It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agnosticism, Theism, Atheism - What does it mean?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

you see you make religion all spiritual and Christian or any other daily practice of believing in a god/higher power/karma etc but loose the basic English meaning of the word religion. Which is to do something regularly.

It is not twisted it is what that word meant when it was first coined in the English in the 1500's.

yes I have a religious dump every day at 10 am.

See we have lost the basic meaning and made it something "spiritual" which then allows us to limit its meaning and not accept it as we please.

Ever wonder why God's word says we will be accounted for every idle word we speak?

Dig deeper into the words, especially those used in the preserved word of God and you will see truths never seen in any modern bible version.

edit on 2-3-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: TerryDon79

Does that mean you don't believe him?

You know that means that you believe that you don't believe him? (or some twisted version of the word belief)

I wasn't talking about myself...

My knowledge of God is not a belief...

I was talking about chester, not god lol

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

you see you make religion all spiritual and Christian or any other daily practice of believing in a god/higher power/karma etc but loose the basic English meaning of the word religion. Which is to do something regularly.

It is not twisted it is what that word meant when it was first coined in the English in the 1500's.

See we have lost the basic meaning and made it something "spiritual" which then allows us to limit its meaning and not accept it as we please.

Ever wonder why God's word says we will be accounted for every idle word we speak?

Dig deeper into the words, especially those used in the preserved word of God and you will see truths never seen in any modern bible version.

No man...

Just no...

Religious, or religion does not mean something thats practiced regularly...

IF that is what your book is telling you... you best get another book, because you're pretty deluded on this issue...

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Type this into google (minus the ")"religion origin of the word" and you get this...

Middle English (originally in the sense ‘life under monastic vows’): from Old French, or from Latin religio(n- ) ‘obligation, bond, reverence’, perhaps based on Latin religare ‘to bind’.

Your explanation is just beyond wrong.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Whaaat?

Agnosticism is most definitely not even close to a religion...there are literally NO founding principles...it's just the acknowledgement that we don't possess the means to attain the knowledge necessary to validate or invalidate a creator/god.

An atheist doesn't practice anything....and it's not a belief that there is NO god...it's rather the absence of the statement that there IS a god...The conclusion that an atheist believes in the foundational principle of "there is no god" is a deduced assumption based on nonexistant claims...

The statements: "I don't believe in a god." and "I believe there is no god." are not the same in the way that you posit them to be.

A2D

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Religiously, as an adverb...means something entirely different than religion, as a noun....

A2D

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I've actually seen a lot of Christians pull this...

They do it with science when arguing evolution as well

Im convinced its nothing more then an attempt to insult people that do not have a religion by claiming that they actually do and they're not aware of it...

thus leveling the playing field by means of reducing it to schoolyard nonsense...

Like... "i know you are but what am i" *sticks out tongue*

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   

You acknowledge that there are separate meanings to single words in English, yet at the same time you ignore (or do not understand) that there are separate meanings to single words in English.

Remarkable.

Do you honestly not understand that the term 'Religion' as in 'to do something excessively' is an entirely different concept compared to the term 'religion' as in 'set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.'?

Can you honestly not comprehend the difference in the two descriptions of the word "Religion"?

Firstly, Atheists don't go about there day practicing anything, so what you're trying to warp the word religion into doesn't even apply to atheism anyway. Secondly, Atheism states nothing about the nature of things, nothing about the universe, nothing about the creation of anything, nothing about anything, so the standard use of the word "religion" doesn't apply to that either.

Yes, we understand that religion can mean an excessive practice or use of something. Once again, how does a negative, being 'not believing' suddenly equate to a practice?

Once again I must ask: Do you make a hobby out of not collecting stamps?

And then you pray to the sacred dump and praise that it has created the holy scent within your life that you must breathith in to be accepted to turd heaven.

No?

Guess it's not a religion in the context that we're discussing...

We haven't lost anything. I think you may have lost your mind, but collectively as a human race, no we didn't 'lose the meaning of the word religion'. Why? Because the ORIGINAL meaning for the word religion applies to the worshiping and belief systems that make up the stories of gods...

"religiously" as in 'doing something often' only came from the word religion! Do you not see this?

If my name was Wade would you come up to me and state "You must be made of water because you're name is Wade and to Wade is to walk in water, when partially immersed".

Ever wonder why there are older religions than Christianity that have nothing to do with Christianity and have never once stated "we will be accounted for every idle word we speak?"

No, you don't wonder at all. You don't ever consider anyone else's religion but yours, even your own personal religion in which you stink up the house at 10am. All you think of is your religion and your religion alone. All you assume is that everyone else lives like you do and there cannot possibly be any variation in life, like a person actually being able to live without having to constantly reassure themselves their lack of believe is real.

edit on 2/3/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree

Whaaat?

Agnosticism is most definitely not even close to a religion...there are literally NO founding principles...it's just the acknowledgement that we don't possess the means to attain the knowledge necessary to validate or invalidate a creator/god.

