God, or needed to be used by God. They didn't form circles and draw weird symbols on their bodies and enter some weird meditation like state.....
edit on 11/10/2012 by Joneselius because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Five different styles of writing have been identified within it. Are you saying that a number of different channellers are involved?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I would regard "channelling" as an attempt to imitate the "inspiration" found in the Bible.
So the differences between them would be
a) "Inspiration" is the orignal, "channelling" is the parody.
b) Even more to the point, "channelling" is an attempt to contact a spiritual power other than (and therefore less than) the Creator God of the Bible, which brings it under the first commandment.
Another reason for objection might be that it resembles, at least, (and may be imitated from) attempting to contact the dead, which is also explicitly forbidden.

edit on 1-3-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

That was mohammed. Although the same thing is written about the Buddha or one of the Eastern religious leaders. It comes from the shamanic tradition to trance into a higher state of consciousness.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

Yes, it's found in other religions, but not the Bible.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   

What you aren't considering is the immunity Christianity gives itself when it involves the bible. They believe it is outside the influence of human nature. Lying isn't a possibility they consider regarding the NT authors, so automatic writing or channeled information is "of 'Satan'" and not a possibility. To them

Paul's claims are Indeed a form of Revelation (channeled info) to Christians, as Paul never met Jesus, so I totally get your reasoning. Christianity is an odd collection of 'characters.'
edit on 1-3-2016 by Mankind because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2016 by Mankind because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mankind

Paul's claims are Indeed a form of Revelation (channeled info) to Christians, as Paul never met Jesus, so I totally get your reasoning. Christianity is an odd collection of 'characters.'

Can you explain how Paul meets the criteria for Channeling as define in the OP?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Can you? I believe that is obvious, no?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mankind

Can you? I believe that is obvious, no?

No, I can't, because it does not fit the criteria.

Again, can you explain how it does?

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Sure. Whatever you say. Even though Paul recieved his information from visions and direct revelation you are finding it difficult to understand that this is a form of channeling. It is, thus it fits said criteria like a glove. Hope that clears up your confusion and have a great day.

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Absolutely agree there

It's interesting to note that most types of CBT at some point will ask you to meditate. I tried this course once and stopped at that point. I argued I wasn't allowed by my faith and was told it was the same os prayer, just not to God

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Maybe the confusion is people who channel spirits are actively contacting a spirit of any kind for words and inspiration
Christians are in a relationship with God, relationship being the difference, maybe chanelling is a understanding to Christians of contacting the dead. Nowadays it's aliens and spirits.

The difference is relationship and who Christians chanell for want of a better word, we chanell our God and He speaks in a low and quiet voice

I understand your question but I see a big difference, it's about the contactee in this case and the reason behind the contact as well as the message given

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

It's also my experience that everyone filled with the Holy Spirit are hearing the same thing. There is nothing that is not in the bible being heard. It's not something outside of biblical concepts that is heard by anyone who is filled with the Spirit. As a matter of fact, if ever there is a question concerning what you have heard, you can always check it against the bible. If what your hearing is from God, it's ALWAYS in the written word.

It might take time for a new believer filled with the Holy Spirit to gain in biblical understanding but given time all Spirit filled believers end up believing the exact same thing, providing there is never a time or place in understanding that a person stops listening. What someone hears is just being spoken in a manner the listener best understands but the message is always the exact same message.

Also I agree with other posters in that the Holy Spirit is not something you control - you cannot control receiving the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, there is nothing you can do in order to cause it, and you cannot control when you hear the Spirit. So in effect, it is NOT channeling in the same sense as new agers understand channeling to be.
edit on 1-3-2016 by Kitana because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Kitana

I agree with that. I do believe that certain things are revealed at differing times to one than to another person. It's not an A B C step by step. Unfortunately you get people that do NOT check their bible and pride can take a hold of us all.

Even the churches in Pauls time had started their own interpretations of things? We are not to blame alone. Stan gets wolves in positions of teaching and power and corrupt.

Regards

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: drevill

This is very true. Even though we are Spirit filled we still have our humanity to contend with - and you are correct, sometimes pride can get in the way. Other times people don't understand the bible, don't have any understanding of the Spirit and think as a result they are believers when in fact they aren't - yet they run around saying they are and teaching incorrect things from their own understanding rather than God's. I think this later is the most common from false teachers and Christians who don't act like it.
edit on 1-3-2016 by Kitana because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Can you explain how Paul meets the criteria for Channeling as define in the OP?

Channeling:

Trance:

Spiritualism. a temporary state in which a medium, with suspension of personal consciousness, is controlled by an intelligence from without and used as a means of communication, as from the dead.

2 Timothy 3:16

King James Bible
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

If 2 Timothy 3:16 isn't describing channeling according to the definitions above, I don't know what ever would be.

Just to be thorough I checked the word "inspiration" used in 2 Timothy 3:16 in the Strong's Concordance:

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
given by inspiration of God.
From theos and a presumed derivative of pneo; divinely breathed in -- given by inspiration of God.
biblehub.com...

I suppose the only thing you're left with is:

Our channeling isn't channeling because it's divine in nature.

How do you know "it's divine in nature"?

Because it's in the Bible.
edit on 1-3-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kitana
a reply to: Raggedyman

There is nothing that is not in the bible being heard. It's not something outside of biblical concepts that is heard by anyone who is filled with the Spirit. As a matter of fact, if ever there is a question concerning what you have heard, you can always check it against the bible. If what your hearing is from God, it's ALWAYS in the written word

Oh snap

That is what I was looking for, exactly
Nailed it in those few words
Awesome

posted on Mar, 1 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   
To a christian it is not, but to an unbias party 'inspired' and channeled are identical. If a prophet is not channeling God, he isn't a prophet. All prophets indeed channel God, and it's possible even today. When I pray to God I channel, I would actually recommend studying Islam and it's concepts of different levels of Revelation if you are open minded, it's quite fitting.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join