An atheist doesn't practice anything....and it's not a belief that there is NO god...it's rather the absence of the statement that there IS a god...The conclusion that an atheist believes in the foundational principle of "there is no god" is a deduced assumption based on nonexistant claims...

The statements: "I don't believe in a god." and "I believe there is no god." are not the same in the way that you posit them to be.

A2D

Bravo!!!!!

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

And then you pray to the sacred dump and praise that it has created the holy sent within your life that you must breathidth in to be accepted to turd heaven?

LMAO!!!

ya beat me to it...

Classic bro

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

And then you pray to the sacred dump and praise that it has created the holy sent within your life that you must breathidth in to be accepted to turd heaven?

This has got to be the best sentence I have seen on the internet.

Damnit Akragon!
edit on 023002/3/1616 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

I don't think it is a conscious decision to insult people...rather a deeply flawed misunderstanding of the word "belief".... Are there any threads on what actually entails a belief system here on ATS?

A2D

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agree2Disagree

I don't think it is a conscious decision to insult people...rather a deeply flawed misunderstanding of the word "belief".... Are there any threads on what actually entails a belief system here on ATS?

I don't, dare I say... "BELIEVE" so

Honestly though, no I don't think there are. But I would find it incredibly humorous if ChesterJohn would teach ATS what a Belief System is and what concepts apply to it, like his 10am dump.

I did, however, make a topic asking people 'what are the concepts behind the belief sytem of Atheism?', as I wanted to hear other peoples opinion on the matter.

edit on 2/3/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

Is Agnosticism and Atheism a system of thoughts that one believes to be true?

Does it have regular basis upon which the system of thought one believes rests?

Do people vehemently defend those systems of though they believe or choose to be true?

Is it logical to defend a system of thought if one does not believe it to be true?

Let's just take Atheist for a moment.

I am so glad to see that an Atheist does not lack the capacity to believe in a god but rather chooses to not believe in a god.

So why does an Atheist take time to defend their choice not to believe in a god, and try to win people over to that system of thought, if it is just their personal choice and not something they want others to join in with them to be fellow Atheists? i.e. www.athiest.org.

Would not all the activities of defence of the system, its daily practice of defending that system and get others to join in not constitute a RELIGION of sorts? Look at definition # 4 below quoted from the Merriam Webster Dictionary online, does not the system of thought of Atheism not fall into that definition?

Full Definition of religion

1) a : the state of a religious b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

2) : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

3) : archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness

4) : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Agnosticism would also fall into the # 4 definition.

Atheism has a system of thought and belief and a choice to act upon that system of thought or belief they lack the belief in a god. They organize and have meetings and invite others to those meeting places. and actively defend it and win others over to it.

MY friends that is a religion.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
DBL POST

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Agnostics absolutely would NOT fall into number 4.

Agnostics don't make a determination either way due to lack of proof of there either being or not being a god.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

OK s there is your basis of the system of Agnosticism.

Now do you organize, and try to win others to that system of thought?

Is not n Agnostic one who a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God?

Do you make a choice to believe and practice agnosticism?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Is not n Agnostic one who a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God?

Adding ism at the end of the word doesn't make it a belief system.

The only people who push to their way of thinking are ones of religion.

How many televangelists are there? Now how many teleatheists/teleagnostics are there?

How many churches are there for all the worlds religions? How many churches teare there for atheists/agnostics.

As has been stated NUMEROUS times, not believing or the lack of belief DOES NOT equal a belief.

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Is Agnosticism and Atheism a system of thoughts that one believes to be true?

No.

There is only one thing that defines all Atheists: a lack of belief in a god

There is only one thing that defines all Agnostics: a conclusion that a god is not known and cannot be known

Does it have regular basis upon which the system of thought one believes rests?

No. Because there are no universal beliefs in Atheism or Agnosticism

Do people vehemently defend those systems of though they believe or choose to be true?

Read above

Is it logical to defend a system of thought if one does not believe it to be true?

There is no system

So why does an Atheist take time to defend their choice not to believe in a god, and try to win people over to that system of thought, if it is just their personal choice and not something they want others to join in with them to be fellow Atheists? i.e. www.athiest.org.

That's not a universal act of atheism. If a single, individual atheist feels like doing so, that's on them and them alone.

There is no 'book of atheism' that describes the 'followers of atheism' to spread the 'position of atheism'.

There are some Christians that believe the earth is flat. I do not automatically assume that every single Christian believes so simply because a small fraction of their population does.

Would not all the activities of defence of the system

What system? You have yet to define 'the system'.

Atheism has a system of thought and belief

You keep saying it as if the more you say it the more valid it becomes.

Tell me, what is the 'system of thought' and 'belief system' that make up Atheism?

posted on Mar, 2 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

How many times do we have to say "you can't practice a negative".

Every day I practice not being in Africa because I live in Canada is not a logical statement.

How about you actually define all the 'practices' and 'beliefs' and 'worships' and 'gatherings' that define all Atheists and Agnostics?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join